What is the best bang for buck used phone out there on ebay below £150.00

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
Forum Member
✭✭✭
At the rate manufacturers are releasing new models these days, there must be some great bargain for android phone out there on Ebay.
I currently use a Galaxy Ace, but am increasingly finding it too slow and unresponsive for me needs.
So looking for a nice big screen phone 4" - 4.5" with a nice speedy processor.,,,suggestions. Oh, looking for a phone that is easy to root too!

Comments

• finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am kind of interested in this as well, but have a limit of about £100. What I have been looking at is

HTC Desire HD
    Samsung Nexus S
    Motorola Atrix

All three have decent developer communities. The Atrix runs a dual core Tegra 2 with 1gb of RAM. They seem to be very cheap even with the "laptop" accessories.

Looking at the £150 limit, a HTC Sensation could well be about that price. However you may be lucky and pick up my phone (well not mine as I want more than £150), a Galaxy Nexus for about that kind of money.
  • moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For that price I'd definitely go with the Nexus S. Really good phone but no FM radio or SD card slot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moordown66 wrote: »
    For that price I'd definitely go with the Nexus S. Really good phone but no FM radio or SD card slot

The develpoer community is spot on for the Nexus S and I think that is the way I will jump. It is for my son later this year and he is currently using one of my old phones, a ZTE Blade, but it pains me every time I see that phone. In many ways I really think I am getting the phone for me to play with before I hand it over to him. Every Android device in our house is rooted and only my daughters cheapy 7" tablet is still stock. So I am looking forward to getting the phone and trying various custom ROMs out. Then of course I will default to Cyanogen Mod as always seems to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moordown66 wrote: »

No sd card slot is a bit of a deal breaker. FM radio I could live without....anything else to consider (with sd slot)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I am kind of interested in this as well, but have a limit of about £100. What I have been looking at is

HTC Desire HD
    Samsung Nexus S
    Motorola Atrix

All three have decent developer communities. The Atrix runs a dual core Tegra 2 with 1gb of RAM. They seem to be very cheap even with the "laptop" accessories.

Looking at the £150 limit, a HTC Sensation could well be about that price. However you may be lucky and pick up my phone (well not mine as I want more than £150), a Galaxy Nexus for about that kind of money.

It's a hard one. The Motorola Atrix is 4G and very cheap and can be rooted with ease. The mind boggles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    having got one myself, i cannot fault my Galaxy Note II CLONE, £140

see the full thread on these phones

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1777011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    having got one myself, i cannot fault my Galaxy Note II CLONE, £140

see the full thread on these phones

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1777011

A bit too big for my liking. I would consider a chinese clone if it could be trusted for reliability and could be rooted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    sensation xe should be in reach , well worth a punt :)
  • moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nexus S is 16gb and I'd definitely vouch for it. I had mine on contract for 2 years and never quite filled it. Was really REALLY easy to root, some great ROM's out there for it. My son has it now. There's always Google Cloud or similar too if 16gb isn't enough. Don't touch the Desire HD. Way too long in the tooth and battery was rubbish. Not really familiar with the Motorola
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sensation xe should be in reach , well worth a punt :)

This looks like a great phone with a snapdragon processor....Is there a updated operating system for this phone?

8 MP Primary Camera
    0.3 MP Secondary Camera
    4.3-inch Touchscreen
    1.5 GHz Scorpion Processor
    Wi-Fi Enabled
    Full HD Recording
    Expandable Storage Capacity of 32 GB
    The HTC Sensation XE is a smartphone that is crafted with style and finesse. This touchscreen phone runs on Android v2.3.4 (Gingerbread) operating system and has a 1.5 GHz dual core processor integrated in to it. This HTC smartphone has a preloaded RAM size of 768 MB.
    The Sensation XE from HTC has a 4.3-inch qHD screen with a resolution of 540 X 960 pixels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    This looks like a great phone with a snapdragon processor....Is there a updated operating system for this phone?

8 MP Primary Camera
    0.3 MP Secondary Camera
    4.3-inch Touchscreen
    1.5 GHz Scorpion Processor
    Wi-Fi Enabled
    Full HD Recording
    Expandable Storage Capacity of 32 GB
    The HTC Sensation XE is a smartphone that is crafted with style and finesse. This touchscreen phone runs on Android v2.3.4 (Gingerbread) operating system and has a 1.5 GHz dual core processor integrated in to it. This HTC smartphone has a preloaded RAM size of 768 MB.
    The Sensation XE from HTC has a 4.3-inch qHD screen with a resolution of 540 X 960 pixels.

There is an official 4.0 build for the XE. There is also a selection of 4.1 & 4.2 ROMs as well:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1112

Also there is a Cyanogen Mod 10 (Android 4.1.2) build as well. I have no idea how stable it is but I would give it a look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dezire - if you can get a XE for £150 then go for it. But they do seem to be going for similar money as the GNexus and I would the GNex is the better phone. The only thing the XE has is removable storage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    dezire - if you can get a XE for £150 then go for it. But they do seem to be going for similar money as the GNexus and I would the GNex is the better phone. The only thing the XE has is removable storage.

The XE has all I need really. I will consider the Nexus S - would I really use 16gb of data music....not sure. I have lived with a Galaxy Ace with a 16gb card which has never been anywhere near full...so maybe.
    Forum Member
    A bit too big for my liking. I would consider a chinese clone if it could be trusted for reliability and could be rooted.

you can get the S3 versions too,so smaller. They can be rooted, as I have done mine with no issues. I have had mine 2 months now, with no issues whatsoever. it is 'almost' identical to the official Note 2, and is 1/5 of the price:D

Plus, i get to use twin sims! ideal for home and work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can get the S3 versions too,so smaller. They can be rooted, as I have done mine with no issues. I have had mine 2 months now, with no issues whatsoever. it is 'almost' identical to the official Note 2, and is 1/5 of the price:D

Plus, i get to use twin sims! ideal for home and work

I think I have seen these phones....i9300's? Can you post a link to a reliable seller. It there a website to show how to root these phones?
    Forum Member
    I got mine from these guys on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/rc-engine-market/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

UK seller, posted same day recored, but he has no 9300's

Just search on Ebay, and make sure the seller is in the UK.
  • stringmanstringman Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    The XE has all I need really. I will consider the Nexus S - would I really use 16gb of data music....not sure. I have lived with a Galaxy Ace with a 16gb card which has never been anywhere near full...so maybe.

Or you could buy a sensation and then load the xe rom on it
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    It's a hard one. The Motorola Atrix is 4G and very cheap and can be rooted with ease. The mind boggles.

The Motorola Atrix is NOT 4G!
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would try and get hold of a Galaxy S2 its still a brilliant phone albeit a little plasticky.
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    iPhone 3GS. Best phone available for that money by far.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    iPhone 3GS. Best phone available for that money by far.

Not sure if trolling? or deadly serious? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    I would try and get hold of a Galaxy S2 its still a brilliant phone albeit a little plasticky.

I was looking at the Galaxy S2 today at my local back street phone shop. I would get a nice trade in for my ace and splash out a hundred quid for a decent used on. They are pretty well designed phones and very powerful.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm using one at the moment till the new phone arrives, as fast as my S3, removable battery, sd card slot, it ticks all the boxes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    The Motorola Atrix is NOT 4G!

They called HSPA+ 4G in America before LTE was rolled out. On XDA it is known as the Atrix 4G.