Have you ever killed an animal?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Yes when I was young I was nasty to cats. I hate them. I don't care. They're only cats. There's my response to the torturingissue, which isn't an issue. Just ask the cats!

You could not survive without the countryside. Do you seriously think the UK, the woirld or even you in your fort of vegetables could like without the vast countryside mass producing meat, veg, dairy etc. Even the seeds that your parents buy to plant in their hugh vegetable garden have to come from somewhere and it isn't in the big London buildings, they originate in the countryside.

Thats me. Solely responsible. I hold my hands up :D

You big hard thing torturing animals, very impressive.

Give me the cats any day.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You big hard thing torturing animals, very impressive.

Give me the cats any day.

*thumbs up* :)
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without kunt-ry folk, you wouldn't be able to eat ... anything.

You wouldn't be able to live without them !

You clearly like to torture animals and cause pain which is a bit different to the average person who slaughters animals for food. Killing an animal quickly for food or for mercy - a half dead rabbit that's been run over etc - is a bit different to torturing animal for fun.

One of our most famous seriel killers used to torture animals before moving on to kill people - it might have been child killer Ian Brady.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ya, pretty much. But I used to torture cats as a child too, cuz I hate them.

Also as part of the farm, we used to kill a lot for meat. Not humainly either!

I smell a serial killer....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in the car when my mum ran over a dog. I don't know if that counts :o

It was a harrowing experience :cry::(
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Worked in a slaughterhouse for a summer after leaving school so, yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Were there many horses?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose I feel we're the dominant race. and there are strict laws to try and prevent killing humans. Whereas cats are just cats. What difference would it make to anyone, or any other cats, if I killed a cat.

Sure its a living thing, but so is a plant. How is that different ?

Sure its in some way intelligent, but so are any other animals we kill for food. How is that different ?

Sure some people find them cute. I find calves cute but people eat venison and have no problem with it. How is that different ?

Actually, the maximum sentence for cruelty to animals is 6 months in prison, even though the RSPCA have to bring the charges themselves.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »

One of our most famous seriel killers used to torture animals before moving on to kill people - it might have been child killer Ian Brady.

Torturing animals is a known precursor to more serious psychopathic behaviour later in life.
  • PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a job i could never do!!
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding the issue of killing kittens and puppies on a farm, I've known of this done and it's due to not being able to keep them so do you give them a quick death or allow them to starve because no one can take them in and you can't afford to keep them? If you live in the country it may be a little harder to take them to a shelter.

Back on topic, I think I flattened something with my car one night (I don't know because when I looked next morning there was nothing there) and I have stood on a few insects when in their final stages.

Id never kill a wasp though much as I hate them, knowing my luck Id miss and make it madder! :D
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread - it's like spot the sociopath.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    Torturing animals is a known precursor to more serious psychopathic behaviour later in life.
    It's part of the Macdonald Triad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macdonald_triad
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Regarding the issue of killing kittens and puppies on a farm, I've known of this done and it's due to not being able to keep them so do you give them a quick death or allow them to starve because no one can take them in and you can't afford to keep them? If you live in the country it may be a little harder to take them to a shelter.

They could try getting them castrated/speyed - like any other responsible pet owner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Back on topic, I think I flattened something with my car one night (I don't know because when I looked next morning there was nothing there) and I have stood on a few insects when in their final stages.

Id never kill a wasp though much as I hate them, knowing my luck Id miss and make it madder! :D

I think drowning is one of the most horrific ways of killing an animal and i can't even understand suicide victims choosing this method. Indeed those who do autopsies on murder victims say that drowning can be one of the most stressful ways to die.

Incidently, someone who worked for the RSPCA drowned a gray squirrel last year - because he thought they were vermin and a garden pest - and he found himself in court and sacked from his job.
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shot an Elephant.

Zoo keeper was livid.
  • JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago one of the boys at school kicked a pigeon and it's belly split open. The poor thing was just sitting there shivering in shock with it's innards oozing out so I had no choice but to wring it's neck. Fortunately my father had the foresight to teach me how to do that quickly and effectively when I was a child.

I can still feel that poor bird's neck though, even a good few years later. It didn't struggle at all, it was in deep shock, poor little thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Insects and one rogue mouse - there is no justification - life is life and a beautiful squirrel is just a rat with a lucky tail.

Wildlife out in the open is fascinating - I could watch an ants' nest for hours - once it's inside my home - all the joyous warmth evaporates. I would certainly have killed more ants, flies and wasps if they hadn't outwitted me.
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Not directly, no. When I was about 16, I was doing my usual 5 a.m start at work with a woman who was my supervisor at the time. She and I got into the shop to find a tiny baby mouse sitting on the floor in the middle of the warehouse, I think he'd broken his leg or something because he couldn't move and was just sat still shivering. The woman I was opening up with was a horrible cow (for many reasons, not just this one) and she made me scoop the poor thing onto a little piece of cardboard and leave him outside. Bearing in mind this was in early January and it was freezing cold outside; she goes out for a smoke about three years later with a look of sad surprise on her face saying "aawwww it's died!!!!". No shit, Sherlock.

I still feel bad when I think about the poor little thing terrified and freezing to death :(
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Were there many horses?

Oddly enough, the first thing I saw was a horse getting slaughtered, while I was cleaning the yard.

No idea what it was for but they hitched it's bridle up to an overhead pully, stunned it and then bled it. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually does giving live locusts as food, count as being complicit in the death of an annimal?
  • PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    A few years ago one of the boys at school kicked a pigeon and it's belly split open. The poor thing was just sitting there shivering in shock with it's innards oozing out

:eek: What an evil and sick thing to do :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly enough, the first thing I saw was a horse getting slaughtered, while I was cleaning the yard.

No idea what it was for but they hitched it's bridle up to an overhead pully, stunned it and then bled it. :o

Beef Bourguignon
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the car with the daughter and we saw a load of seagulls in the road, gathered about a kfc spill.

I told her that they'd move away, no problem, but one bloody greedy bugger didn't and I hit it.

The bang followed by a big puff of feathers which I saw through the rear view mirror was sort of horribly comical.

The child was upset, I was oddly more angry than anything else, stupid greedy damned bird.

Other than that, a couple of birds in the cat's youth. I hated it, but I knew it had to be done.

Oh, and I've massacred snails in my Mum's back garden - threw them over the wall into the back service lane - loads and loads of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everybody is lacking in some way or other. Everybody is born deficient in something. Some people, for instance, are born deficient in what a specific society and culture at a specific time regards as good looks. Some people are born deficient in intelligence, where intelligence is supposedly measured by some arbitrary yardstick. I like to think I have a significantly higher that average ability with words but I was born with a corresponding deficiency for understanding maths - I'm hopeless with numbers: if I have to do any calculation with numbers higher than 20 I have to take my shoes and socks off. More involved sums just make my brain go into meltdown.

So far these are all things that can be tackled with enough will, energy, patience and persistence. Those people who think that they lack good looks can make the best of themselves with a good haircut, make-up, maybe even a nose job if they think that that's their least attractive feature. I could, if I had a mind to it, put real effort into brushing up my mathematical skills. And so on and so forth. Most of these supposed deficiencies can be addressed and remedied - if not completely, then up to a point.

However, unfortunately some people are beorn deficient in empathy and compassion - the innate sense, certainly evolution-endowed, that says other creatures are sentient like ourselves and feel not only some of the same psychological states such as anxiety, fear, despair and so on but physical pain too. We know enough now from studies in other primates such as chimps, bonobos and gorillas as well as many other animals to know that this is part of our evolutionary heritage: that's it's the factory default, as it were, and that those who are born with this sense blunted or even absent altogether are the faulty ones, the ones lacking something. The ones who seem to have no sense of empathy for other sentient beings capable of pain and fear are what we refer to as full-blown sociopaths: the ones in whom it is, if not totally absent, then severely stunted are lower-grade sociopaths, the habitually cruel to other organisms they can tyrannise - non-human animals, children, babies, etc. These are the people as deficient in the empathetic sense of "That creature can suffer just as I can, and if suffering is unpleasant for me, it will be for them too" as the colour blind are deficient in being able to see the normal range of colours.

It seems to be the case, unfortunately, that there's nothing you can do with such people but try to keep them out of harm's way as far as possible: as was being discussed on a James Bulger thread I think, sociopaths are not just incurable but untreatable. There's no amount of therapy, counselling, promise of reward or threat of retribution that makes much, if any, difference.