Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liar Game: the Final Stage (2010) - 5/10

While watching this, I wanted to break every bone in the bodies of director Hiroaki Matsuyama and editor Goto Yamada. Strong and bold palette, great production values, fun premise and all, but god, the maniacal stuttering editing was irritating as hell. Using this to amplify dramatic moments has to be the laziest and most moronic technique around. Also? The 1990s called. MTV wants its editing style back.

Yes, I'm cranky. I wanted a decent fun tale about confidence tricksters, not a bloody MTV music video.
  • ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Iron Man 3 - I haven't seen the first 2 though, I thought it was good, I thought I would have hated it.

Far and Away
    - A story of Irish immigrants in the USA starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, it was very good but certainly nothing to get over excited about.
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Now You See Me (2013) 5/10
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Easy Come, Easy Go [1967]. Director: John Rich

5/10

Elvis and Hollywood failing to capture the spirit or music of 1967.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quiz Show, which I hadn't seen since it was first released on VHS. I enjoyed it a lot more this time around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WarGames
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    The Fugitive Kind (1960) - 8/10
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Gravity (2013)

This is basically an edge of your seat disaster movie set in space. Director Alfonso Cuarón deserves to be congratulated for making a film that's the right length (1.5 hrs) and not overlong - there's too much of that these days. He also keeps the drama going even with a modest sized cast and, again, that's rare these days.

Verdict: 9/10
    Technical point: The Russian Soyuz and related (i.e. copied) Chinese Shenzou return capsules are really meant to land on solid ground and not on water like the American Apollo capsules - see https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=soyuz+landing&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=hxeNUrafDIbO0QWWjoGIDQ&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=602
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amadeus Director's Cut - I'd already seen the original, shorter version several times (though not for several years), and always thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd read some reviews that reckoned the extra twenty minutes somewhat spoiled the film, but I didn't find that to be the case. They seemed to be mainly added to the earlier parts of the film, and did not lessen my enjoyment of the film. The improved picture quality of the Blu-ray was most welcome, too.

I'll give this one a 10/10, and I'm already anticipating re-watching it sometime next year.
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Collector (1965) 8/10
    Mother And Child (2009) 6/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Escape from the Planet of the Apes [1971]. Director: Don Taylor

6/10

A few apes come back in time to 70's California to keep the franchise going.
  • Jessica LeMoneJessica LeMone Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    The Great Gatsby

Boo hoo! I actually cried, all that money going to waste :(
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gravity - The greatest 3D film of all-time.

I normally refuse to watch 3D films if they are available in 2D, but this film must only be seen in 3D, otherwise you might not think it was as great.

8/10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Road Kill
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last few I've seen at cinema:

Philomena - excellent performances from Judi Dench and Steve Coogan and a great storyline. 5/5

Thor: The Dark World - a lot of fun! The ending made me excited for a potential 3rd film. 4/5

Gravity - 5/5 for the special effects, 0/5 for the storyline
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy [2004]. Director: Adam McKay

2/10

Seriously unfunny comedy.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Gravity - 8/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Blackfish - 8/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mimic 2 [2001]. Director: Jean de Segonzac

5/10

Routine giant bug movie.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Road Kill

Candy Cane.... Does anyone know where Candy Cane is?
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reservoir dogs . Good film I'd seen it previously about 8 years ago . I don't think it's as good as kill Bill or Pulp Fiction though and....
    Zero dark Thirty . Good film not as hideously pro American as I expected it to be . But my god Jessica Chastains character was so annoying like a 5 year old who jut wants constant attention and won't stfu .
    Also I did think it was slightly overlong and could have been edited down a bit . Sad to think it was James gandofilinis last film.
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blackfish - 8/10
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    Catching Fire - loved it, far preferred it to The Hunger Games!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zodiac
This discussion has been closed.