Better Call Saul

SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's been confirmed that a spinoff of Breaking Bad is happening and it is about Saul Goodman.

So stoked!

Comments

• Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news. I'll certainly be giving that one a try.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Saul is a brilliant character. Really looking forward to this, should be more light-hearted than Breaking Bad I think, seeing as Saul is a quite comedic character a lot of the time.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We automatically thought Saul was going to survive BB because of talking of a spinoff - But as this is going to take the form of a prequel - all bets are off again!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Saul Goodman's license plate = LWYRUP :)
  • rovermacrovermac Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a prequel of course they can reintroduce mike,gus and even jessie
  • rovermacrovermac Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a prequel of course they may reintroduce Mike Gus and Jessie
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    We might also find out whose those guys Saul was terrified of in his first
    appearance were....

AMC must be pleased- after the drubbings "Hell on Wheels", "The Killing US" and
    "Low Winter Sun" got, here's a new AMC show people might actually like!
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We might also find out whose those guys Saul was terrified of in his first
    appearance were....

AMC must be pleased- after the drubbings "Hell on Wheels", "The Killing US" and
    "Low Winter Sun" got, here's a new AMC show people might actually like!

Both 'The Killing' and 'Hell on Wheels' did 3 seasons so you can’t consider them flops. Admittedly they weren’t as successful for AMC as Mad Men and Breaking Bad.
    But don’t speak too soon, spin offs often flop themselves. Anyone remember ‘Joey’. :D
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Both 'The Killing' and 'Hell on Wheels' did 3 seasons so you can’t consider them flops. Admittedly they weren’t as successful for AMC as Mad Men and Breaking Bad.
    But don’t speak too soon, spin offs often flop themselves. Anyone remember ‘Joey’. :D

Anyone remember Frasier?
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Frasier?

True. But you can't deny spin offs fail more times than they succeed .
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's not as if Mike, Walt, Jesse etc. will be popping and being guest stars in some episodes as I believe the plan is to have the show set a good bit before BB ever happens, so there would have been no reason for any of them to be in his office.

If they do decide to set it close to the same timeline, they could cleverly edit an episode by having scenes in Saul's office being interrupted by Jesse or Walt, as they have burst in on people before IIRC or on Saul when he's on the phone etc. Why not get those actors back, and create a story around them and tie it in to BB in that way?
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    True. But you can't deny spin offs fail more times than they succeed .

Three-quarters of ALL new US network shows fail to make it past one season, so a similar failure rate among spin-offs should be expected. But for US cable series, it is rare for a series to NOT go past season one. So the history of US spin-offs really doesn't tell us anything about how a spin-off from Breaking Bad is likely to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not so sure about this, though I'll happily give the first episode a go when it rolls around.

The reason I'm not so sure is because I think Saul as a character can only really work in the context of a show like Breaking Bad. It's an almost interminably dark and brutal show, where Saul plays a vital role - not only in terms of his role plot-wise, but also in the fact that he, essentially, acts as the show's comic relief. He's great at that, undoubtedly. But I'm doubtful as to whether the character could carry a whole show on its own. The reason Saul works so well in Breaking Bad, to my mind, is because he provides a distraction from the drama and darkness of the rest of the show (though arguably Skinny Pete and Badger do this as well). Take that away and you're left with a dodgy, over-confident lawyer and little else.

Though with Vince Gilligan at the helm, I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll prove me wrong and that it'll be just as impressive as Breaking Bad.
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure about this, though I'll happily give the first episode a go when it rolls around.

The reason I'm not so sure is because I think Saul as a character can only really work in the context of a show like Breaking Bad. It's an almost interminably dark and brutal show, where Saul plays a vital role - not only in terms of his role plot-wise, but also in the fact that he, essentially, acts as the show's comic relief. He's great at that, undoubtedly. But I'm doubtful as to whether the character could carry a whole show on its own. The reason Saul works so well in Breaking Bad, to my mind, is because he provides a distraction from the drama and darkness of the rest of the show (though arguably Skinny Pete and Badger do this as well). Take that away and you're left with a dodgy, over-confident lawyer and little else.

Though with Vince Gilligan at the helm, I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll prove me wrong and that it'll be just as impressive as Breaking Bad.

Hopefully we'll see another side to his character besides his clown facade. He didn't get rich by being dumb, so will be good to see some of his other side.

I'm looking forward to watching.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It says in the article below that it's due to air in November. Also, it mentions that Cranston and Paul have been approached to make appearances.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/breaking-bad-is-back-for-more-bad/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It says in the article below that it's due to air in November. Also, it mentions that Cranston and Paul have been approached to make appearances.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/breaking-bad-is-back-for-more-bad/

Jesse can realistically appear, as I don't recall it ever being explicitly stated wether or not the two had met before the events of Breaking Bad. Walter, however, would have to be a very small cameo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CamCam wrote: »
    Jesse can realistically appear, as I don't recall it ever being explicitly stated wether or not the two had met before the events of Breaking Bad. Walter, however, would have to be a very small cameo.

I think they will just be used to draw people in to watch.

Also, although it's a prequel, they won't be able to go that far back or else the lead actor will look too old for the role. I'm quite looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they will just be used to draw people in to watch

I think you're right. I suppose the obvious danger is a hugely contrived appearance for Cranston and Paul that comes across as crowbarring them in for the sake of it.

I suppose they could do something completely out of the ballpark and just have them as background characters. Maybe Saul is using the car wash and we see Walter serving a customer on the background or something like that - i imagine not a lot of people would be expecting that.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the cameo from the 2 could involve Walt teaching and Jessie being taught by him in class, Saul could be there for whatever reason.
  • BigPatBigPat Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I think you're right. I suppose the obvious danger is a hugely contrived appearance for Cranston and Paul that comes across as crowbarring them in for the sake of it.

I suppose they could do something completely out of the ballpark and just have them as background characters. Maybe Saul is using the car wash and we see Walter serving a customer on the background or something like that - i imagine not a lot of people would be expecting that.

But if it's a prequel Walter wouldn't own the car wash, surely. He'd still be a cancer-free high school teacher.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigPat wrote: »
    But if it's a prequel Walter wouldn't own the car wash, surely. He'd still be a cancer-free high school teacher.

He worked at the car wash part time though didn't he?

He was working there already in the very first episode if memory serves
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesse knew of Saul being a CRIMINAL lawyer so perhaps they did something in the past?
  • BigPatBigPat Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    He worked at the car wash part time though didn't he?

He was working there already in the very first episode if memory serves

Apologies, then, I must've forgotten that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigPat wrote: »
    Apologies, then, I must've forgotten that.

F**k you and your eyebrows. :p Walt's classic line when he quit the job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say, I don't really give a crap about Saul. Good character, but unless they steer well clear of a 'dodgy criminal case of the week' template (which I'm almost certain they won't because what else could they do with him?), I'll be far more interested in following the activities of that guy that did all the dirty work for him. I forget his name, but he stole the show on Breaking Bad, especially in the last season.