Help connecting Sky+ HD in another room

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
Forum Member
I am trying to connect my sky+ HD box to be able to watch in the bedroom. The cable has been fed through - fine - I have set the RF out channel on the sky box to 'ON' and connected the cable but no picture. I then realised that the TV upstairs is a LCD TV monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 711mp LCD TV Monitor)- but it has an aerial in, a scart and at the side the yellow - red and white sockets - I have been watching Tv through a freeview box on this tv but that was connected with a scart so I wondered is there any way that the RF2 out from the sky+ box can be connected to this Tv / Monitor can't really afford a new TV, can the RF2 coaxial cable be connected or converted to a scart. I am not really a technophobe but this has got the better of me now and my head is mush :confused::D:mad: any advice other than ' you need a new tv love' lol would be very gratefully appreciated

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    The lead from the Sky+ box connects to the aerial in of the Monitor/TV - which requires the Monitor/TV to have an analogue tuner, which presumably it does as you've got a Freeview box connected to make it digital.

So where have you connected the aerial lead from the Sky box?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Hi there,
    I connected it to Ant In on the back of the TV but when I try to tune a channel in nothing is found, yesterday I had a very fuzzy picture but now nothing at all - should I try and change the RF channel on the sky box, I know the range is 21 to 68 but do I have to try every channel between these numbers :)

p.s. the freeview box was connected with a scart
    Forum Member
    sammib66 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I connected it to Ant In on the back of the TV but when I try to tune a channel in nothing is found, yesterday I had a very fuzzy picture but now nothing at all - should I try and change the RF channel on the sky box, I know the range is 21 to 68 but do I have to try every channel between these numbers :)

Pretty well - but the default is 68, which isn't used by terrestrial transmitters, so is normally clear.

Assuming the RF2 output from the Sky boxes goes directly to the TV?, and the normal TV aerial goes in the Sky box?, then unplugging the aerial input to the Sky box will remove any possible intereference, to allow you to confirm the TV is tuned and working from the Sky box.

Do you still have analogue terrestrial channels?, and does the Monitor/TV work on them?.

Also, does your aerial lead loop through the Freeview box?, because I installed some Triax boxes this week (with RF modulators in them) only to find the incoming signal doesn't loop through the box, which I thought was completely bizarre :confused:
    Forum Member
    I do not have any terrestrial TV channels tuned on the TV as I only ever used it with the freeview box, have never tuned it to regular channels BBC1, BBC2 etc just had the freeview connected to TV with scart and aerial to freeview box :confused::confused::confused:
    Think I might have to get an engineer in to do it but you never know if you are getting a quality engineer who isn't going to rip you off
    Forum Member
    will I have to take the cable from the sky box through something else and then to the tv - what is an RF modulator - I have got allsorts of bits and pieces like a signal amplifier and a TV link thing
    Forum Member
    will I have to take the cable from the sky box through something else and then to the tv - what is an RF modulator - I have got allsorts of bits and pieces like a signal amplifier and a TV link thing

No, as a minimum the aerial lead should go directly from the Sky box to the TV, where does it go currently?.
    Forum Member
    I have a coaxial cable from RF2 out at the back of the sky box connected to ANT In (aerial in) back of TV, am currently trying to retune the TV to different RF channels, I have tried 68, 69 & 63 now trying 64
    Forum Member
    I have a coaxial cable from RF2 out at the back of the sky box connected to ANT In (aerial in) back of TV, am currently trying to retune the TV to different RF channels, I have tried 68, 69 & 63 now trying 64

Will the TV find the existing terrestrial analogue channels?, that would prove the tuner is working.
    Forum Member
    not sure what you mean the channels were ok through the freeview box, so do you mean plugging the aerial cable directly into the tv from the actual aerial and trying to tune in some channels, I think I am being a bit thick now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be missing something or not read properly
    but have you scarted the tv monitor and sky box together?
    it was just you said previously you had the freeview box connected this way and hadn't said (unless i missed it) how your connecting the two?
    Forum Member
    I have connected the TV monitor to the sky box via a coaxial cable (the proper sky double shielded one just bought from cpc) from the RF2 out (sky box) to the ANT In connection on the TV. I don't think I could connect the second Tv to the sky box via a scart as I would probably need a 6 meter scart lead - I think this is just going to remain a technical mystery and I will have to go back to freeview :(
    Forum Member
    OMG - now I have inadvertently changed the language in the menu of the TV and cannot get it back to English - can anyone help with this - is there like a restore to factory settings or something on a TV :((
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have connected the TV monitor to the sky box via a coaxial cable (the proper sky double shielded one just bought from cpc) from the RF2 out (sky box) to the ANT In connection on the TV. I don't think I could connect the second Tv to the sky box via a scart as I would probably need a 6 meter scart lead - I think this is just going to remain a technical mystery and I will have to go back to freeview :(

So you meant you have left the Sky box where it was yes?
    i was thinking you had moved it into the bedroom

re the language best to look for online tv manual and follow instructions
    Forum Member
    No the sky+ box is in the lounge downstairs and I am trying to connect a second tv in the bedroom via rf2 out and a tv link for the remote control but I just cannot tune into the sky+ box:confused::confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought i might have missed summat lol
    have you been in the Sky menu, because isnt there somewhere you have to power the rf2 outlets?
    someone above who knows a bit more may tell you, i just thought with a tv link there was summat you had to do?

back in a mo' will see if i can find info

ok i am not sure if this is any use, so apology if not

FITTING ONE TV LINK TV LINK EQUIPMENT

To install your TV Link you will need to run a length of coax cable from the socket marked RF2 on the back of your Sky Digibox directly to the TV you wish to watch Sky on. Simply plug the cable into one side of the TV Link and then plug the TV Link into the TV aerial socket.

The TV Link has to be powered up, carrying out the following procedure with your sky remote control and in front of your Digibox does this.

Press SERVICES
    Press 4 for SYSTEM SETUP
    Press 0 then 1 then Press SELECT - to enter Installers Menu
    Press 4 for RF OUTLETS
    scroll down to RF OUTLET POWER SUPPLY and turn it to on.
    Scroll down to SAVE NEW SETTINGS and Press SELECT to store the changes
    Press BACKUP to go Back to your Sky channel
    Having done this you will find that the little light on the TV Link will now be lit confirming that you have correctly turned on the power to the link and that your cable and connectors have been fitted correctly.

Once you have tuned your TV to the Sky channel you will find you can control your digibox functions from here using a Sky remote control (or Sky+ remote control if you have a Sky+ machine)
    Forum Member
    I have tried all of the above and I really do not understand why i cannot tune in the RF2 out channel from the sky digibox especially when I was able to watch TV from the freeview box before - it is going to be really something simple that i am not doing :cry::cry::cry:
    Forum Member
    I have tried all of the above and I really do not understand why i cannot tune in the RF2 out channel from the sky digibox especially when I was able to watch TV from the freeview box before - it is going to be really something simple that i am not doing :cry::cry::cry:

You still haven't answered about tuning analogue stations on the TV, the Freeview box doesn't matter - can you get analogue TV on the TV?.
    Forum Member
    Nigel you are so patient thank you.
    No I plugged the regular aerial into the tv, the cable that comes from the aerial on the roof, and I cannot tune anything in, but would it not have to be a digital aerial as the one up there has been there for ever although it was plugged into the freeview box. You are going to say that I need a new TV I guess lol:):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sammi you need to press the input button on your tv remote and change from dtv to atv or tv and then youll be on the analogue tuner then tune it in and it will find your sky channels it sounds like your trying to tune in on digital mode as opposed to analogue
    just a thought
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i reckon your trying to tune in when your tv input is set to scart or dtv or something other than atv/tv
    Forum Member
    yesat22 wrote: »
    i reckon your trying to tune in when your tv input is set to scart or dtv or something other than atv/tv

You are probably right but as I have stupidly changed the language on the tv in the menu and can't figure out how I did it I cannot read the menu properly:mad::mad::eek::eek:
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how I can reset my TV back to factory settings or original Install / Plug & Play state as I cannot read the language I have inadvertently changed my TV to :eek::eek::eek:
    Forum Member
    yesat22 wrote: »
    sammi you need to press the input button on your tv remote and change from dtv to atv or tv and then youll be on the analogue tuner then tune it in and it will find your sky channels it sounds like your trying to tune in on digital mode as opposed to analogue
    just a thought

As he's got a Freeview box conected to the TV, presumably it's not got a digital tuner?.

As for his menus, he can download the user manual at:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200508/20050829103832187_BN59-00391G-00Eng.pdf
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how I can reset my TV back to factory settings or original Install / Plug & Play state as I cannot read the language I have inadvertently changed my TV to :eek::eek::eek:

I have now got english back yippeeee - not speaking russian anymore - now for trying to tune in to sky box again:):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    info menu mute power to reset to factory i think,sorry nigel i meant its on another input rather than the analogue input