Sony's portable consoles

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
Forum Member
Giving sonys history, do you think that they will ever make portable consoles that could be a threat to nintendo. I would of thought that people would begin to get sick of Mario and other big names they have under their belt. I feel sony has better diversity in their games and should be making strides in the portable console marker by now.

Comments

• ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Well, they did shift 80 million PSPs. But people prefered these games on a home console instead.

I think Sony portable consoles are okay; they are aimed for the older people than the DS/3DS. But people prefer Nintendo handhelds just about everywhere in the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    They make the best selling non Nintedo portables.

Vita is superb
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Vita is great, apart from when it can't see the memory card and you have to spend 5-20mins taking it out, blowing, restarting, restoring blah blah blah - a gen 1 vita and 32gb £50 memory card! Extorth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    blueplain wrote: »
    Giving sonys history, do you think that they will ever make portable consoles that could be a threat to nintendo. I would of thought that people would begin to get sick of Mario and other big names they have under their belt. I feel sony has better diversity in their games and should be making strides in the portable console marker by now.

Resistance is a mediocre series anyway, but Resistance Vita is absolute garbage. Call of Duty Vita borders on unplayable. Uncharted Vita is merely average.

Sony is trying to bring console-quality experiences to handhelds, and failing. The best handheld games are those that embrace their handheld nature, from Tetris and Pokemon to Super Mario 3D Land and Pushmo.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JakeMurrin wrote: »
    Sony is trying to bring console-quality experiences to handhelds, and failing. The best handheld games are those that embrace their handheld nature, from Tetris and Pokemon to Super Mario 3D Land and Pushmo.
    How exactly does the gameplay of Super Mario 3D Land differ to the numerous other Super Mario titles on the home consoles?
    Forum Member
    JakeMurrin wrote: »
    Resistance is a mediocre series anyway, but Resistance Vita is absolute garbage. Call of Duty Vita borders on unplayable. Uncharted Vita is merely average.

However Killzone Mercenary is brilliant, and there is of course a game no one else does like that Little Big Planet
    Forum Member
    Conroy wrote: »
    How exactly does the gameplay of Super Mario 3D Land differ to the numerous other Super Mario titles on the home consoles?

There's a huge and obvious difference between the nonlinear star hunts of 64/Sunshine/Galaxy and the bite-sized obstacle courses of 3D Land.

Of course, even more obvious examples would be Plants vs. Zombies and Angry Birds.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vita is good for playing a game whilst the football, cricket and cycling is on in the background.

The best games are also the ones that aren't considered Triple A - Zero Escape, Persona, Gravity Rush.

Football Manager is coming for the Vita so that is another time drain.

With the PSP and PS2/3 dual releases such as one of the Tomb Raiders I bought and played the hand-held version so my limited time on the main console could be spent with other games.
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The best games are also the ones that aren't considered Triple A - Zero Escape, Persona, Gravity Rush.

Very true.
  • Anime_FanAnime_Fan Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Thing I hate about the Vita is that there are quite a few games that would be better on a TV & that I'd much prefer to play on a TV.

Uncharted, Wipeout & Persona for instance. All titles I want to play but not on a handheld as I struggle with the smaller screens.

I think the biggest problem with the Vita & perhaps why its not sold well is that there throwing titles onto it that don't really suit the handheld experience.
    Console titles which require many hours of gameplay are not really suited to a handheld. The DS does better because it does handheld titles right, small, fun pick up & play stuff that you can play for a few minutes at a time while on the train or whatever.

The VitaTV thing they announced looks interesting though, Im more interested in playing that than I am the actual Vita handheld which has been gathering dust for a while now.
    Forum Member
    I am very short sighted so glasses off to use mine
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anime_Fan wrote: »
    Thing I hate about the Vita is that there are quite a few games that would be better on a TV & that I'd much prefer to play on a TV.

Uncharted, Wipeout & Persona for instance. All titles I want to play but not on a handheld as I struggle with the smaller screens.

I think the biggest problem with the Vita & perhaps why its not sold well is that there throwing titles onto it that don't really suit the handheld experience.
    Console titles which require many hours of gameplay are not really suited to a handheld. The DS does better because it does handheld titles right, small, fun pick up & play stuff that you can play for a few minutes at a time while on the train or whatever.

The VitaTV thing they announced looks interesting though, Im more interested in playing that than I am the actual Vita handheld which has been gathering dust for a while now.

I actually think the structure of Persona is better for a handheld. It is very episodic.