Samsung LCD or LED

Hi,

I already own a Samsung 40 inch LCD TV which has a great picture and is a LE40B550A but am looking for a 50 inch LCD or LED.

What are the main differences between an LCD and LED please ?

I don't have a big budget at all to be honest and have seen a couple of deals online for a Samsung EH5300 50 inch at £649.00 LCD and an LED 50 inch UE50F5500 at £799.00 but I can't honestly tell if its worth paying an extra £150 ? I have opted for the Samsung TV as the TV mains lead is embedded into my wall so I would need to use the same cable plus I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 so I hope it will connect wirelessly ?

I would really appreciate some help please ?

Thanks again
Andrew

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LED TVs are LCD. The LEDs are the way the display panel is illuminated not how the actual image is formed. The other main type of illumination uses fluorescent lamps.

LEDs have the advantage that they are more easily controllable. So you could do clever tricks like vary the brightness of the LEDs to match the image, eg to make blacks even blacker. Though how well that works depends on just how sophisticated the LED illumination is.

The other main advantage of LED is it is much more compact. So you can build tellys that are as thin as a **** paper :D

The only way to be certain if the extra expense is worth it is to go and look at both sets side by side and see which produces the better pictures in your eyes. Though obviously how well the likes of Currys set up their display models and the store lighting can have a massive influence on what they look like.

Oh and don't make assumptions about the mains lead! There is no guarantee that one model of Samsung uses the same arrangement as any other model. Chances are they do but worth double checking before you hand over the hard earned. :) And in any case if it uses one of the bog standard mains connectors, either IEC or figure of eight then any telly with matching socket will work. It's only if Samsung use a unique mains connector that nobody else uses that you would be tied to them.

Many Smart TVs can connect either via cable or WiFI to your broadband router. Whether they can then interact with other devices connected to your router is another matter. You would think if you have two Samsung devices that they would be able to talk to each other.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an informative website that will help you decide..

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/led-tv.php
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    LEDs have the advantage that they are more easily controllable. So you could do clever tricks like vary the brightness of the LEDs to match the image, eg to make blacks even blacker. Though how well that works depends on just how sophisticated the LED illumination is.

CCFL LCD's have done that for years as well, most LED sets are only edgelit anyway.

Can you even buy CCFL sets these days?, aren't they all pretty well LED?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    The set I have been looking at is Direct lit LED but my main worry is whether the picture will be less clear than my current 40 inch Samsung LCD which is about 5 years old but seems to have a great picture especially watching HD ?

Argos are selling the EH5300 Samsung 50 inch currently for £649 which sounds like a good deal, however I can't go and actually see what the picture is like.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    The picture will be better than your old one. Not just because of the change in the lighting but there have also been advances in the tech behind the TV and better panels in the last 5 years.
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    The picture will be better than your old one. Not just because of the change in the lighting but there have also been advances in the tech behind the TV and better panels in the last 5 years.
    Thanks very much for this - it certainly helps as I am just worried I am buying a TV which has a bigger screen but a worse picture.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »

'Perhaps' - but there were some phenomenal pictures on good quality LCD sets even five years (and more) ago, comparing a cheap set now and an expensive set from then might be disappointing.

I would say with LED sets though, give yourself time to get used to it - the pictures are 'different' to CCFL ones, and it might take you time to adjust to that difference.
    Forum Member
    'Perhaps' - but there were some phenomenal pictures on good quality LCD sets even five years (and more) ago, comparing a cheap set now and an expensive set from then might be disappointing.

I would say with LED sets though, give yourself time to get used to it - the pictures are 'different' to CCFL ones, and it might take you time to adjust to that difference.
    Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the info - I agree it is a difficult choice and at the time we bought our first Samsung 40inch LCD it even took a bit of getting used from our old conventional TV which was huge and very heavy.

I think I may take the plunge as it seems a really good deal and the reviews I have seen all seem very good, I just haven't found anyone who owns one that I can speak to directly.
  • fosteritefosterite Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I have Samsung f7000 "40" led TV. I will tell you that the picture quality in HD will be noticeable superior to a LCD or Plasma set of 5 years old if you go for the f7000 or above. Of course this TV is over £1000 pound so depends on your budget really. However if you can afford it check one out running in HD. You will see the difference in pq.
    Forum Member
    fosterite wrote: »
    I have Samsung f7000 "40" led TV. I will tell you that the picture quality in HD will be noticeable superior to a LCD or Plasma set of 5 years old if you go for the f7000 or above. Of course this TV is over £1000 pound so depends on your budget really. However if you can afford it check one out running in HD. You will see the difference in pq.

That was quick!! :)
    Forum Member
    Yeah I went and found a Curry's where they had one in stock. Got it home and installed it on the stand I already owned and bobs your uncle. Went on some tech forums to find the best way to set the pic up. Am well impressed with sky HD now. The clarity actually does look 5 times better than Standard Def. No ready break shine around football players at last. Glad I made this choice of TV.
    Forum Member
    Nice one..............Enjoy..
    Forum Member
    I am cheers.