Homes under the Hammer

marylumarylu Posts: 422
Forum Member
Not liking Dion Dublin this morning. I love Martin & Lucy & they sound genuinely interested when talking to the people involved. I know it's a new thing for Dion & he may get better but why change a very successful formula?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Martin or Lucy are leaving or have asked for a reduced workload which would make a 3rd presenter a sensible idea.
    However I'm not keen either, I like the set up as it is, he's a personable likeable chap but I feel it's just the BBC fulfilling its hell bent duty to put more black faces onscreen.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    I only caught the last 5 mins and do not see the point of an extra presenter. They even looked squashed on screen.

Maybe one of them are leaving but normally they just leave and a new replacement is put in place.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Maybe Lucy is pregnant with Martins baby.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,987
    Forum Member
    Crikey is this tired old has-been of a programme still on? Is it still the same formula?

Let's join everyone in a depressing auction house and see what dilapidated but with potential two up two down they've bought in a dodgy area you wouldn't want to walk through in daylight, never mind nighttime. Presenter points at a wall, "Oh look, it's made of bricks!" Cue "Brick House" by The Commodores. But what happened? We need to know! Well they made £42.50 profit but aren't selling it, it's going on the rental market. Oh. Well that was disappointing.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    I watched this a lot at one time because the 'reveal' can be spectacular when someone has made something beautiful to live in. Unfortunately there are too many beige finishes for the rental market so I only watch occasionally now.

Having watched this morning I agree that the new presenter adds nothing to the programme. In fact he seemed out of his depth and a bit wooden in his presentation.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I watched this a lot at one time because the 'reveal' can be spectacular when someone has made something beautiful to live in. Unfortunately there are too many beige finishes for the rental market so I only watch occasionally now.

Having watched this morning I agree that the new presenter adds nothing to the programme. In fact he seemed out of his depth and a bit wooden in his presentation.

Agree on both points.

What I hate is when a house has some beautiful originals features and fireplaces, they rip them out and make the room look so bland.
  • Sun Glasses RonSun Glasses Ron Posts: 17,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched today & whilst I respect Dion as football/pundit thought he didn't fit in well with this program

Maybe it was nerves & will improve in coming weeks?
    Forum Member
    Watched today & whilst I respect Dion as football/pundit thought he didn't fit in well with this program

Maybe it was nerves & will improve in coming weeks?

Maybe he should stick to talking about football.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read somewhere that Lucy and Martin weren't very happy because their hours were being cut. Mind you that was paper talk so I wouldn't take it as gospel.

However, I don't see the point of another presenter. It works very well with two.
  • Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they should've gone back to having two teams of presenters alternating shows which would be better than 3 presenters as it unbalanced the show, Dion seemed a bit wooden but it's early days yet, he needs to find his huth personna
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    He started already? I would've thought him joining would've been announced when he started filming - which had to be months before he was actually unveiled. I wasn't expecting him to show up on screen until the Autumn!
    Forum Member
    Dean Dare wrote: »
    Dion seemed a bit wooden but it's early days yet, he needs to find his huth personna

According to his wiki page he's been a tv presenter for a while so he shouldn't still be wooden. I don't know what he's like when he's presenting sports programmes as I have no interest in sport, but maybe that's where he should stay.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Anyone noticed Martin & Lucy seem a bit over friendly towards each other? Big smiles when looking at each other and grinning away. When they are in shot together they are basically touching each other how close they are. No other duo on tv does it not even kirsty and phil.
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Crikey is this tired old has-been of a programme still on? Is it still the same formula?

Let's join everyone in a depressing auction house and see what dilapidated but with potential two up two down they've bought in a dodgy area you wouldn't want to walk through in daylight, never mind nighttime. Presenter points at a wall, "Oh look, it's made of bricks!" Cue "Brick House" by The Commodores. But what happened? We need to know! Well they made £42.50 profit but aren't selling it, it's going on the rental market. Oh. Well that was disappointing.

I love this, brilliant summing up :D:D:D
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always watch Homes but gave up on it yesterday as the new format wasn't doing it for me. Got nothing against Dion, and like his football punditry, but he seemed wrong for the show IMO.
  • Danno2020Danno2020 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    I think he's doing a better job than I'd expected. His walk around the house today though felt like a school boy doing a presentation in front of his class, bit nervous and forced. Lacks the enthusiasm Lucy and Martin have. They go bananas over original features and the like!

Also, imagine buying a property at auction and a producer comes up asking if you want to be on Homes. OMG yes! I'll finally meet Lucy or Martin I watch all the time! And on the day, the new guy turns up. Guttered!
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I just can't get used to this new bloke, I'm afraid. I don't find what he says to be in any way convincing.
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think with Dion I associate him with football. If they hired Gordon Ramsay, I'd be waiting for swearing and cooking references. Dion's nice to look at though.
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy is a charming presenter. Martin always locks his hands together in that "I don't know what else to do with them" kind of way as he looks dubious and slightly bemused as the latest serial buy-to-letter announces a budget of £100 and a timetable of 3 days for a complete refurbishment.

Haven't seen the latest yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's fine, It's just that his inclusion in HUTH is unwarranted, if it ain't broke, etc.
  • Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as Dion doesn't do this if Martin argues with him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAu1oVeVFU4
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enough about the new presenter, what about the new director? The show is full of Dutch angles and barrel distortion, it's looks like it's being directed by Terry Gilliam.

I understand the creative use of those techniques in the right place but when you are trying to show the great job that someone has done on a house it isn't really a good idea to show the floors sloping at 10 degrees and the lintels all curved and wonky.
  • IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    Early days yet and too soon to judge.

I think he will get better with a bit more confidence.and experience in the field, no pun intended! :D
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Enough about the new presenter, what about the new director? The show is full of Dutch angles and barrel distortion, it's looks like it's being directed by Terry Gilliam.

I understand the creative use of those techniques in the right place but when you are trying to show the great job that someone has done on a house it isn't really a good idea to show the floors sloping at 10 degrees and the lintels all curved and wonky.

That sounds quite entertaining actually.
    God awful program, boring and annoying with it's music puns.
    Hells teeth, just had a look at whats on the iplayer server, series 13 episode 75, series 19 episode 5, how long has this program been on, why is it still on.
    The mind boggles, probably more entertaining and life enhancing programs on Cbeebies or CBBC.

Oh well, saw the thread got curious, curiosity sated.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Maybe Lucy is pregnant with Martins baby.

That just put me off my lunch :o