Borgen series 2 - Danish political drama Saturdays BBC4 - no spoilers allowed. Tak

Comments

• solaresolare Posts: 11,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this for the first time last night and enjoyed it. I haven't seen series 1 but I think it's possible to start watching at series 2 and not be completely lost.

I also watched The Killing series 1 last week and actually prefer that to Borgen so far (but that's probably because I prefer murder to politics :o) Interesting to see two actors from The Killing turing up in Borgen.

The Danish language is nice to listen to. Sometimes, when watching a subtitled programme, I can find the original soundtrack a bit annoying (there are a few languages that I just don't like the "sound" of). But Danish has a pleasing "sound" and a lot of words seem quite similar to Dutch and German words.

Fnally, I was amused by the title of Episode 2: "In Brussels, no-one can hear you scream." So true!
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    overnights: (not incl HD)

21:00 - 970k (4.0%)
    22:00 - 805k (3.8%)

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me, or has Birgitte (sorry, I mean Sidse Babett Knudsen) lost some weight since s1? She was desirable before but she's damned sexy now! :o

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    overnights: (not incl HD)

21:00 - 970k (4.0%)
    22:00 - 805k (3.8%)

K
    Including BBC HD

21:00 - 1.08m (4.5%)
    22:00 - 852k (4.0%)

K
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    But Danish has a pleasing "sound" and a lot of words seem quite similar to Dutch and German words.

And loads of words are similar to English! There's a Dane on the Guardian series blogs for these shows who spends vast amounts of time educating us on the similarity of our languages e.g.

"Skal vi sende ham hjem nu?" = Shall we send him home now?

"Vi var her først" = We were here first

and there are lots more! He says that we just need to realise how similar so many of our every day words are to Danish words due to the Viking era - he put up a huge post with tons of details about it. The word order is generally far more similar between English and Danish than it is between Danish and German - Germans apparently often verbs at the end of sentences put whereas the Danish word order is pretty much like ours as you can see from the examples above.

I'm so used to hearing Danish in these shows now that I can detect the similarity myself at times.

I've noticed too that when Swedes and Norwegians say 'first' in their languages it sounds like how a Scot says 'first'.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree! There are so many similarities between our languages. When you see the sentences you quoted written down, they don't (at first) look recognisable, but when you read them aloud then it's clear! I will take a look at the Guardian blog - it sounds interesting.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Is it just me, or has Birgitte (sorry, I mean Sidse Babett Knudsen) lost some weight since s1? She was desirable before but she's damned sexy now! :o

K
    I thought she had lost weight, most apparent when she walked to the lift on the way to see Bent.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed that the US Secretary of State on the phone was a man.

(Also, he didn't sound American! Are we sure it wasn't a prank call? :D )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Great to see how Denmark regards the EC in the same way as we do. Giving a failed politician a job as Commissioner, clearly not regarding that job as important.

I see Katrine is still living in that bedsit place with papers strewn all over the place. Makes a change from a UK journalist who would no doubt be living in an immaculate minimalist flat by the Thames
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the Machiavellian machinations of it all!

And I've got a bit of a crush on Katrine :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I thought she had lost weight, most apparent when she walked to the lift on the way to see Bent.

She's probably on the Troels Hartmann diet :D

And I want the piped blazer she had on....
  • ChapelambleChapelamble Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The titles of both episodes were excellent.

One of the names mentioned for commissioner was Troels but sadly not Hartmann. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01px0j8/?t=3m55s :D
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time viewer of this. Also late to TK only watching last series. But The Bridge was my hook and am thoroughly intrigued by Scandi drama now.

Fell asleep watching episode 2 on recording about 2am and will watch tonight. However it was bizarre to see the PM(TK) reduced to car sales and that the one portrayed in this show seems to work very small hours and actually tries to have a normal divorced family life. She seems unconvincing in depth and emotionally torn. However, will see how series plays out and having not seen the evolution from series one, accept I may be misjudging things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So good!!! I really enjoyed last night episodes. I miss the sexy secretary, though. The new secretary is so mean to magnus. She's so efficcient, but so cold and mean.
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the plan to show 2 episodes every Saturday?

I have recorded it but really not sure if I should buy and watch watch the first series first or not:confused:
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the plan to show 2 episodes every Saturday?

I have recorded it but really not sure if I should buy and watch watch the first series first or not:confused:

Get the first series. All the backstory leads to a greater appreciation of what’s going on now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Can you lovely people who've watched season 1 tell me if a noob can watch season 2 without having seen any of season 1? I'm sure this question has been asked before but I really don't want to go through the thread as I haven't tried to watch last night's episodes before.

I'm a late comer to this Scandi stuff. The Bridge converted me, thought the Killing 3 was great and I've heard lots of good things about Borgen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala_dos wrote: »
    Can you lovely people who've watched season 1 tell me if a noob can watch season 2 without having seen any of season 1? I'm sure this question has been asked before but I really don't want to go through the thread as I haven't tried to watch last night's episodes before.

I'm a late comer to this Scandi stuff. The Bridge converted me, thought the Killing 3 was great and I've heard lots of good things about Borgen.

I'm still going through Series 1 and it does help as you see the PM from the beginning and the changes that happen.
    But then I think series 2 stands on it's own too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    chloe_26 wrote: »
    I'm still going through Series 1 and it does help as you see the PM from the beginning and the changes that happen.
    But then I think series 2 stands on it's own too.

I don't mind things going over my head, it's my own silly fault. I just don't want to get completely lost and have to give up in the few weeks.
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot how gripping this show is.

It's great how action-packed it feels even without physical action.
  • PaulraffPaulraff Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    lala_dos wrote: »

I don't mind things going over my head, it's my own silly fault. I just don't want to get completely lost and have to give up in the few weeks.

One of the great things about Borgen is that although seeing it in sequence gives you insight into character development you can still enjoy any episode in isolation as the stories are relatively self-contained each week. So even if you miss one or two you can get back onboard at any time, and you can also watch series 2 without having seen series 1.

That would not really work for The Bridge or The Killing, where missing episodes spoils things.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Paulraff wrote: »
    One of the great things about Borgen is that although seeing it in sequence gives you insight into character development you can still enjoy any episode in isolation as the stories are relatively self-contained each week.

Utterly agree.

Also, you can just get swept up in the sheer wonder of something different and classy.

2 hours uninterrupted escapism (including the midway pee break). :o
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magpie11 wrote: »
    As brilliant as Series 1.

But I miss Sanne :cry:

So do I but I couldn't for the life of me remember her name
    david1955 wrote: »
    Great to see how Denmark regards the EC in the same way as we do. Giving a failed politician a job as Commissioner, clearly not regarding that job as important.

A bit like how British PM treat the Northern Ireland Office as a dumping ground for awkward politicians

One of the names mentioned for commissioner was Troels but sadly not Hartmann. :(

Troels Höxenhaven, Justice Minister and deputy leader of the Labour party
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And loads of words are similar to English! There's a Dane on the Guardian series blogs for these shows who spends vast amounts of time educating us on the similarity of our languages e.g.

"Skal vi sende ham hjem nu?" = Shall we send him home now?

"Vi var her først" = We were here first

and there are lots more! He says that we just need to realise how similar so many of our every day words are to Danish words due to the Viking era - he put up a huge post with tons of details about it. The word order is generally far more similar between English and Danish than it is between Danish and German - Germans apparently often verbs at the end of sentences put whereas the Danish word order is pretty much like ours as you can see from the examples above.

I'm so used to hearing Danish in these shows now that I can detect the similarity myself at times.

I've noticed too that when Swedes and Norwegians say 'first' in their languages it sounds like how a Scot says 'first'.
    Interesting, tlp - always enlightened posts from you!
    Have noticed how many Scottish words are similar to Danish "born"(with that line through it) for children = bairn in Scots etc
    hame? for home... etc. Have noticed quite a few examples!
    Gosh, isn't this series FAB? Am glued to it already and I have never been remotely interested in Danish politics before!
    I'm actually preferring it to TK3 at the moment!