Will One direction crack America?

Comments

• imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »
    I'm not sure what has been deleted in this thread but nothing of relevance as far as I can tell..

What was deleted was the usual reference to trolls by a certain poster who can't stand anyone who disagrees with their opinion on 1d.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    What was deleted was the usual reference to trolls by a certain poster who can't stand anyone who disagrees with their opinion on 1d.

Wow a mind reader now too :D Actually it was a reply to Gneiss but was no longer relevant as he had replied while I was posting. My fault I should have explained
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    Wow a mind reader now too :D Actually it was a reply to Gneiss but was no longer relevant as he had replied while I was posting. My fault I should have explained

That may be the case, but someone bought up the point that some post have been deleted so I was filling in the blanks.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the new york post's take on the boys hitting america::D

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/music/new_brits_on_the_block_e47e0ZmgyZtHE8zI7jj6UP?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Music

New Brits on the block

British boy-band sensation, One Direction, is taking the US by storm :)

Eighth-grader Melissa Kerner knows that she’s one lucky girl. Not only is she catching the new boy band One Direction at the Beacon Theatre on Saturday, but her mom snapped up tickets for their nearly sold-out tour, which comes to Jones Beach in June 2013.

Yes, that’s right. 2013. When this year’s North American tour sold like hot cakes, fans who weren’t as fortunate as Melissa screamed bloody murder, and the moneymakers behind the group immediately scheduled another.

“I am really excited,” shrieks Kerner, 13, who had long ago picked out a colorful bandeau top to wear to the gig in Manhattan. “When I heard Mom had gotten the tickets, I couldn’t stop screaming!”

There was a similar frenzy for the band’s Thursday night performance at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, NJ, which will be packed with 15,000 teen and preteen girls….

“I’ve never known a group announcing a [second] summer tour before a [first] summer tour,” says Andy Greene, associate editor at Rolling Stone. “It’s insane — they’re working them like dogs and printing money right now.”

The band, a k a 1D, peddled 176,000 copies of “Up All Night” in its first week on sale in the US in March. A month earlier, its BRIT Award-winning single “What Makes You Beautiful” shifted 131,000 copies in the first seven days.
    The day before the album release, some 15,000 “Directioners” blocked the streets around Rockefeller Plaza when the group appeared on the “Today” show….

This led to the Rock Center mob, which included high school sophomore Katie Roach, skipping class for a glimpse of the white-sneakered, Polo-shirted hunks.
    “We all ran over to their car and tapped on the windows,” says Roach, 17, who got a wave from her idol, Horan. “They’re just so cute and adorable, and I love their British accents.”

Unlike manufactured ’80s and ’90s boy bands such as the Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block, which built up fan bases in malls and schools, One Direction found fame through digital and social media....

“They are the boy band for the Twitter age,” says writer Megan Ross of the teen music magazines BOP and Tiger Beat, “and their followers feel very connected to them.”
    It helps that, unlike Justin Bieber, there are five guys to choose from — making it easier for a group of gal pals to pick their own pretend boyfriends.

Their voices are strong, too — “They can’t and don’t dance,” says Greene, adding, “those coordinated moves are so dated” — and they always croon about puppy love. The positive themes boost fans’ senses of self-esteem and win moms’ approvals.

“Their first hit single is about how a girl is beautiful, just as she is, without her makeup,” says Ross. “What better message for a girl who is 13 or 14?

“The music is cute and catchy — it’s totally sing-it-with-your-girlfriends-at-the-sleepover kind of stuff.”

Their timing is spot-on, too, because now that he’s turned 18, Bieber is appealing to a slightly older crowd, and the Jonas Brothers have peaked and troughed, clearing the way for 1D and its rival British boy band the Wanted.

Once again, Cowell, who will further cash in with the DVD release of his protégés’ live show May 29, is the cat that got the cream.

“Just when you think it’s doom and gloom, and you have to spend millions of pounds on marketing, you discover this amazing thing called ‘fan power,’” he told Rolling Stone last month. “It’s amazing, and it’s free. I love it.”

As does Tiger Beat’s Ross — but to a lesser degree. “I wore my usual industrial-strength earplugs to 1D’s last concert, and my ears were still ringing the entire next day,” she laughs, explaining that Directioners are the most “passionate” followers she knows.

“The level of screaming was like nothing I’ve ever heard before.”:D:D:p
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have certainly surpassed what success i thought they would have and for an X Factor act too put together by Cowell. 2 big disadvantages right there for starters :D.
    Forgetting about irrelevant deleted posts and picking up on this earlier point...

Is it really a disadvantage or is it more a case that earlier attempts have simply missed the target?

Every year they have acts clearly intended to appeal to a similar demographic and given early voting figures they clearly do; then that support drifts away particularly rapidly once the series ends. That hasn't happened this time, in fact support has grown beyond, I'm sure, everyone's expectations.

The show is still hugely popular, talked about, constantly in the papers etc... so I fail to see how such vast blanket coverage can be a disadvantage. I think it's more a case that they just haven't had the right people to take full advantage of that publicity until now.

I also think that all the hype over the launch of X-Factor US has had something to do with it.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgetting about irrelevant deleted posts and picking up on this earlier point...

Is it really a disadvantage or is it more a case that earlier attempts have simply missed the target?

Every year they have acts clearly intended to appeal to a similar demographic and given early voting figures they clearly do; then that support drifts away particularly rapidly once the series ends. That hasn't happened this time, in fact support has grown beyond, I'm sure, everyone's expectations.

The show is still hugely popular, talked about, constantly in the papers etc... so I fail to see how such vast blanket coverage can be a disadvantage. I think it's more a case that they just haven't had the right people to take full advantage of that publicity until now.

I also think that all the hype over the launch of X-Factor US has had something to do with it.....

the disadvantage lies in the backlash of public opinion against x factor and especially simon cowell... one direction formed, and later mentored by sico and seen as the "teacher's pet" and bob's your uncle!! don't need to look far beyond DS to see bunch of posters nitpicking on the boys...:eek:

really wonder if the boys were formed outside x factor, gained the same kind of following and success if they be similarly summarily picked upon and put down?

BIB: or is it a case that there is really that something, the xfactor in these boys that detractors refuse to recognise because they are from x factor and more especially-- handled by sico?? :eek:
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    abrightyz wrote: »
    the disadvantage lies in the backlash of public opinion against x factor and especially simon cowell... one direction formed, and later mentored by sico and seen as the "teacher's pet" and bob's your uncle!! don't need to look far beyond DS to see bunch of posters nitpicking on the boys...:eek:

really wonder if the boys were formed outside x factor, gained the same kind of following and success if they be similarly summarily picked upon and put down?

BIB: or is it a case that there is really that something, the xfactor in these boys that detractors refuse to recognise because they are from x factor and more especially-- handled by sico?? :eek:

I think they still would because they are a boyband, a lot of people do not take boybands seriously, look at The Wanted.
    But the fact that they are from XF is double the stigma really. Boybands do get a lot more stick than girlbands imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they still would because they are a boyband, a lot of people do not take boybands seriously, look at The Wanted.
    But the fact that they are from XF is double the stigma really. Boybands do get a lot more stick than girlbands imo.

BIB: i agree!! and the point exactly...
    Forum Member

Yeah, these boys are special. They weren't born, they were created in a lab. Then they were implanted with the special"x factor"gene. Thats what makes them special.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The group and the show were not launched in the States at the same time. The boys had absolutely no promotions on the show.

I'm also confused by you comment about the right people not taking advantage of the publicity till now. What publicity? The X factor? JLS did try, but were not successful, but Leona did, so it's not a case of the artists not taking advantage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boys done good...congratulations!! :D:D

One Direction Go Double Platinum With US Debut:cool:

What Makes You Beautiful clocks up a cool two million sales...:p:)

http://www.mtv.co.uk/news/one-direction/355074-one-direction-us-single-sales
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They've sure done good. congrats 1D!:D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

WD for those amazing sales. As I said further up they have surpassed what I thought they would do
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    They've sure done good. congrats 1D!:D:cool:
    WD for those amazing sales. As I said further up they have surpassed what I thought they would do

a-ha!! let's drink to that, ladies!! lolz!! :D:D;) *opens virtual bubbly*
  • Shannon_BurnettShannon_Burnett Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    the new york post's take on the boys hitting america::D

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/music/new_brits_on_the_block_e47e0ZmgyZtHE8zI7jj6UP?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Music

New Brits on the block

British boy-band sensation, One Direction, is taking the US by storm :)

Eighth-grader Melissa Kerner knows that she’s one lucky girl. Not only is she catching the new boy band One Direction at the Beacon Theatre on Saturday, but her mom snapped up tickets for their nearly sold-out tour, which comes to Jones Beach in June 2013.

Yes, that’s right. 2013. When this year’s North American tour sold like hot cakes, fans who weren’t as fortunate as Melissa screamed bloody murder, and the moneymakers behind the group immediately scheduled another.

“I am really excited,” shrieks Kerner, 13, who had long ago picked out a colorful bandeau top to wear to the gig in Manhattan. “When I heard Mom had gotten the tickets, I couldn’t stop screaming!”

There was a similar frenzy for the band’s Thursday night performance at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, NJ, which will be packed with 15,000 teen and preteen girls….

“I’ve never known a group announcing a [second] summer tour before a [first] summer tour,” says Andy Greene, associate editor at Rolling Stone. “It’s insane — they’re working them like dogs and printing money right now.”

The band, a k a 1D, peddled 176,000 copies of “Up All Night” in its first week on sale in the US in March. A month earlier, its BRIT Award-winning single “What Makes You Beautiful” shifted 131,000 copies in the first seven days.
    The day before the album release, some 15,000 “Directioners” blocked the streets around Rockefeller Plaza when the group appeared on the “Today” show….

This led to the Rock Center mob, which included high school sophomore Katie Roach, skipping class for a glimpse of the white-sneakered, Polo-shirted hunks.
    “We all ran over to their car and tapped on the windows,” says Roach, 17, who got a wave from her idol, Horan. “They’re just so cute and adorable, and I love their British accents.”

Unlike manufactured ’80s and ’90s boy bands such as the Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block, which built up fan bases in malls and schools, One Direction found fame through digital and social media....

“They are the boy band for the Twitter age,” says writer Megan Ross of the teen music magazines BOP and Tiger Beat, “and their followers feel very connected to them.”
    It helps that, unlike Justin Bieber, there are five guys to choose from — making it easier for a group of gal pals to pick their own pretend boyfriends.

Their voices are strong, too — “They can’t and don’t dance,” says Greene, adding, “those coordinated moves are so dated” — and they always croon about puppy love. The positive themes boost fans’ senses of self-esteem and win moms’ approvals.

“Their first hit single is about how a girl is beautiful, just as she is, without her makeup,” says Ross. “What better message for a girl who is 13 or 14?

“The music is cute and catchy — it’s totally sing-it-with-your-girlfriends-at-the-sleepover kind of stuff.”

Their timing is spot-on, too, because now that he’s turned 18, Bieber is appealing to a slightly older crowd, and the Jonas Brothers have peaked and troughed, clearing the way for 1D and its rival British boy band the Wanted.

Once again, Cowell, who will further cash in with the DVD release of his protégés’ live show May 29, is the cat that got the cream.

“Just when you think it’s doom and gloom, and you have to spend millions of pounds on marketing, you discover this amazing thing called ‘fan power,’” he told Rolling Stone last month. “It’s amazing, and it’s free. I love it.”

As does Tiger Beat’s Ross — but to a lesser degree. “I wore my usual industrial-strength earplugs to 1D’s last concert, and my ears were still ringing the entire next day,” she laughs, explaining that Directioners are the most “passionate” followers she knows.

“The level of screaming was like nothing I’ve ever heard before.”:D:D:p

I am well beyond eighth grade level but have tickets to see them at Jones Beach too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am well beyond eighth grade level but have tickets to see them at Jones Beach too!

Oh please come back and tell us how it went? PS take ear plugs :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

wow!! congrats!! and thanks for standing up to be counted!!:cool:

*another living proof of actual people beyond eighth grade who do appreciate 1D*:eek::D
  • Shannon_BurnettShannon_Burnett Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Oh please come back and tell us how it went? PS take ear plugs :D

I will report back, count on it. I know about the earplugs from my friend who saw them at Rock Centre. I was out of town that week and could not be there. The two of us caught Subo there a couple of years back--no earplugs necessary then but she assured me she wished she had them for 1D!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sugarscape reports...

"1D Arrive in Boston for Their First US Headlining Tour":):)

http://www.sugarscape.com/tags/zouis/725256/one-direction-arrive-boston-their-first-us-headlining-tour

a fan films the boys before their flight to boston *zayn with baby lux*::p

http://youtu.be/Tt8q0e1lOZQ

boys arrive at logan airport. cue start of some screaming, lolz! ::eek::D

http://youtu.be/7-StdF5e_6I
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    I wonder if they will re-vamp the shows as they are the headlining act (different to the tour with BTR) or will it be like the UK tour (I mean the set up).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they will re-vamp the shows as they are the headlining act (different to the tour with BTR) or will it be like the UK tour (I mean the set up).

my guess is it will be the same set up as it's still the UAN tour... like in aussie and NZ...:)

imagine the outcry of the entitled UK fans if it will be a different show altogether, lolz?!!:eek::eek: (they already have their VIP tickets which we don't have, etc... etc...)

the one to look out for (in terms of how will it be this time?) is the 2013 arena tour!!:D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reposting fan vid from the very first night of the boys' very first US headlining tour: :D:p

http://youtu.be/yAN9Nz2Sj74

boys in fine form... jet lag, what is it anyway, lolz?! :eek::D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nice one.:)
    reposting fan vid from the very first night of the boys' very first US headlining tour: :D:p

http://youtu.be/yAN9Nz2Sj74

boys in fine form... jet lag, what is it anyway, lolz?! :eek::D:cool:

I wonder how Olly is getting on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    Nice one.:)

I wonder how Olly is getting on.

I didn't think he joined them until next week?