Defiance (360/PS3/PC)

2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
Forum Member
So anyone else excited for this game? I'll be honest I never even knew about it until recently since there's been a distinct lack of hype for it, I guess that might be because there's been so many high profile releases these past few weeks.

So for those that don't know here's a brief rundown. Defiance is a very rare breed indeed, a full blooded MMO on consoles! It's been five years in the making, no additional subscription fees are needed to play and it supports over 100 players at any one time in the game world. It's an open world TPS with RPG elements and is tied to the upcoming Television series, it features multi-objective on-foot and vehicular combat.

IGN gave a great one hour run-through with the developers on the 360 version which does good job of filling you in on what to expect, you can watch it HERE

I personally think it's looking pretty swish, one great point is that the while the game supports voicechat it also supports full text chat too (via wireless k/bs or the chatpad etc), this is great because the game will retain atmosphere and judging from those who have been taking part in the Beta, nearly everyone is using this method of communication.

Release date is this coming Tuesday April 2nd. I think I may even pick this up before Bioshock Infinite tbh, I really didn't see this one coming but I like it! :)

Comments

• The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking at this today in Asda and didnt realise it has been released yet?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    It's no supposed to be till Tuesday. Naughty Asda.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Probably one of the £5 pre-order placeholder cases.

I'll definitely be giving this a look, but I've no idea when I'll actually get to it. Currently in the middle of a Mass Effect trilogy play through, and then onto a Bioshock trilogy play. Defiance will probably fit in after that, before Fuse comes out.
  • The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Probably one of the £5 pre-order placeholder cases.

Nah it said nothing about pre ordering and it was in the Xbox chart. Didnt notice it in the PS3 chart though.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Nah it said nothing about pre ordering and it was in the Xbox chart. Didnt notice it in the PS3 chart though.

Looks like someone jumped the gun! :D

Unfortunately my local ASDA were not as thoughtful. Tvvats.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been looking forward to this for a while because I'm really interested in the TV show. I think it's really cool to have a game that supplements a show and vice versa, looking forward to see how they work with that.

My boyfriend got into the beta for it a couple of months back so I got to play it and it was really fun. I'm not really an MMO person, but I'm definitely picking this up, perhaps not straight away though.
    Forum Member
    Yeah people who have played the beta said it's very addictive, it's a lot of this gamer feedback that's got me quite excited for it.

It's worth mentioning the game does require a HDD for the Xbox 360 version (or you can use USB sticks, though HDD is recommended) if anyone is stuck with a basic model. There's no exclusive DLC hidden behind paywalls either aside from optional XP boosts, all loot in the game is available to earn which is refreshing for this type of game where you would think in this day and age micro-transactions would be a prominent feature.

There's some major DLC expansions planned for the future too. Defiance really could be a more underground hit of 2013.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    This is an interesting idea, it could be really good, or it could bomb, and what about non US players for the TV show, or is it a web show?
  • SeawolfSeawolf Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Really hope they have improved it since the beta as it was not good - good idea, not well implemented.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an interesting idea, it could be really good, or it could bomb, and what about non US players for the TV show, or is it a web show?

The show is aired in the UK the day after it airs in the US. I'm not sure about other countries though.
    Forum Member
    It's confirmed that Asda broke the street date.

There are 1000's of guns in this game and are all customisable, it's similar to Borderlands in that respect. Here's a really good trailer that explains some of the weapons and environments. [link]
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would buy it but lack of cash prevents me (damn merlin passes)!maybe I'll see if the rental people will lend it too me
    Forum Member
    We could form a DS clan, it allows up to 50 players but it is limited to each platform. I'd be up for that, could be good fun. I won't be picking this game up for a couple of weeks as I'm a bit strapped for cash myself.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'd be up for that !
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any early reviews?
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think ill be getting this so add xbox tag DI sittingduck if you like
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm interested in 'Defiance'. Although I won't be getting it for a few weeks. Spent too much on games already but i'm def getting it :)

I saw an advert for the series that's starting soon. Play the game and watch the series lol :) gonna be good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this game online only?. Can you play offline like Borderlands etc?
    Forum Member
    Yeah I'm interested in 'Defiance'. Although I won't be getting it for a few weeks. Spent too much on games already but i'm def getting it :)

I saw an advert for the series that's starting soon. Play the game and watch the series lol :) gonna be good.

We will definitely play this online together! :)

Reviews should be coming out tomorrow, I don't see how it's possible to fully review games like this since this is something that will evolve over time (they recommend 10gb HDD space on day 1, some large patches/updates included). I don't expect high scores but I don't care. There's something about this game I love the look of.
    Forum Member
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Is this game online only?. Can you play offline like Borderlands etc?

You can play single player but afaik it is online only, you have to connect to their servers for it to work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can play single player but afaik it is online only, you have to connect to their servers for it to work.
    Bugger :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An MMO has been badly needed on consoles. Lets hope it works. No reviews yet
    Forum Member
    Oh well, caved in and picked this up at lunch. HMV weren't even selling it! so it doesn't seem like there's too many copies about. I nearly bought the collectors edition since it looked so cool but at £65 it's too much of a risk in case the game isn't all that great, and might not have much resale value. I settled for the limited edition with some extra weapons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, caved in and picked this up at lunch. HMV weren't even selling it! so it doesn't seem like there's too many copies about. I nearly bought the collectors edition since it looked so cool but at £65 it's too much of a risk in case the game isn't all that great, and might not have much resale value. I settled for the limited edition with some extra weapons.

I was thinking of getting it, but the lack of any review at all anywhere, after its release date is a huge warning sign for me.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    The only review of this I can find is this one

http://www.vgrevolution.com/2013/04/defiance-review-a-small-step-in-the-right-direction/

Might get this at the weekend after I see more reviews, as I agree with speed loafer, lack of reviews is usually a clear indication that the developers aren't confident in their work.