Andrea Mclean to become stand-up comedian?

maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
Forum Member
✭✭
Last week on 'Loose Women' Andrea said comedy is something she'd like to delve into and find out more about, and that if her material was good enough she would consider doing a bit of stand-up.

I think she'd be pretty good. She's quite funny on 'LW' and it's not scripted (I think) so do you think she'd do well?

Comments

• Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Advice for Ms McClean(& anyone else), track down a copy of a BBC regional opt out called Stand Up For The Midlands/South/Yorkshire, narrated by Angus Deayton and featuring Look Norths Harry Gration & Midlands Todays Jo Malin & some radio presenter from the South, from a few years back, then say they still want to do it.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it stops her from getting her kit off in Closer magazine then feel free, love.

She's about as charismatic and interesting as curdled milk, so it'd be interesting to see her die a death on stage:D
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..There are very very VERY few Women considered funny in this world if we're all being honest and Andrea Mclean as pretty as she is....will never ever be one of them.
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no way Andrea Mclean could make it as a comedienne. She hasn't got the strength of character or even the voice projection to start.
    Having a sense of humour and the odd witty remark does not make a comedienne. Imagine someone heckling her, she would be so upset someone didn't like her as much as she likes herself, she would just cry.
    Another over inflated ego.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She could only be better than Sarah Millican - but then again, a dead horse issuing faeces over the stage would be funnier than Sarah Millican............
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    She could only be better than Sarah Millican - but then again, a dead horse issuing faeces over the stage would be funnier than Sarah Millican............

I agree, and the dead horse would be less crude too.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..There are very very VERY few Women considered funny in this world if we're all being honest and Andrea Mclean as pretty as she is....will never ever be one of them.

Why should that be, though? Why would comedy be a largely male preserve?
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some very funny women out there, of different genres. She could give it a go but I'm not sure whether she'd measure up. You have to be quick, highly observant and able to respond to all eventualities without looking 'weak'. She seems to have grown in confidence over the last few years as batting it out with some of her colleagues on LW has made her stick up for herself and thicker-skinned. She was saying something to that effect quite recently. How she'd handle a hostile crowd in some comedy club might be a very different experience. I'd admire her for testing the water, though. If she's trying out different things, I think that's braver than sticking to the same 'niche' all her working life, even if it doesn't work out.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, she was probably joking - jeez.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Wow, she was probably joking - jeez.

So, she's taken the first step, then! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Joan Rivers - funniest person in the world
    Amy Poehler
    Tina Fey
    Sarah Silverman
    Josie Long
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Last week on 'Loose Women' Andrea said comedy is something she'd like to delve into and find out more about, and that if her material was good enough she would consider doing a bit of stand-up.

I think she'd be pretty good. She's quite funny on 'LW' and it's not scripted (I think) so do you think she'd do well?

no, she is not funny in the slightest
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    her nostrils are very off putting, she most get a shed load of unwanted smells
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not shown any signs of being a comedian on Loose Women. She's just came across as the average presenter. I would never have guessed that she would have been a comedian, or that she should either.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well she's made a good start because I'm pissing myself laughing already....

Mind you I don't think Sue Perkins is in any danger...
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just find her attempts at humour on Loose Women are cringeworthy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    God help us all.

Who next Lorraine Kelly??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joan Rivers - funniest person in the world
    Amy Poehler
    Tina Fey
    Sarah Silverman
    Josie Long

..I don't find any of those women even remotely funny, ok well Joan has gotten a few giggles out of me a couple times but the rest are just dismal...really dismal.

And I said a few it's just a few and it's usually the ones like Joan who are very un-pc and that's all she has really theres no eye opening social commentary or anything else, can you see McClean doing un-pc jokes like that? I can't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..I don't find any of those women even remotely funny, ok well Joan has gotten a few giggles out of me a couple times but the rest are just dismal...really dismal.

And I said a few it's just a few and it's usually the ones like Joan who are very un-pc and that's all she has really theres no eye opening social commentary or anything else, can you see McClean doing un-pc jokes like that? I can't.

No.

I imagine a baby shitting its nappy continually for 2 hours would be funnier than anything McLean could produce.

So, we have ascertained that we don't think she would be funny.

Fine that you don't find any of those women funny; however, you said there are very very few women who are funny and I counteracted that with a list of women who generally are thought of as funny; irrespective of whether you personally find them funny.

& if you want social commentary, try Silverman or Josie Long for starters. Or perhaps you find Michael McIntyre's turgid commentary amusing?

In any case it's a complete travesty to say that there are no funny women, just because you fail to find the ones I quoted funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

I imagine a baby shitting its nappy continually for 2 hours would be funnier than anything McLean could produce.

So, we have ascertained that we don't think she would be funny.

Fine that you don't find any of those women funny; however, you said there are very very few women who are funny and I counteracted that with a list of women who generally are thought of as funny; irrespective of whether you personally find them funny.

& if you want social commentary, try Silverman or Josie Long for starters. Or perhaps you find Michael McIntyre's turgid commentary amusing?

In any case it's a complete travesty to say that there are no funny women, just because you fail to find the ones I quoted funny.

Well you gave me a list of a very few, you didn't give me a good 100 or so did you? something that could possibly be done for male comedians.

Again I'm not trying to say that women aren't funny but I am yet to discover any female comedian that has combined all the elements to provide truly awe inspiring material...what I mean is that there really isn't a female George Carlin or Bill Hicks out there. And if you think Sarah Silverman is anything like the aforementioned duo in her forced pseudo-anarchic drivel then that says it all really..yes Sarah we get that you're a self-hating Jewish athiest who likes to talk candidly about bodily fluids can we move on now please?

As far as Josie Long goes, her catastrophic performance on HIGNFY last night concluded for me all I needed to know about her, however to her she did somewhat admit she was completely out of her depth in regards to political comedy at the start of the show.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tig Notaro Live is one of the most perfect 30 minutes of stand up ever recorded. Whether she could ever follow it up is debatable, but seriously, if you think women can't do stand up: there you go.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elaine Stritch may be knocking on, but she remains my favourite female comedienne. It's all in the delivery. :) She's not even known for being a comedienne, but I find her hysterical.

Joan Rivers. An extremely funny woman. She is so vulgar, but I can't help but find her funny.

Andrea McLean has a long way to go ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you gave me a list of a very few, you didn't give me a good 100 or so did you? something that could possibly be done for male comedians.

Again I'm not trying to say that women aren't funny but I am yet to discover any female comedian that has combined all the elements to provide truly awe inspiring material...what I mean is that there really isn't a female George Carlin or Bill Hicks out there. And if you think Sarah Silverman is anything like the aforementioned duo in her forced pseudo-anarchic drivel then that says it all really..yes Sarah we get that you're a self-hating Jewish athiest who likes to talk candidly about bodily fluids can we move on now please?

As far as Josie Long goes, her catastrophic performance on HIGNFY last night concluded for me all I needed to know about her, however to her she did somewhat admit she was completely out of her depth in regards to political comedy at the start of the show.

I don't recall comparing her to those 2 in any way??:confused:

As for Josie Long, didn't see her on that, but I've seen her live several times and her political commentary is very astute. 1 crap TV performance doesn't mean we should dismiss her work entirely. But you probably will because you don't like her.
  • Pickle2012Pickle2012 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Was there not something on here a few months ago about someone who was ill and wanted to do stand up, Im sure it said something about the person being on their own with their child? Cant remember if it was an American they were talking about??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pickle2012 wrote: »
    Was there not something on here a few months ago about someone who was ill and wanted to do stand up, Im sure it said something about the person being on their own with their child? Cant remember if it was an American they were talking about??

I think the general consensus was that it referred to ex Dawson Creek, ex of Batman, got an oscar nomination last year.