• Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Beckinsale - I think he was 32

Also Pete Duel - died at 31
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Dermot Morgan here. Father Ted has become a classic in the years since he's passed away. Imagine the career he'd have had off the back of it :(

What about Buddy Holly? He was more talented than Elvis IMO.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Agree about Gary Holton, I remember to this day how that vile rag The Daily Star hounded him to his death. W**kers.

What happened?
    What about Buddy Holly? He was more talented than Elvis IMO.

I said Buddy too. What a waste :(
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eva Cassidy such a great Voice and think she could of gone on do so much more, only 33 when she died:eek:
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quatro wrote: »
    Eddie Cochran was amazing, a true talent abruptly cut short.

Brian Jones - an original Rolling Stone.

Keith Moon - drummer in the Who.

Keith wasn't at his peak when he died. Far from it.
  • Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick Drake
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sid James.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Mitch Hedberg count? I think he was just starting to get big when he overdosed.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura Sadler wasn't at her peak, she was a promising actress who would probably have had a successful career but she wasn't well known even when she died and sadly seems to have been largely forgotten. Most of the names here arguably died before reaching their peak.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 200,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »

Also Pete Duel - died at 31

A sad day, when he went to boothill !!! :(:(
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one mentioned Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes?!
    She was already a megastar with TLC, but her solo career was just about coming together when she was sadly taken from this world.
    I believe she would have cemented her status as the undisputed leading female rap star (she pretty much already was at the turn of the millennium) and would be as influential in the music world as a Jay-Z today.
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    She [Sharon Tate] and three friends, Abigail Folger, Wojciech Frykowski and Jay Sebring (and a young man visiting the guest house, Steven Parent) were not just murderedmbut slaughtered by followers of Charles Manson on his instructions. It was a random killing, Manson wanted to 'teach Hollywood a lesson' because he had failed to get a record deal.

It wasn't a random killing at all: Manson knew who he was after and why (nothing to do with failing to land a record deal), and who lived there: he'd been there when Terry Melcher lived there, and also knew Melcher had moved out and rented it to Polanski. It just so happened that there were others present at the house that evening who were literally, and tragically, in the wrong place at the wrong time. Manson was a lot more deeply involved with the Hollywood A list of the time than anyone cared - or still cares - to admit. When he dies, the full story will emerge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    It wasn't a random killing at all: Manson knew who he was after and why (nothing to do with failing to land a record deal), and who lived there: he'd been there when Terry Melcher lived there, and also knew Melcher had moved out and rented it to Polanski. It just so happened that there were others present at the house that evening who were literally, and tragically, in the wrong place at the wrong time. Manson was a lot more deeply involved with the Hollywood A list of the time than anyone cared - or still cares - to admit. When he dies, the full story will emerge.

Terry Melcher rented Cielo Drive when Manson knew him, but he wasn't the owner and didn't rent it to Polanski. The owner was Rudi Altobelli He kept the house until selling it to Trent Rezner in the 80's. He also sued Roman Polanski for the "mess left behind" (Sharon's blood on the carpet)

Only idiots like his followers were attracted to Manson's garbage. (I'm not directing that at you) Terry Melcher gave him a wide berth when he realised what a waste of space he was. It is the biggest travesty that this guy, who did nothing to contribute to society is more known than the people who died on his orders. Abigail Folger, in particular, a quiet philanthropist, who had taught children in the Watts ghetto how to read and write, could have really made something of herself. She was just two days shy of her 26th birthday. Steven Parent, a young man working TWO jobs to put himself through college, could have been a Bill Gates type of figure, he was a genius with technical gadgets.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Eva Cassidy such a great Voice and think she could of gone on do so much more, only 33 when she died:eek:

Oh definitely. So sad, that.

A lot of people on this thread don't qualify on the 'peak' front. 'Peak' is when they had more or less the world at their feet and everything was well in their lives. Did a lot of very talented stars die too young, yes. And tragically, yes. But only a handful of people here died at the peak of their careers.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »

To be honest I think a lot of her posthumous success was due to her tragic backstory, i'm not so sure it would have happened if she'd been still alive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened?

Daily Star ran an awful story about Gary Holton with regards to his drug addiction and that he was dealing in it as well which was not accurate and put the star into a downward spiral which in my opinion made him take his own life with a morphine overdose mixed with alcohol, very sad indeed. His own mother petitioned the news paper after his death to get them to apologise for there disgusting lying reports about her son, like the nasty newspaper it is they refused, the poor mother suffered in the lost of her son as well as that scum rag being responsible for a witch hunt.

Gary Holton was a actor and singer who died way before his time.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natasha Richardson...that was a tragedy.....

Andy Gibb.. Just when he was getting his life together.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kymberly wrote: »
    Don't know if the actor John Cazale has been mentioned. Starred in some classic films of the 70s first two Godfathers, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon and I believe died before the release of his last film The Deer Hunter. :(

He was dating Meryl Streep at the time too...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Eddie Guerrero
    Owen Hart
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Epstein.
  • annielouannielou Posts: 10,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first name that sprang to mind was

Richard Beckinsale,

then Mel Appleby,

then Karen Carpenter, such a beautiful voice.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    charlotte coleman shocked me - i grew up watching her on worzel gummidge and she was in 3 weddings & a funeral - i dunno it just seemd sad and she was only 33
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cynet wrote: »

Daily Star ran an awful story about Gary Holton with regards to his drug addiction and that he was dealing in it as well which was not accurate and put the star into a downward spiral which in my opinion made him take his own life with a morphine overdose mixed with alcohol, very sad indeed. His own mother petitioned the news paper after his death to get them to apologise for there disgusting lying reports about her son, like the nasty newspaper it is they refused, the poor mother suffered in the lost of her son as well as that scum rag being responsible for a witch hunt.

Thanks for answering misslibertine in my absence cynet, I was away from my computer. I remember the whole thing clearly, was visiting relatives in Wales at the time for about a week or so and it seemed for every single day of that stay The Star printed another 'expose' of GH, for no good reason that I could work out. I was only about fifteen at the time but even then thought it was disgraceful, and my opinion has not changed. The Sunday Sport had more journalistic and moral integrity than that rag EVER had...
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    I'd actually like to add Joe Orton, who was starting to reach his potential as a writer, when he was murdered.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cynet wrote: »

kaybee15 wrote: »
    Thanks for answering misslibertine in my absence cynet, I was away from my computer. I remember the whole thing clearly, was visiting relatives in Wales at the time for about a week or so and it seemed for every single day of that stay The Star printed another 'expose' of GH, for no good reason that I could work out. I was only about fifteen at the time but even then thought it was disgraceful, and my opinion has not changed. The Sunday Sport had more journalistic and moral integrity than that rag EVER had...

Thanks for the information both. I knew his name and face as my mother loved Auf Weidersen, Pet but I wasn't born when he died so I didn't know very much about it.