DVD rip software

Hi all.

Can anyone recommend the best free DVD rip software? I just want to put DVDs on to my Nexus 10.

Comments

• redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Herts Iron wrote: »
    Hi all.

Can anyone recommend the best free DVD rip software? I just want to put DVDs on to my Nexus 10.

mplayer
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are many packages to rip DVDs that are not protected, and to say which is best is a very personal choice. Some like simple programs that basically copy DVDs. Other like full editting capability. At the end of the day, just use google and you will get many choices.

Of course, most DVDs are copyrighted, and software to rip these is not considered a suitable forum subject.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Why do you need to rip DVDs these days? It is very old fashioned. There are much quicker ways such as Ultraviolet.
  • dont_be_hastydont_be_hasty Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Handbrake is free and works on windows, mac and linux. It will allow you to rip the DVD to mp4 or mkv format.

http://handbrake.fr/

You can then use apps such a VLC or MX Player on your Nexus to watch them.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Why do you need to rip DVDs these days? It is very old fashioned. There are much quicker ways such as Ultraviolet.

Don't we all feel silly now. :rolleyes:
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

So it's best to buy your film collection rather than ripping them?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    So it's best to buy your film collection rather than ripping them?

Most DVDs come with Ultraviolet these days.
    Forum Member

excellent. :rolleyes:
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Ultraviolet might be more popular now but they still have a lot of restrictions but if you rip you get DRM free copies that you can use as you see fit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Herts Iron wrote: »
    Hi all.

IDK why there isn't an Android app that works like iTunes, stick in an original disc and you can play a copy on your device.

DVD Decrypter still works on the majority of titles. It just proves that the market is gone on DVDs - the studios have all titles pretty much on budget release soon after the pre-order and release dates have passed. Obviously, as with home taping, the Film and TV industry is surviving.

I use Freemake Video Converter to convert to whatever container, format, size or screen I need,

But why on earth would you buy from a pirate when the original is as little cost as a rental (and no-one does that either)?

Hint: To the movie industry - we told you so. If the originals are cheap enough, piracy isn't the option. Hopefully Blu-Ray will go the same way soon, it's already started.

But, just look on ebay at the Ultraviolet/Digital DL vouchers being sold on. There are always people willing to extract every last penny from a purchase. And ebay don't care.

When things are download only, they'll still be stripped of DRM, so tell the industry to keep it cheap.

We'll be watching very safe, predictable releases and digital actors very soon. Message ends :)
    Forum Member

Still back to my original point - if you have lots of films on DVDyou don't want to have to buy them again again to get the Digital version when you can just rip a DVD.

Are you sure you don't work for a film studio? :D
  • GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handbrake is free and works on windows, mac and linux. It will allow you to rip the DVD to mp4 or mkv format.

http://handbrake.fr/

You can then use apps such a VLC or MX Player on your Nexus to watch them.

I have just downloaded this program as I too want to watch DVD rips on my Tablet.

When I run the program I select the DVD via the Source button,
    select the chapters 1 through 51 (running time 2hrs) and then choose the output file destination in MP4 format.
    When I click start all it does is makes an MP4 file about 1.5k in size then finishes after about 3 seconds. Whats going wrong?
    http://postimg.org/image/cw2385ch5/
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are some paid ones that I use:

Any DVD converter for Android
    Magic DVD ripper
    Any DVD converter for ios

They aren't free but they work very well.
    Forum Member
    GoodBuddy wrote: »
    I have just downloaded this program as I too want to watch DVD rips on my Tablet.

When I run the program I select the DVD via the Source button,
    select the chapters 1 through 51 (running time 2hrs) and then choose the output file destination in MP4 format.
    When I click start all it does is makes an MP4 file about 1.5k in size then finishes after about 3 seconds. Whats going wrong?
    http://postimg.org/image/cw2385ch5/

the dvd is copy protected.

free options for circumventing it are limited. but you could try dvd fab passkey lite
    http://www.dvdfab.com/passkey-lite.htm

you install it, run it and it sits in the background.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    the dvd is copy protected.

free options for circumventing it are limited. but you could try dvd fab passkey lite
    http://www.dvdfab.com/passkey-lite.htm

you install it, run it and it sits in the background.

Thanks. I thought it may just show an error if it was protected. I shall have to look at other options. I don't mind paying for it as long as it does what it says on the box.:)
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Handbrake can't rip protected disc by itself but if you install vlc it will will take care of that for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    Handbrake can't rip protected disc by itself but if you install vlc it will will take care of that for you.

Found it...will give it a go
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    DVD XCopy :cool:

Now defunct, so you need to have been around for quite a few years to have picked that one up, though. Still works a treat.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the day when I used discs, I used DVD Shrink for ripping. Seem to remember you could ignore trailers, extras, menus etc and just get the movie. Worked with protected discs. Usual caveat applies - get from reliable source + watch out for toolbars, unwanted cr*p etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lumstorm wrote: »

All sorted. There is a good tutorial on youtube (I cant post a link as im typing this on my phone). All I needed to do was download a required dll file and boom it works fine. Just wish it was a bit quicker ripping but thats just me being impatient. :o
    Forum Member
    GoodBuddy wrote: »
    All sorted. There is a good tutorial on youtube (I cant post a link as im typing this on my phone). All I needed to do was download a required dll file and boom it works fine. Just wish it was a bit quicker ripping but thats just me being impatient. :o

Just use copy and paste to post a link if you are on your phone - I often send links to myself that way.