Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just finished on BBC 3.

A Roman crying is cool.:)

Comments

• Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was SOOOO happy seeing the centurion Rory again :)
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite episodes from S6 everyone does a great job.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pre credit sequence is amazing...."do you want me to repeat the question?" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As was the reaveal at the time for those of us who hadn't worked it out. And I love Amy and Rory's reaction at the very end: as Radio Times remarked at the time, Arthur's scalp moves!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing that i like about this episode is that The Doctor doesn't appear in it until around 20 minutes in, but his presence is everywhere.....very deftly done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Add me to the list of those who love this episode, great ride and it really does fly by. Two bits that haven't been mentioned yet that always stand out for me:

1) I adore the prison cell for Amy. She's thousands of years out of her own time, they have the ultimate hostage to ensure her co-operation and there's nothing other than a toothbrush she can use as a weapon. Yet they still make sure to have guards on a nice high ledge with good eyelines everywhere and always seem just a tad edgy around her. Guess someone read up on the Scots... :p

2) Matt's performance after the Doctor has taken the asteroid is phenomenal. We saw in series 5 how well he could portray the ancient sadness element of the character, here we have the rage and it's verging on terrifying when the mask slips. Sod the Time Lord Victorious, that was just 10 turned up to... uh, 10.5. THIS version of the Doctor is the one you really don't want running around the universe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)

• Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Very Star Wars like this episode but one of my favourites too.

Plus it did introduce the Paternoster gang after all.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this again last night and loved it. I was one who didn't like the River story arc, and found the whole River reveal thing a bit tiresome. Also I thought the kidnapped baby story was a mistake - unsuitable for the sort of programme DW is, and dealt with badly.

All that didn't detract from the wonderful plotting and characterisation, the superb acting from Matt and others, the sheer pace and emotional roller coaster of this episode.

And Rory was just so absolutely perfect, wasn't he?
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the masterpieces of the Moffat era for me! :D

As already said, the fact the Doctor doesn't appear until 20 mins in shows the strength of all the supporting characters and how they carry that part of the ep so well.

The pre-title sequence is one my favourites of Nu-Who; the slight misleading of Amy's description was great...Rory at his most awesome too! :D

One thing I picked up on only recently was how those final 10 or so minutes when River finally arrives after the battle is how every word she speaks, Alex Kingston makes sure it all has an impact. Every word matters - such a powerful performance in so little screen time for River. Her earlier stormcage scene was lovely too - there were never enough River/Rory scenes in my opinon, but oh well!

Overall, everyone performs greatly here and its just one of my favourite Moffat eps. :D
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Didn't much care for this episode when I saw it, and when I got Series 6: Part 1 on DVD recently, I cared even less. It's a shame as everyone that takes part truly gives it their all.

I just felt there were too many elements for what was being shown, there were a lot of new characters to get through, a lot of ideas that could have warranted their own episodes. The Headless Monks and Kovarian were real highlights, but it was Alex Kingston's River Song that impressed most here, even despite the hyperbolic 'rise and fall of the Doctor' bit which basically undermined the more impressive moments we've seen from Smith in Series 5 and 7.

I felt that Rory's tougher edge came across as very forced. No discredit to Darvill, but it doesn't fit his character as we see him. Part of the strength of his character is always that we know he is brave and selfless for Amy, but that we tantalisingly never get to see it - we never see the 2000 years that he guarded the Pandorica, we never see or hear his response to getting touched by the angel in their final episode.

In my opinion, I let the episode off on account of it being only mid-series. The Wedding of River Song committed everything here on an even more disappointing scale by allowing for no breathing space and throwing in too many ideas with no room for development. Both episodes are an example of the Moffat era that I hate, rather than the Moffat era that I love - they pack in so much trying to be clever and cool, but become all style and little substance as a result.

Just my opinion is all, and I know it won't be highly agreed upon :p
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't much care for this episode when I saw it, and when I got Series 6: Part 1 on DVD recently, I cared even less. It's a shame as everyone that takes part truly gives it their all.

I just felt there were too many elements for what was being shown, there were a lot of new characters to get through, a lot of ideas that could have warranted their own episodes. The Headless Monks and Kovarian were real highlights, but it was Alex Kingston's River Song that impressed most here, even despite the hyperbolic 'rise and fall of the Doctor' bit which basically undermined the more impressive moments we've seen from Smith in Series 5 and 7.

I felt that Rory's tougher edge came across as very forced. No discredit to Darvill, but it doesn't fit his character as we see him. Part of the strength of his character is always that we know he is brave and selfless for Amy, but that we tantalisingly never get to see it - we never see the 2000 years that he guarded the Pandorica, we never see or hear his response to getting touched by the angel in their final episode.

In my opinion, I let the episode off on account of it being only mid-series. The Wedding of River Song committed everything here on an even more disappointing scale by allowing for no breathing space and throwing in too many ideas with no room for development. Both episodes are an example of the Moffat era that I hate, rather than the Moffat era that I love - they pack in so much trying to be clever and cool, but become all style and little substance as a result.

Just my opinion is all, and I know it won't be highly agreed upon :p

I agree! :D I just can't get past the appalling first five minutes of this episode - when did The Doctor become a mass murderer of Cybermen and how did he do it??? If he can defeat enemies so easily it makes all the rest of Doctor Who pretty meaningless. :mad:
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't get past the fact that this episode is total bunkum to be able to enjoy it. The baby thing and both Rory & epsecially Amy's reactions to it just aren't realistic. Yes, it's Doctor Who and Doctor Who is not realistic, but the emotional responses of characters still need to be credible.

Add the Cyberman holocaust and Rory's tacky and out of character action man posturing, a generally chaotic story that barely holds together and a lame duck surprise ending and it's definitely my least favourite story of Putty Face's run.

I do like two scenes, both towards the end: Strax's final words and when the Doctor pretends to remember the girl.
  • KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    The pre credit sequence is amazing...."do you want me to repeat the question?" :D

No question, just one of the best episodes of recent times :)
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Good Man Buys a Bra.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this again last night and loved it. I was one who didn't like the River story arc, and found the whole River reveal thing a bit tiresome. Also I thought the kidnapped baby story was a mistake - unsuitable for the sort of programme DW is, and dealt with badly.

All that didn't detract from the wonderful plotting and characterisation, the superb acting from Matt and others, the sheer pace and emotional roller coaster of this episode.

And Rory was just so absolutely perfect, wasn't he?

:):):)