DS LGBT members thread (Part 9)

Comments

• spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now ex pro footballer, but well done to him, it's still very brave and I wish him all the best. :)

I just really want a footballer whose playing in the English leagues now to come out. It's gonna have to be someone incredibly brave but they would get more support than I think anyone expects. Someone needs to come out for the issue to be tackled and that's the problem.

I think it's a good thing Jack Wilshere deleted his twitter or he might be bombarded with soppy, lust-filled tweets from myself. :o
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^lol I bet he'd get those sort of comments all the time.

As for a player coming out I agree its not going to be easy. Most sports need a torch bearer, rugby had Gareth Thomas (but I think he's retired), and cricket has Steven Davis. I suppose we'd have to have a former player come out before an active one does, and even then it won't be overnight.

Maybe if some of the Premier league teams did one of those "It Gets Better" videos like they have done in the States, it might help perception with some of the fan base.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's going to be difficult and might not happen for a long time still, unfortunately.

It doesn't help that when Amelle Fashanu did a documentary on the issue the majority of footballers wouldn't even talk about the issue. Joey Barton, bizarrely, has a lot of respect from me.

Yeah, Jack does have quite the fanclub. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like its as much an issue in the stands as it is in the locker room....which makes it even harder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's just in the world of football in general. The fans, the locker room, the executives at the FA...

And then you get people like Max Clifford advising people to stay in the closet because he wants to make money off them.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feels like ages since I came here. Been down Manchester the last couple of days, canal street was quite an experience. ;) the recovery process has been arduous though...

Taken the plunge to join the gym today. I really want to tone up so I don't feel inferior to Brazilian-pride-float style-rock hard-abs!
  • Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,143
    Forum Member
    I half killed myself in the gym today. I'm on one last push to try and be in some sort of shape for going to Tenerife at the weekend on holiday. :D

It seems really unfair that straight ahead out of the window in front of the treadmills at the leisure centre gym I go to is McDonald's... Lol!
  • Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Sorry for saying hello on sunday and then disappearing again :D
    All is good here! How are all you lovely people?

I actually met someone a few weeks ago who turned out to be a member of this forum... he's probably reading this ;)
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attempted to get Beyonce tickets today in the presale - the server was so slow! :(

Hopefully I'll manage something on Saturday! :D

How are you gays?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for saying hello on sunday and then disappearing again :D
    All is good here! How are all you lovely people?

I actually met someone a few weeks ago who turned out to be a member of this forum... he's probably reading this ;)
    Ohh congrats!

And hello to him if he is reading this! :)
    How are you gays?
    Not too bad, you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *sambas into thread*

Whats up mi amigos!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not too bad, you?

Same really.

Didn't end up getting Beyonce tickets! :( Oh well.

In other news, I've managed to get a video interview for a summer internship - how very exciting and scary! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame about Beyonce, but they went in 10 mins so there's probably no end that were disappointed. Pity really as some times proper fans get screwed out of it.

Good Luck on the video interview. Makes me feel old if they're doing interviews by videocall these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go again.... 'Gay couple say London hotel denied them double room'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21566002:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame about Beyonce, but they went in 10 mins so there's probably no end that were disappointed. Pity really as some times proper fans get screwed out of it.

I know, what annoys me is the lot who clearly by to make money - did you see someone had a bid of £2000 on ebay! :mad:

Besides - who would pay that? :o

But I suppose you can't really do much more - regulate it more and its just a nuisance for the buyers/attendees
    Good Luck on the video interview. Makes me feel old if they're doing interviews by videocall these days.

Haha, thanks. :) I'll sit it tomorrow. Its the first I've heard of these ones. I know they conduct skype ones etc. But this one you sit anytime before the date given and you just talk to the screen... then it gets sent away to them.

I saw that! There was a thread or two in GD. But I think it was because there was no double rooms left? I haven't read too much into it tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, what annoys me is the lot who clearly by to make money - did you see someone had a bid of £2000 on ebay! :mad:

Besides - who would pay that? :o
    I wouldn't.. but only 'cause I'm not that fussed by Beyone. I thought her Superbowl Half time show was average.
    I saw that! There was a thread or two in GD. But I think it was because there was no double rooms left? I haven't read too much into it tbh.
    Well if that was the case, it'd make sense, and then they were jumping to conclusions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member

If that's accurate, then that's dreadful. I wouldn't think that sort of rubbish would happen in a large city hotel.
  • soniaorlastormsoniaorlastorm Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    do you have to be gay to post here or is it just a title to keep the riff raff out ?
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you have to be gay to post here or is it just a title to keep the riff raff out ?

We welcome all in here, and it was never intended to keep anyone out.

This thread started out in GD as a discussion thread, but when it became more chattery, we got dumped here:p.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when it became more chattery, we got dumped here:p.
    Sometimes, given the threads that surround us in Chatter, it does feel like we've been dumped on.

However, its a nice little hideaway. Where's every hour is happy hour! ;)
  • soniaorlastormsoniaorlastorm Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    Sometimes, given the threads that surround us in Chatter, it does feel like we've been dumped on.

id expect a thread title <insert word>members thread to be chattery ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol I know what you mean, but really it is the right place.
    id expect a thread title <insert word>members thread to be chattery ?

It didn't start off that way. Believe or not once upon a time there used to be some real discussion/debate!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^We can do a bit of debate now and again.. I'll try and start us off. :)

Do you believe in love at first sight?

or

With the increase of awareness in media etc. is it now harder to stay in the closet? / easier for people to make assumptions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^We can do a bit of debate now and again.. I'll try and start us off. :)

Do you believe in love at first sight?

or

With the increase of awareness in media etc. is it now harder to stay in the closet? / easier for people to make assumptions?

I'll answer both, because, well, why not:p?

Do I believe in love at first sight?

Hmm, it's a pretty complex question, which looks simple at first.

First, we'd have to define love, which as you can see by it's definition on wikipedia, encompasses more than romantic love.

I'm going to make an assumption that you refer to romantic love.

Romantic love as a phenomena is probably characterised by brain chemicals being released.

I'd suggest that attraction is a part of love, but is not love itself, and as such, love at first sight wouldn't be plausible.

Of course nothing in life is 100%.

So yeah, that's my conclusion on love at first sight. It's more like lust at first sight:D.

Onto the second question:

This again is a pretty complex question.

Is it harder to stay in the closet?

I don't think it is, the recent case with say, Robbie Rogers shows that you can easily stay in the closet if you don't match socio-cultural stereotypes of a typical gay man.

I definitely think people make assumptions more these days though especially if someone matches up to stereotypes.

As a guy, if you happen to have what are considered effeminate characteristics or mannerisms, often you are assumed to be gay, even if you're not.

There are actually kids killing themselves who are bullied for being gay, even though they identify as heterosexual. There was a big case in the U.S a few years back, that was particularly sad, because the kid was about 11 years old:(.

The increased media coverage also has it's negatives too, which I don't think I need to go into.

So yeah, both questions answered!

Time for one of my own I think.

If you were in power in government, what would you do to change the startling statistic that LGBT identifying teens are 30% more likely to commit suicide when compared to their heterosexual peers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^wow.. now there's a question. Hmm, I don't know what single thing can be done. I guess that more work needs to be done in schools to help educate not only the hetrosexual side of the fence, but perhaps the LGBT side as well. After all not everyone knows or understands their own situation when they're at school.