Adele became famous because of who?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Adele only became famous because of Susan Boyle... So SuBo's fans are saying.
It was when Susan did the audition on BGT opened the doors in the US for singers like Adele, Florence and other female artists from the UK to succeed there.

I know it's not about Subo, she's just a karaoke singer at best and nothing more.

So why are British artists selling well there?

Comments

• Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Subo ''fans''

What demographic are they and where is this being said! lol

If any female British artist opened doors in the mid 00s for our gals in the States it was a certain Ms Winehouse. Though I think Adele's talent, not only as a singer but a song writer too, sells itself.
  • speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wasn't adele out before boyle came on the scene?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I thought it was Amy Winehouse that started the British invasion...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele became famous because of who?

This might be a long shot, but I'd guess that Adele became famous because of herself.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    What a silly thread. That is all.
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele became famous because she was at the right place, at the right time, with the right style and music.

End of.
  • NScotNScot Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Don't take any notice of the Susan looney fans, they have no clue at all
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    Adele became famous because she was at the right place, at the right time, with the right style and music.

End of.

This.

Sometimes there are trends and attempts to cash in on the latest thing, but I really don't think you can apply this to someone like Adele. She's a juggernaut of her own making.

I also think Susan Boyle is a far better singer than your average glorified karaoke singer, even though I don't think she's as groundbreaking as others do.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Adele is just an anomaly. I like her music but artistically it isn't exceptional or unique, I just think it was a combination of relateability in her songs and hype.

Have to hand it to her. The curvy girl from Tottenham brought nothing else but her voice and some break up songs and slayed EVERYONE.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »

End of.

I'd agree with this. Let's be honest, Adele is a music machine. She went from peak to peak by herself. She didn't need rent-a-rapper or any of that stupid stuff, she succeeded because she had the talent to back it up.

I don't get where Susan Boyle comes into the equation with Adele and the states? As far as I'm aware, people like Amy Winehouse, Leona Lewis, Natasha Bedingfield etc. were already making waves in the states for British females at that time.
  • NScotNScot Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    This.

Sometimes there are trends and attempts to cash in on the latest thing, but I really don't think you can apply this to someone like Adele. She's a juggernaut of her own making.

I also think Susan Boyle is a far better singer than your average glorified karaoke singer, even though I don't think she's as groundbreaking as others do.
    If Boyle was a young,thin girl with big boobs she would not have sold like she did.
    Adele sold on talent and great songs
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was common knowledge and assumed it was the success of Amy Winehouse that brought about the resurgence in vintage sounding solo females. Plus the brits 2011 more than helped to elevate and transcend what was already a successful campaign to a phenomena.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I thought it was common knowledge and assumed it was the success of Amy Winehouse that brought about the resurgence in vintage sounding solo females. Plus the brits 2011 more than helped to elevate and transcend what was already a successful campaign to a phenomena.

The Brits are about as influential in the US as SNL is in the UK (i.e not at all). Adele's Brits performance helped her become even more successful in the UK, not the US.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adele's success definitely followed from the earlier success of Amy Winehouse....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was Amy Winehouse that started the British invasion...

This. Susan Boyle can just f#ck off and enjoy her anal bum party.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    The Brits are about as influential in the US as SNL is in the UK (i.e not at all). Adele's Brits performance helped her become even more successful in the UK, not the US.

Yes but that success translated there was such a hype surrounding it it had a ripple effect outward and definitely helped her on her way I'm not saying she would have not been successful but perhaps not on such a scale.

But also on another matter we are all forgetting Adele had cracked the states and win two Grammys before Subo was a shiny pound sign in Cowells eyes :)
  • twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Yes but that success translated there was such a hype surrounding it it had a ripple effect outward and definitely helped her on her way I'm not saying she would have not been successful but perhaps not on such a scale.

But also on another matter we are all forgetting Adele had cracked the states and win two Grammys before Subo was a shiny pound sign in Cowells eyes :)

The premise of this whole thread is idiotic. No Susan Boyle fan that I know of has ever suggested she paved the way for Adele. Think the OP made it up.

Adele caught a wave, because she has a good voice and sang well written ballads with a beat that appealed to young and old people. Plus, Columbia's marketing plan for her in the US was brilliant and the whole thing became a phenomenon.

Susan Boyle led the world in sales once in 2009. That and sales in 2010 made her a multi-multi millionaire. She's now settled into her traditional ballads niche and her records earn her a tidy sum every year. She's not in competition with anyone. She has a happy life.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh what jealous twatterage is this???
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Amy Winehouse did it first...followed by Leona Lewis, Duffy, Estelle and Adele - they all conquered the US charts back in 2008 before Susan Boyle was even heard of. Yes Adele wasn't as huge as she is now back then but she was still doing really well back in 2008 too...was nominated for a couple of Grammy's I'm sure...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Amy Winehouse did it first...followed by Leona Lewis, Duffy, Estelle and Adele - they all conquered the US charts back in 2008 before Susan Boyle was even heard of. Yes Adele wasn't as huge as she is now back then but she was still doing really well back in 2008 too...was nominated for a couple of Grammy's I'm sure...

She won Best New Artist at the Grammys over Duffy.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't forget Corinne bailey Rae
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone knows that Adele owes her success to Gamu!
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there's some truth in that inasmuch as Adele probably owes some of her meteoric success thanks to the likes of talent shows like X Factor and BGT. Adele came along as an old-fashioned pop star - one who could sing, play an instrument and write her own songs as opposed to the fame-hungry manufactured pop muppets who are little more than industry puppets.

I think Adele is nothing special - if she'd been around 30 years ago she would have had moderate success and would have been lumped alongside artists like Alison Moyet and Kirsty MacColl - but in the late 00's she stuck out as something more or less unique in British pop music due to the dearth of proper talent in the charts.

I would agree that Amy was probably her nearest contemporary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    if Adele had been around 30 years ago she would have had moderate success and would have been lumped alongside artists like Alison Moyet

Totally agree.
    ...and as much as I like Adele, her voice isn't as powerful as Alisons.