BBC Sound of 2014

afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,153
Forum Member
The website is up http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ky6g6 so It's soon gonna be that time of year again when the great and the good tell us what we'll all be listening to in the year ahead. I'm sure HAIM haven't been off your gramophone this year, huh?

If The Independent is to be believed Sam Smith, Ella Eyre and Royal Blood should feature, but what do DS users think will end up on the list? Who are your tips for the top?

The top three newcomers I've enjoyed most this year who may trouble the list would be:

Radkey: Some punky metal grungey hardcore for you. Hard to believe they're still in their teens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5K0ZOH-koY

The Orwells: More youngsters from the States here with their brand of garage rock: On my 'to do' list, live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjWPUR1STOc

Findlay: Really enjoyed her/their brand of pop-rock-blues this year; gonna see them on Tuesday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSt_GZuGxP0

What say you, DS?

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Foxes
    She is heavily tipped for great things. There is no music website i go where people are raving about her. Her material so far is brill.
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,153
    Forum Member
    I think Foxes misses out due to having a top 20 hit a couple of days before the deadline; it was 11th November, 2012 for the 2013 list. But if not a good shout, yes.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They got quite a few correct in the past but in recent years they've been well off.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've played the Haim album a lot and would have played it more if I hadn't already been listening to all the singles that are included for ages.

I also watched them live twice this year and may possibly see them again this month, if not I'm sure I'll see them in 2014.
    I did also go to a couple of their gigs in 2012 so didn't need the BBC to tell me how good they were!

afcbfan wrote: »
    The website is up http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ky6g6 so It's soon gonna be that time of year again when the great and the good tell us what we'll all be listening to in the year ahead. I'm sure HAIM haven't been off your gramophone this year, huh?
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of like Radkey there music reminds me of The Ramones at there darkest along with the Fuzztones.
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My picks:

FKA Twigs
    Banks
    Wolf Alice
    Circa Waves
    Marika Hackman
    Chloe Howl
    Say Lou Lou
    Honeyblood

I reckon at least two of those will make the list:D
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radkey sound wicked!
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't Sam Smith and Ella Eyre be ineligible, since they featured on #1 hits this year?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me;

all about she
    Ry X
    Chloe Howl
    Florrie
    Vance Joy
  • itunesfestival2itunesfestival2 Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The long list is being announced tomorrow it's been confirmed, by Radio 1's Twitter! Plus, Zane Lowe's show is about the Sound of 2014 it says on the schedule. HYPED.
  • AliBaba2010AliBaba2010 Posts: 4,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,153
    Forum Member
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Wouldn't Sam Smith and Ella Eyre be ineligible, since they featured on #1 hits this year?

Not sure. 2013 rules - assume they are the same this year - also say: "They must not already be famous i.e. generally known by the UK public, (e.g. member of a hit band going solo)."
    For me;

all about she
    Ry X
    Chloe Howl
    Florrie
    Vance Joy

Good shout. Berlin is one of my tunes of the year.

Oh, the list is revealed at midnight, apparently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My picks:

FKA Twigs
    Banks
    Wolf Alice
    Circa Waves
    Marika Hackman
    Chloe Howl
    Say Lou Lou
    Honeyblood

I reckon at least two of those will make the list:D
    The first 4 on your list are what came to my mind too but I haven't been looking around for new artists for a while.

I did read an article the other day where it said the record labels are looking for young male acoustic singer-songwriter types because of the success of Ben Howard and Jake Bugg. The artists mentioned were Lewis Watson (meh), Hudson Taylor (meh) and Luke Sital-Singh (better) so one of them could be on the list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Longlist is up - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ky6g6/profiles/thelonglist

BANKS
    Chance The Rapper
    Chloe Howl
    Ella Eyre
    FKA Twigs
    George Ezra
    Jungle
    Kelela
    Luke Sital-Singh
    MNEK
    Nick Mulvey
    Royal Blood
    Sam Smith
    Sampha
    Say Lou Lou
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the whole concept of 170 "tastemakers" deciding what I should like pretentious in the extreme.

Especially as those "tastemakers" will have absolutely no concept or idea of the genres I like, so the best of those bands will never make the list no matter how good they are.
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    I find the whole concept of 170 "tastemakers" deciding what I should like pretentious in the extreme.

Especially as those "tastemakers" will have absolutely no concept or idea of the genres I like, so the best of those bands will never make the list no matter how good they are.

Aye I have to say, referring to the pundits who came up with this list as "tastemakers" did strike me as being particularly ludicrous. :D

But I'll give this lot a listen anyway, there's some acts in here I'm not familiar with and I've no problem with using things like this as a way of discovering interesting music that might otherwise have passed me by.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    MNEK, Sam, Chloe, Ella, Kellela, Banks, Chance and Jungle all sound promising. But there's no incredible stand outs.

BBC Sound of 2014 Longlist (with artist previews)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=nsQl2rhjnZg
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coen wrote: »
    Aye I have to say, referring to the pundits who came up with this list as "tastemakers" did strike me as being particularly ludicrous. :D

But I'll give this lot a listen anyway, there's some acts in here I'm not familiar with and I've no problem with using things like this as a way of discovering interesting music that might otherwise have passed me by.

I have no problem with listening to music other people have heard and recommend.

I just find the whole concept of a person being called a "tastemaker" staggeringly pretentious. :rolleyes:
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit annoyed that Foxes misses out on the longlist, with Ella Eyre and Sam Smith i dud not know they could be on the longlist having featured on number 1 singles.

Also bit disappointed that there are not many bands in the longlist but still not a bad list.
  • Tarriq IbrahimTarriq Ibrahim Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Has to be Sampha at number one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really hoped Catfish and the bottlemen would make the list, a quality young band
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit annoyed that Foxes misses out on the longlist, with Ella Eyre and Sam Smith i dud not know they could be on the longlist having featured on number 1 singles.

Also bit disappointed that there are not many bands in the longlist but still not a bad list.
    Yes, a distinct lack of bands. I suppose they will do a top 5 again and I'd expect the more commercial, better known artists like Sam Smith and Ella Eyre to feature as well as BANKS (winner will probably be one of those 3).

There are some promising artists on the list but I always think an album is the true test and a better way of judging them. I like the sound of Jungle but judging by their soundcloud page their songs could be a bit samey. The kid dancing in their video is great though :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boring boring music. Radkey weren't even on the final list. No rock!! Boring!
  • steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coen wrote: »

I think thats the best way to look at it & use it give a listen and see if anyone like that may have past you by otherwise