Replacing a PS3

mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

My PS3 (5.5 year old 40GB) has died on me. I've had it repaired before from YLOD 6 months ago but this time it's RLOD and I'm not getting it fixed again.

So, I'm looking at getting a cheap 12GB super slim and transferring over the 500GB HDD in my old PS3.

The question is - what should I consider before doing that? I mean, I have PS+ so all my saves are on the cloud, I don't think that'll be a problem. Obviously there's a hell of a lot of downloading to be done to get my PSN games back, and I'll have lost my burned music, but other than that is it pretty straightforward to switch?

The main thing I'm not sure of is will the HDD caddy from my 40GB work in a 12GB super slim?

Other than design/build quality is there any difference between the slim and superslim? Ports etc?

Thank in advance chaps

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know for certain but think you need a different cradle though are available to buy
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers Allan. I've tried Googling but it's surprisingly hard to find a definitive answer. Most places say you need to get the mounting bracket if you want to upgrade, but don't comment on whether or not the mounting bracket in older PS3s is the same thing!
  • D3XT3RD3XT3R Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In regards to the Drive caddy, you will need the new one I found this out when my fat PS3 failed and I got the super slim version. no probs though as I ordered it at the same time.
    Super slim caddy vs Fat caddy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've ordered both 12GB PS3 and the new bracket together, they arrive Tuesday.

Not looking forward to extensive update downloads every time I try to play a game for the next little while :(

And searching through my download list for add-ons too, my DL list is ridiculously long
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    YLOD repairs do not work for long as to be honest they need reballing and that is expensive, only worth doing if you can't recover your saves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did get it repaired back in November when it went YLOD, it's been fine since then until now, 6 months extra life ain't too bad I suppose.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YLOD repairs do not work for long as to be honest they need reballing and that is expensive, only worth doing if you can't recover your saves.

It's not tough to do though, all you need is a heat gun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    It's not tough to do though, all you need is a heat gun.

I recovered a 40GB with a plastic welder long enough to transfer saves to a 320GB slim.

However reballing is a three figure sum, cheaper to just get another PS3
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojobrew wrote: »
    I've ordered both 12GB PS3 and the new bracket together, they arrive Tuesday.

Not looking forward to extensive update downloads every time I try to play a game for the next little while :(

And searching through my download list for add-ons too, my DL list is ridiculously long

As you have PS+, it might be worth selecting a handful (armful maybe) of games which you anticipate wanting to play, launching them, then cancelling the launch at the update stage and quitting back to the XMB.

This SHOULD mean that the games will update at your next scheduled auto-update slot (5am every day for me), saving you the bother next time you want to play it.

Of course this doesn't help with any disc-based games you need to reinstall, but it's a start
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not a bad shout Norfolk, might do that.