Has anyone visited The Shard?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
Forum Member
I quite fancy a visit, and im interested in the recommendations of anyone whos been. Tickets are £25 so its a bit pricey, but im hoping the views would be worth it. Im sure I read though that no restaurants are yet open. All opinions gratefully received! :p

Comments

• Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Why pay £25?

For those with a 'head for heights', here's a view from the top of the Shard. Why pay £25 to visit the viewing/observation
    floor on top, when you can see it for free on here.

Technology is great.

You will be somewhat interested in this view of London from the top of the “Shard” the latest high structure in
    the City, its crystalline façade rearing 1,016 ft over the London skyline as Europe 's tallest building to date.

For your information - floors 2- 28 are offices. 31 – 33 high class restaurants. 34 – 52 is a 5 star hotel complex.
    53 -65 is residential accommodation on top of which comes the observation lounges on floors 68 – 72.

You can have much fun swinging the view around (as per the screen instructions) zoom in and out – traverse 360 deg. And see London as never before. Following the long straight rail line approaching – and zooming in on the horizon you will see Greenwich and beyond that on the skyline, Shooters Hill and its water tower.

It is almost impossible to be anywhere in Greater London and NOT see the ‘shard’ now.

Move cursor very slowly.. or left/right/up down arrows to see an all round view of London .Full screen is amazing !

www.willpearson.co.uk/virtual-tour/shard-360-dusk/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Why pay £25?

For those with a 'head for heights', here's a view from the top of the Shard. Why pay £25 to visit the viewing/observation

Technology is great.

You will be somewhat interested in this view of London from the top of the “Shard” the latest high structure in
    the City, its crystalline façade rearing 1,016 ft over the London skyline as Europe 's tallest building to date.

For your information - floors 2- 28 are offices. 31 – 33 high class restaurants. 34 – 52 is a 5 star hotel complex.
    53 -65 is residential accommodation on top of which comes the observation lounges on floors 68 – 72.

You can have much fun swinging the view around (as per the screen instructions) zoom in and out – traverse 360 deg. And see London as never before. Following the long straight rail line approaching – and zooming in on the horizon you will see Greenwich and beyond that on the skyline, Shooters Hill and its water tower.

It is almost impossible to be anywhere in Greater London and NOT see the ‘shard’ now.

Move cursor very slowly.. or left/right/up down arrows to see an all round view of London .Full screen is amazing !

Thanks for the link! :) It does have an amazing view for sure!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

thanks for that...........terrific !

As for the Shard...........I saw it for the first time a week or so ago when I got out of the tube at Tower Hill and I wasn't impressed at at all..............it looks shabby, like a pre-fab building

I guess it might look better lit up at night when you can't see the shabby cladding
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have, its ok. I mean is it worth £25, maybe. It depends how much money you have to spare. The views are very good.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    As for the Shard...........I saw it for the first time a week or so ago when I got out of the tube at Tower Hill and I wasn't impressed at at all..............it looks shabby, like a pre-fab building

I saw it up close for the first time on a train coming into London bridge station a couple of weeks ago. It looks unfinished!
  • SouthernerSoutherner Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the London Eye much higher and cheaper?
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i want to go at some point but think £25 is too much
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Southerner wrote: »
    Isn't the London Eye much higher and cheaper?

It's not higher, but offers a similarly impressive view and can be visited for a much cheaper price with its 2 for 1 offers :)
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Nobody forget the other viewing platform you can use now... Up at the O2 costs just under £25 and allows you to climb the outside of the dome to a viewing platform at the top :) I've heard good things about this from people. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the tallest building in Western Europe but somehow it doesn't look tall. I can see it from my bedroom window and it doesn't look as tall as many of the other buildings around it. It must be an illusion but it doesn't help to make it amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For £25? No thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why pay £25?

Technology is great.

Fantastic link, thanks! :D
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

Fantastic link! Thanks for sharing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a cracking link.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I guess it might look better lit up at night when you can't see the shabby cladding

Shabby cladding? You mean the glass?

At least they're cladding Guy's next door, that looked awful.

Personally I think the Shard looks great and really adds to London.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I have, its ok. I mean is it worth £25, maybe. It depends how much money you have to spare. The views are very good.

Im happy to spend money if its for good value. I think youre giving a recommendation!:p
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could go to vertigo in tower 42. You have to buy a drink though, so not that much cheaper :D

No turning up in jogging bottoms and that old jacket either.

http://www.vertigo42.co.uk/index.php

Or there's the heron tower... Sushi samba or duck and waffle

http://duckandwaffle.com/about-us/

http://sushisamba.com/location/london/gallery

Bring you credit card for these two..

You can wave at the people in the shard :p