Post editing Freesat recordings

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
Forum Member
Is it technically possible to post edit recordings made on freesat recorders? I like to clean up recordings (edit out fronts, ends, ads etc) for archiving purposes and have always been able to perform frame accurate editing on freeview DVD/blu-ray player recorders with HDD drives. I've researched all of the available freesat boxes and none have an edit facility. You would expect them to have this and surely the tech is there. For me this is a deal breaker.

Comments

• SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    It's technically possible, but would make too many waves. In order to satisfy the copyright holders, PVRs are assumed to record only for the purposes of timeshifting. Under current copyright law you don't have the legal right to archive most TV broadcasts. The logical follow-on from that is that there's no point in providing editing features for a box that's only designed for short-term storage.

Your only option is to archive to an external system like a PC, and edit there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your expectations are a little high, it is very, very rare that a PVR of any description (Freeview, Freesat, Sky) will allow you to edit recordings. The facility is common, almost universal, on DVD/HDD recorders, but these are different beasts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    It's technically possible, but would make too many waves. In order to satisfy the copyright holders, PVRs are assumed to record only for the purposes of timeshifting. Under current copyright law you don't have the legal right to archive most TV broadcasts. The logical follow-on from that is that there's no point in providing editing features for a box that's only designed for short-term storage.

Your only option is to archive to an external system like a PC, and edit there.

Thanks for the info Steve. I have been considering your suggestion as I understand it's possible to export to a PC/Mac via flash drive and editing with some downloadable software and re-importing to the player/recorder.(which is what you're saying of course)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it depends how often you're going to want to do this and how long your programmes are and whether you need a pristine as-broadcast copy, but when I want to do it I just record to the DVD/HDD machine and edit from there. It has to record in real time but I just find all this simpler than USB sticks, importing and exporting, using editing software on a PC etc.
    Forum Member
    I guess it depends how often you're going to want to do this and how long your programmes are and whether you need a pristine as-broadcast copy, but when I want to do it I just record to the DVD/HDD machine and edit from there. It has to record in real time but I just find all this simpler than USB sticks, importing and exporting, using editing software on a PC etc.

Yes. but I no longer have the DVD HDD recorders and I'm re-vampimg my home entertainment system and it's going to be free-sat only after I do away with Sky some time during this summer. Thanks for the help Chris.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jacking wrote: »
    it's going to be free-sat only after I do away with Sky some time during this summer

:eek: :)
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Steve. I have been considering your suggestion as I understand it's possible to export to a PC/Mac via flash drive and editing with some downloadable software and re-importing to the player/recorder.(which is what you're saying of course)
    You can do that with SD broadcasts (and HD when recorded in non freesat mode) on the Humax Foxsat HDR, but I couldn't say if it's possible with other boxes.

I've seen a Panasonic Freeview PVR that offered an inbuilt editing system, but of course the recordings were also locked to that box anyway so couldn't be exported.
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    You can do that with SD broadcasts (and HD when recorded in non freesat mode) on the Humax Foxsat HDR, but I couldn't say if it's possible with other boxes.

I've seen a Panasonic Freeview PVR that offered an inbuilt editing system, but of course the recordings were also locked to that box anyway so couldn't be exported.

Yeah Micky, think this is what I'll probably do.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can edit the recordings on my Panasonic Freesat recorder
    Forum Member
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    I can edit the recordings on my Panasonic Freesat recorder

My understanding is that Panasonic are soon going to drop freesat recorders, which is a shame as they're very good machines. Might be a good opportunity to pick one up quite cheaply.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    <deleted>
  • Wayne_JacksonWayne_Jackson Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    My understanding is that Panasonic are soon going to drop freesat recorders, which is a shame as they're very good machines. Might be a good opportunity to pick one up quite cheaply.

They dropped them a couple of years back.
  • MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »

There has been a development which means that HDR owners no longer need non-freesat mode to have full access to HD recordings. If you visit the other forum (where Raydon's modified firmware attracts ongoing discusion) and look for posts by a member there called nowster there are links to a software patch that opens up every new recording!

An original HDR (currently £149.00 for the 500GB version from Humax Direct) with Raydon's modified firmware and nowster's patch is an awesome combination in my opinion.
  • zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I purchased a brilliant Panasonic HDD/DVD twin-tuner Freesat HD PVR about 3 years ago. I can record whole shows and then edit out just the stuff I want & then transfer it via the in-built DVD recorder. I then store DVD recordings in a drawer and this clears the hard drive. It is rather like being back in the days of VHS only better. More modern forms of media to copy material to are more expensive than blank DVD's.

It don't have the blu-ray version - which would be ideal for those with HD Camcorders as they could off-load their own recordings to blu-rays. However, clean edits were/are not possible as a brief frozen frame appears so for editing home HD moved, a computer is needed with the correct software. Anyway, copyright protection would prevent the copying of TV programmes from the hard disc to blu-ray in HD quality but you can copy in the next quality down the pecking order - which is pretty good. (I use ordinary blank recordable DVD's).

Unfortunately Panasonic seem to have given up on Freesat recorders as they think that everybody can get Freeview HD. Goodness knows why they (or anyone else for that matter) can't just make a PVR and put the relevant choice of tuner in each model with similar specs?

Perhaps Panasonic will bring out a Freesat model when the new ranges appear this spring but I wouldn't count on it.
    They do have Freeview HD models. Click this link to read about one with blu-ray/ HDD and the ability to edit.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-dmr-bwt720_TV-recorder---set-top-box_review
  • HumidHumid Posts: 1,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the Panasonic Freesat BluRay recorder that I love to bits, however the way things are going both Freesat & Freeview will be replace by internet based TV.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    desktop-video-guide.com might help the OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Humid wrote: »
    I have the Panasonic Freesat BluRay recorder that I love to bits, however the way things are going both Freesat & Freeview will be replace by internet based TV.
    God, I hope not.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zandar wrote: »
    Perhaps Panasonic will bring out a Freesat model when the new ranges appear this spring but I wouldn't count on it.They do have Freeview HD models. Click this link to read about one with blu-ray/ HDD and the ability to edit.http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-dmr-bwt720_TV-recorder---set-top-box_review
    That looks fantastic, but the whole time I was thinking it was a Freesat recorder and was going to look into buying it to replace our Humax PVR, then I realised it was Freeview only! :o Shame.

I have no current way of recording the DVB-T2 channels (UK HD) or any MPEG-4 channels (from ROI) and have to rely on an old Panasonic DVD recorder with built in Freeview for the SD only channels (but it does allow for editing and unlimited exporting of the recorded programmes, unlike the unit linked above which only lets you export it once, then it gets presumably locked permanently).

If there was a combined BluRay/Freesat HD/Freeview HD device available, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,506
    Forum Member
    Cheapest way to do this for most people will be to buy an HD TV capture card for your PC. You can then use PVR software to record and burn to DVD or BD anything you like.

I do that for everything I know I will want to keep, even though I have the Panasonic BD/Freesat recorder which allows editing *and* exporting in HD (subject to broadcaster restriction codes on certain material).

TV capture card and DVD/BD recorder + software, for ultimate FTA flexibility.
  • zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humid wrote: »

I think that you are wrong to assume this will be the case. When you take into account all the remote areas with no broadband, it must add up to quite a number of people. By using Satellite, they can get perfect multi channel TV exactly the same as they would in a populated area.