Getting Setanta on a TV with Freeview built in!

IvesyIvesy Posts: 86
Forum Member
My parents have a Sony TV (CRT) with freeview built in. At the backof the the TV there is a slot which I'm hoping is for the 'card' I presume you need to watch Setanata with. I think from memory it says PCMCIA slot.

Anyway they want to watch Setanta Sports on it so my question is how? When I registered for myself with them last week they wanted the viewing card number from my Sky card which was straightforward but in my parents case they don't have a card.

So how do they register? Would Satanta send them one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Setanta will send you a viewing card but you will have to get a CAM (Common Access Module) to put in the back of your telly which will support the card.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Ivesy wrote: »
    My parents have a Sony TV (CRT) with freeview built in. At the backof the the TV there is a slot which I'm hoping is for the 'card' I presume you need to watch Setanata with. I think from memory it says PCMCIA slot.

Anyway they want to watch Setanta Sports on it so my question is how? When I registered for myself with them last week they wanted the viewing card number from my Sky card which was straightforward but in my parents case they don't have a card.

You need to contact them and tell them you want a card for Freeview, you will also need a CAM that they will sell you.

The card fits in the CAM, the CAM fits in the TV.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You will need a CAM (conditional access module) and a viewing card, both of which can be bought direct from Setanta or even Argos.

Please bear in mind that there is only one Setanta channel on DTT (Freeview)

http://gb.setanta.tv/freeview.htm
  • east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I stated that in my second post :D
  • IvesyIvesy Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling it wouldn't be as straightforward as getting a card from Setanta to plug into this card slot at the back of the TV! any ideas what that is there for then if they need a CAM?

When you say one Setanta channel that seems a bit unfair when with Sky you get about 6 or 7 channels for the same price!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    The slot on your TV is for the CAM.

There are different CAMS for each encryption system, the CAM slot is so that TV's can be sold all over europe and still be used for subscription services.
  • wallydugwallydug Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling it wouldn't be as straightforward as getting a card from Setanta to plug into this card slot at the back of the TV! any ideas what that is there for then if they need a CAM?

When you say one Setanta channel that seems a bit unfair when with Sky you get about 6 or 7 channels for the same price!

Ivesy this was discussed on another forum,the cost of the one channel on DTT for broadcasting using the bandwith is very expensive compared to satelitte, this is due to limited availablitly of channel space so setanta are charged a premium rate. the limited availability is why there is only one channel. as more bandwidth becomes available setanta may increase channels
  • IvesyIvesy Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I see, thanks wallydug. One final question, can I assume that ALL the Live premiership games (Setanta have the rights for) will be show on Setanata 1 ie on Freeview?

Thanks again for the help
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    lstar337 wrote: »
    The slot on your TV is for the CAM.

Actually it's for a CI module - of which a CAM is only one of many possibilities.

Chris