Diana Vickers signs to So Recordings

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
Forum Member
It appears that Diana has been signed to So Recordings (the independent label that Matt Cardle is currently with) after parting ways from RCA in 2011.

They've recently uploaded three of Diana's songs ('Music to Make Boys Cry', 'Kiss of a Bullet' and 'Boy In Paris') to their official Soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/sorecordings/sets/diana-vickers

Finally the second album is happening. :D

Comments

• PJ RiverPJ River Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very talented girl.
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great choice of label from Diana, now she can get back up and hit the charts once more. :D
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weak material.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great! I can't wait to hear her new stuff. I don't think any of those songs that have been uploaded will be on the album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weak material.

That's the problem indeed. I prefer her first songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great! I can't wait to hear her new stuff. I don't think any of those songs that have been uploaded will be on the album.
    They will be, Diana has confirmed the following 9 tracks for the album
    Music To Make Boys Cry
    Kiss Of A Bullet
    Boy I Met In Paris
    Cinderella
    Lightning Strikes
    Smoke
    Dead Heat
    Love Sounds Better In French
    Mad At Me

This is excellent news to hear this confirmed. It seems she's finally starting to have some good luck for a change :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Hopefully we'll be hearing an announcement this month :) Diana has said she is looking at a Summer release for the album and there was a tweet last week from Gibson Guitars about her preparing to shoot a music video.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be June :) The album is a summer album, for sure. Very upbeat.
  • AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish her well. Matt is happy having creative control of his music and is doing well with the label, as an Indie artist.
  • OMGItsAnnieOMGItsAnnie Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's her career doomed from now on then - she could've at LEAST stuck with a Sony label :(
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    That's her career doomed from now on then - she could've at LEAST stuck with a Sony label :(

She's got more creative control now though! With Matt and Leona, having more creative control doesn't mean greater success. However, with someone like Diana who's got a quirky taste in music, I think it would be much better in expressing that side of her. I think it may work out.

And common Adele is signed to an independent label and look how well she's done with the extra creative control as a result. It just shows that it can work out with some people.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes - the label that brought commercial success to Matt Cardle....

Oh wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to lower your expectations when you work with an indy label.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »

Oh wait.

That's the thing though, Diana is not really interested in commercial success. She split from RCA because she wanted full creative control of her music and didn't want to be pushed down the dance pop route. So Recordings will serve Diana well, who cares if she doesn't get another number 1 album again? As long as we get the music released.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Diana has any expectations of huge commercial success.

Let's face it, her music is her creative outlet, not her job. She has enough money coming in from fashion and beauty endeavors to never have mainstream success again. She has a small enough fanbase to keep funding her music on an indie label.
  • outof theparkoutof thepark Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I don't think Diana has any expectations of huge commercial success.

Let's face it, her music is her creative outlet, not her job. She has enough money coming in from fashion and beauty endeavors to never have mainstream success again. She has a small enough fanbase to keep funding her music on an indie label.
    Well i think its its good on her that she does not want to just restrict her self to the fashion beauty thing ..she wants an outlet for her music
    I could be wrong but i remember reading on here she was a co -writer on a beyonce?? Track.. so she does have good songwriting skills
  • EnterEnter Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Fantastic news! :)

I've been a big fan since her first audition on The X Factor. I actually think she's the best act to come from the show but with her album being pushed further and further back, I did lose interest.

This will be a fresh start hopefully and we'll start to see more of her and her music from here on in :)
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is good news... she's been held back by the majors for too long :)
  • LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member

Oh wait.

No.8 on the album charts isn't commercial success?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh wait.

Yeah, the record label that encouraged him to co-write with James Walsh and other talented, professional writers. An album that he not only produced, played the majority of instruments and vocals and which provided him number 1 in the Indie Charts and number 8 on the Official Charts and kept him in the top 100 for a couple of months.

Then just for fun and without releasing this track for the single market he made this video, which ended up trending on twitter, keeping his fans more than happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swCHwFwOWtM

Another track that he produced, co-wrote and again provided vocals and instruments was the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhVUuzUlt4c

Neither of the tracks are for the pre-teen market, but I do not believe he was ever aiming to be a pop idol or wished to follow the celebrity/reality media route.

So yeah, Matt and his fans are more than happy with the direction his music is going with So Recordings.

No doubt Diane will have the same freedom and fun with her music and songwriting skills and even better for her, complete, creative control. Good luck and all the best Diane Vickers.
  • LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    Well you said it a lot better, ignore my post :p
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linseyap wrote: »
    No.8 on the album charts isn't commercial success?

An album can chart at number 1 (such as Marina and The Diamonds) and still have no commercial success as it bombs the following weeks, such as Matt Cardle.

Commercial success is like...3 weeks in the top 10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linseyap wrote: »
    Well you said it a lot better, ignore my post :p

We said the same and I am not ignoring your post. :)
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,764
    Forum Member
    An album can chart at number 1 (such as Marina and The Diamonds) and still have no commercial success as it bombs the following weeks, such as Matt Cardle.

Commercial success is like...3 weeks in the top 10.

Utter tripe.

Firstly, how can an album that has sold enough to get to #1 have "no" commercial success? That's like having a bowl with four grapes in it and saying that you have "no" grapes. Also, commercial success is not based on chart positions, but sales. At peak times of the year a #10 position would need around 30,000 sales and at others less than 5000 so your "3 weeks in the top 10" comment is pretty ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Utter tripe.

Firstly, how can an album that has sold enough to get to #1 have "no" commercial success? That's like having a bowl with four grapes in it and saying that you have "no" grapes. Also, commercial success is not based on chart positions, but sales. At peak times of the year a #10 position would need around 30,000 sales and at others less than 5000 so your "3 weeks in the top 10" comment is pretty ridiculous.

;););):):):):D:D:D