Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was a gentle drama with funny moments about an autistic man working as a care assistant. I thought Ricky portrayed him well, and Karl Pingklton is a natural. I was just glad he didn't go down that Charlie Chaplin, Norman Wisdom road were you have to pity the character then somehow find him funny, give me Laurel and Hardy every time over the unfunny Charlie Chaplin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extras is currently being repeated on the Dave channel.
    You've missed the first couple of episodes though.

The office was for me the funniest series that ever was, Extras had some genius moments in it Patrick Stewart as an old perv was hiliarious.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    twogunthom wrote: »
    I think it was a gentle drama with funny moments about an autistic man working as a care assistant. I thought Ricky portrayed him well, and Karl Pingklton is a natural. I was just glad he didn't go down that Charlie Chaplin, Norman Wisdom road were you have to pity the character then somehow find him funny, give me Laurel and Hardy every time over the unfunny Charlie Chaplin.
    Not according to Gervais
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not according to Gervais

That was just my take on it mate, seems to me it could have been open to interpretation. What did Ricky Gervais say about it
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people seeing the Derek character would instantly think of him being autistic or having learning difficulties of some sort.

He wrote an article about it before the series started (it's linked to in this thread I think) and also he talked about the character in the making of episode.

Gervais said he was just a simple, loveable bloke without a bad bone in his body. I thought it was quite patronising of him to tell people how to feel about Derek and his actions/relationships with others.
    I thought the point of the series was for the viewers to make up their mind themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think a lot of people seeing the Derek character would instantly think of him being autistic or having learning difficulties of some sort.

He wrote an article about it before the series started (it's linked to in this thread I think) and also he talked about the character in the making of episode.

Gervais said he was just a simple, loveable bloke without a bad bone in his body. I thought it was quite patronising of him to tell people how to feel about Derek and his actions/relationships with others.
    I thought the point of the series was for the viewers to make up their mind themselves.

He's anticipated people might percieve Derek to be autistic, sounds ify. I agree with your last view about making up our own minds.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twogunthom wrote: »
    The office was for me the funniest series that ever was, Extras had some genius moments in it Patrick Stewart as an old perv was hiliarious.

That Patrick Stewart bit is probably my favourite. "But it was too late...I'd seen it all".
    I think Extras probably edges it for me. I don't know why. Possibly because it felt freer not being restrained to office type stuff.

My favourite of all of them though is The Ricky Gervais Show.
    I know that there's going to be several parts of every show that I'm going to find hilarious. But do I credit Ricky Gervais for those bits, or Karl Pilkington? I just don't know.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with the last ep. and even though it was as subtle as a brick in the head and very emotionally manipulative, it was also very moving I thought.

I found Derek (the show) quite paradoxical. I'm a big fan of Gervais's work, but I found this his weakest, in terms of the stereotyped characters and cliched plots, but the quality of the acting from all concerned rose above that to make the characters likeable, even lovable. Also, I don't think the show 'works' as a concept; it's set in a recognisable, present day environment, but at the same time it's entirely un-realistic in showing the day-to-day running of a care home.

As for Geravis insisting that Derek (the character) isn't mentally disabled in some way, I think that's a massive cop-out from him to allow him to play such a person without having to address the issue when asked of whether it's accurate or even exploitative (in much the same way the creators of The Big Bang Theroy insists that Sheldon doesn't have any any autistic traits, when he quite obviously does). There are ways to play a - to quote Gervais from an above comment - 'simple, loveable bloke without a bad bone in his body', without having to resort to bad hair and clothes, limited intelligence and facial tics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Video of the highlights of Derek Season 1 i made :)

Make sure to comment below the video and like it also subscribe to my channel please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi-xZ2yr0tc
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tardiscake wrote: »
    Video of the highlights of Derek Season 1 i made :)..................

Was it much of a problem getting permission to make a copy for public broadcast? :)
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek is being repeated on More4 starting this Sunday night (26th May) at 23:05

Worth watching if you missed it first time. Karl Pilkington is great as Dougie.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yayyy, can't wait :D
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Patrick Stewart bit is probably my favourite. "But it was too late...I'd seen it all".
    I think Extras probably edges it for me. I don't know why. Possibly because it felt freer not being restrained to office type stuff.

My favourite of all of them though is The Ricky Gervais Show.
    I know that there's going to be several parts of every show that I'm going to find hilarious. But do I credit Ricky Gervais for those bits, or Karl Pilkington? I just don't know.

Let's not forget how brilliantly funny Gervaise has been over the years at awards events and his contributions to Comic Relief.

I'm not impressed by people being awarded the funniest person in Britain who can't raise a titter when they accept it.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the first series, proper bit of feel good TV. Looking forward to all of the twonks piling on this thread with their tiresome Gervais hatred.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Yay! Cant wait!
  • poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wooo Woooo can't wait. Love this show. Karl Pilkington is so funny.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Wooo Woooo can't wait. Love this show. Karl Pilkington is so funny.

I'm afraid you're in for a bit of a disappointment then.....
    Karl's character Dougie leaves after the first episode. He doesn't like having to act and prefers The Idiot Abroad format where he can just be himself
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Another one who cannot wait for this. Was not sure to begin with but love it now.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if I were rating Gervais's TV stuff I would go:

Office Series 1 - 9
    Office Series 2 - 8
    Office Specials Pt 1 - 7
    Pt 2 - 8.5
    Extras Series 1 - 7.5
    Series 2 - 7
    Christmas Special - 7.5
    Rickey Gervais Show Series 1 - 7.5
    Series 2 - 7.5
    Series 3 - 7
    Life's Too Short - 6
    Derek - 6.5
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    I think if I were rating Gervais's TV stuff I would go:

Office Series 1 - 9
    Office Series 2 - 8
    Office Specials Pt 1 - 7
    Pt 2 - 8.5
    Extras Series 1 - 7.5
    Series 2 - 7
    Christmas Special - 7.5
    Rickey Gervais Show Series 1 - 7.5
    Series 2 - 7.5
    Series 3 - 7
    Life's Too Short - 6
    Derek - 6.5

You're wrong of course
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sort of looking forward to this. The first series had a lot of good elements, but also many that I found fault with.

I think this has been the weakest series that Ricky Gervais has done - he seems to have lost the subtle touch he brilliantly displayed in both The Office and Extras. Derek, in comparison, was about as unsubtle as comedy/pathos could get.

I'll give the first episode a go to see whether it's improved or not.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're wrong of course

No they're not, because they're rating them according to their own subjective opinion, which they obviously know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they're not, because they're rating them according to their own subjective opinion, which they obviously know.

Sorry but they are completely wrong. And so are you.
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid you're in for a bit of a disappointment then.....
    Karl's character Dougie leaves after the first episode. He doesn't like having to act and prefers The Idiot Abroad format where he can just be himself
    Gutting! He was brilliant in the first series :(