Should Catherine Tate have been in TEOT opening credits?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
Forum Member
Was always surprised Catherine and Timothy Dalton did not appear in the ENd Of Time opening star billing

They did on the DVD release cover

Should River get star billing?

And why were the onscreen credits for Jackie, harriet etc on multiple cast eps Stolen Earth / Journeys End never adopted for other stories??

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'd look a bit cluttered if they put everyone on!
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dalton had less air time in part 1 than Julian Bleach in The Stolen Earth - so he didn't qualify for star billing.

Donna didn't add anything to the story. Simm & Cribbins were the correct credits :)
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Donna's appearance was nice but it wasn't a key role so no need to add her.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't a key role so no. Even though she deserved a much bigger part in the story IMO.

I remember laughing though when they desperately tried to cram everyone in for The Stolen Earth/Journey's End. :D
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly...no. Loved Donna but she was pretty marginal in this story and didn' t think her (re)appearance was handled well. Lovely to see her, but...

However, whenever I rewatch a Season 4 story I smile when I see her in the credits.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    No. She didn't need to be.
  • YosheeYoshee Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Agreed with everyone else about Donna in TEOT.

However, I do think that Alex Kingston should have been in the opening credits for episodes she played a major role in, at least in series 6 and 7 if not 5, since Arthur Darvill also gets credited. I know he is a main companion for the duration of the series, but in The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon there is no question that River is part of the main cast. I can forgive Series 5 as Darvill wasn't credited in the main credits of the episodes he was in either, but hey, it doesn't really matter that much anyway I guess.

The Stolen Earth/Journey's End's title sequence was quite amusing though. :L I don't remember Jackie and Harriet being in the opening credits though... iirc it was Tennant, Tate, Barrowman, Agyeman, Sladen, and Piper.
    Forum Member
    Alex definitely should've had her name in the credits for her Series 5-7 episodes. Except Closing Time of course.
  • tommytigertommytiger Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    No and she shouldn't have been included in the opening credits of The Office (US), since it was a very minor role.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Poor Donna. Screwed by RTD in 'Journey's End' and then her reappearance was horribly bungled 'The End of Time'. RTD and Tate gave us arguably one of the very best companions in the show's history and Donna's end was one of the worst of all.
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    No it was a bit part that didn't need to be there.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tommytiger wrote: »
    No and she shouldn't have been included in the opening credits of The Office (US), since it was a very minor role.

:confused: The Office credits credit everyone in the show of course her name will be there.

Not to mention she was a regular character regardless of her prominence.
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like many have said Catherine should never have got a credit for her role in the End of Time, but why ever John Simm did I can't work out.....he's the villain of the episode...villains should never be in the titles for DW ever....

David and Bernard were just fine as they were...no need for Simm at all in my opinion....
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    Like many have said Catherine should never have got a credit for her role in the End of Time, but why ever John Simm did I can't work out.....he's the villain of the episode...villains should never be in the titles for DW ever....

David and Bernard were just fine as they were...no need for Simm at all in my opinion....

It was ultimately The Master's redemption story from RTD. Why he was the man he was and turning on those responsible for manipulating him.
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    It was ultimately The Master's redemption story from RTD. Why he was the man he was and turning on those responsible for manipulating him.

When the Master does eventually come back though,, I can't see him being good.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »

Simm absolutely deserved his main credit for those episodes. He carried the episodes as much as Tennant and Cribbins did and certainly more than Tate who was ultimately a cameo that had little impact on the story.
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simm absolutely deserved his main credit for those episodes. He carried the episodes as much as Tennant and Cribbins did and certainly more than Tate who was ultimately a cameo that had little impact on the story.

Well as I said earlier, for the sheer fact he was the villain of the episodes, regardless of whether he redeems himself or not, he should not be in the titles in my opinon. Villains regardless of what they do in DW should never be in the titles. It just doesn't seem right to me and is just plain wrong.

Personally, his acting was not good at all in the eps for me, but then again the writing of the Master wasn't great in the eps too in my opinion.

The actor of the Master in the titles? No thanks please for me....
    Forum Member
    Thinking about it, should Asylum Of The Daleks have gone like this ...

Matt Smith
    Karen Gillan
    Arthur Darvill
    Jenna-Louise Coleman
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, and Simm shouldn't have either.

Kingston however should have been for all of her post-library appearances; as should have Noel Clarke (and probably Camille Coduri) for Journey's End as well. Noel was a bit unfortunate like that, I'm sure he would have been had he been in The Stolen Earth as well. He and Kingston are now the only major recurring companions/characters not to have their names in the titles (while the likes of Kylie Minogue, Michelle Ryan, Claire Skinner etc. have).
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Thinking about it, should Asylum Of The Daleks have gone like this ...

Matt Smith
    Karen Gillan
    Arthur Darvill
    Jenna-Louise Coleman

No because at the time people weren't to know how significant she would be.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Carried or destroyed. Depends how you look at it. I know that Simm's utterly ridiculous portrayal is one reason I can't ever watch The End of Time again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banks246 wrote: »

And no because many of us were unpoiled about J-L C even being in it - saving the surprise for the after opening credits scene was genius.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Some characters are stars, some are guest stars. It's not really about who's the most important character in the Doctor's life. But I do agree that Kingston deserved it in most of her S5+ appearances.
    Forum Member
    Banks246 wrote: »

She was confirmed back in March 2012 - so we knew she was going to be significant and it would've been a way of messing with the audiences heads a little.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    She was confirmed back in March 2012 - so we knew she was going to be significant and it would've been a way of messing with the audiences heads a little.

She was confirmed as being in the series, but wasn't expected to appear until the second half of the series. Her appearance in that episode was carefully kept a secret.