How do I limit when the router/modem is active and can be used

Over the summer my two young ones have cost me an arm and a leg by watching TV and films on the net and downloading films. And I mean an arm and a leg: I have 120gb of data included in my broadband package but in both July and August they exceeded that limit by almost half again and I have had to pay up. I did ask them to slow down a little and they did, but really not enough.

The trouble is that for part of that time I was abroad and otherwise work away from home four days a week so there's no way I can keep things sane as far as broadband is concerned.

I have a Netgear modem and can access through my browser, and I know my way around it a bit, but when I look at the schedule, it seems just to relate to when specified firewall rules are to operate, but I want some way to ensure that the router can only be used when I specify to limit usage a bit.

Does anyone here know their way around Netgears. It doesn't matter which model it is as the browser window is the same. Thanks.

PS I'm with Plusnet

Comments

• pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »

Thanks, that seems what I was after. Seems it's quite a common problem.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    it would cost you a matter of pence to move to an unlimited ISP.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    PS I'm with Plusnet
    Plusnet also allow you to set a download/cost limit on your account.

What devices are you children using to download/stream? Many of them, such as Windows 7, have parental controls.
    flagpole wrote: »
    it would cost you a matter of pence to move to an unlimited ISP.
    Yes, Plusnet just sent me a half-price offer for their unlimited package.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Plusnet also allow you to set a download/cost limit on your account.

What devices are you children using to download/stream? Many of them, such as Windows 7, have parental controls.

Yes, Plusnet just sent me a half-price offer for their unlimited package.

I know about the restriction in Windows 7 and have it in use during term time, but it seemed - seemed - a bit heavy-handed in the holidays. I know Plusnet have a download/cost limit, but I didn't want to go down that route because I would hit as well at the end of the month, and I also have to work from home.

The unlimited package sounds very promising, and I'll look at that. Thanks for that info, too.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of those things that seems like it can be solved by technology but the real solution that will actively work is a culture change.

Speak to your kids and getting them to refrain from excessive downloading should be the way to go IMO (plus, also go unlimited for peace of mind). You can give them a download count software and tell them to monitor themselves and maybe give them a 40GB limit each.

Are you worried at all by their copyright infringement of movies?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Another option is to use OpenDNS.

Their free account is fairly comprehensive, and if you pay $19.99 a year you have extra options available such as logging of what websites your kids are using etc.

You can use it to block access to adult sites, or also social networking, filesharing and other categories.

It can be done individually on your kids PC/laptop (although they could easily get round that, especially if they know how to change the DNS servers back to the ISP defaults) but if you change the DNS settings on your router (they provide instructions for most routers) and set a decent admin password, they then cannot change them and it affects all devices on the network.

But no matter what filtering or control options you choose, there are ways around them if they know what they are doing.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Move up to Plus Net's unlimited service. I had exactly the same issue with one of mine, repeatedly explaining to him how bb is a finitie resource and if he uses it all the rest of us lose out but he wouldn't [or couldn't] grasp it, claiming that streaming doesn't count towards usage, or it's only Youtube so not much etc. Luckily PN seem to keep dropping prices whilst improving speed & d/l limits so we're now on a FTTC with unlimited use for less than it was costing this time last year.

The other alternative is to get them to d/l big stuff after midnight / before 7:00, when it doesn't increment your allowed usage.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem >> kids illegally downloading 100's of movies per month

Solution >> get a bigger monthly allowance so they can steal even more stuff

there's some real comedians here today - what about teaching the kids the difference between buying and stealing?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Mr Dos wrote: »

there's some real comedians here today - what about teaching the kids the difference between buying and stealing?

there's some real comedians here today

Where ?, I didn't spot them.

You can argue all day long about the rights and wrongs of downloading/streaming things that you are not supposed to, for me that is a personal choice ... I don't (apart from the football :)) but the 2 'kids' left in the house will stream an odd movie ... they are not kids any more 17 and 22 so I will let them decide what they want to do on the internet @ my IP address, foolish maybe but I'm not too bothered.
    I also used to be concerned about internet usage when I was restricted to limits, little point or cost saving these days not to be unlimited.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member

Indeed. iPlayer is crammed full of illegal content like New Tricks and football highlights, and YouTube clips of cats falling over shot on phones are quite clearly subject to copyright. Thanks for the parental guidance there Dos.

Ho hum...
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I'm the last person to condone illegal downloads, I'd like to point out the OP never actually said that's what is happening.

I had a 'day in' yesterday as I wasn't feeling well, and I used 9GB of data just watching HD streams on Netflix. I can see how two children could easily run up 180GB in a month.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    My father in law had a 10GB package for himself, which worked out fine as he only did his bills and a bit of surfing. The Grandchildren (2) used it all up plus a load more in a weekend of Xbox games and Minecraft with a couple of films thrown in. He's now on an unlimited package with Plusnet for about half of what he was paying for the BT package...Crazy really, as BT own them...But, it worked out better than restricting the kids and happiness reigns all around...:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

It's not just illegal downloads that eat up any allowance.

I don't download illegally, but I can easily use between 20Gb and 100Gb a month, depending on what I am doing such as Iplayer, 4OD, music streaming, YouTube, updates for the PS3 and it's games, online gaming and such like.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,010
    Forum Member

You're assuming the downloads are 'illegal' - I download 50-60GB of films/TV each month - legally from Sky.

Best to know the facts before rushing to judgement eh?
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair though, many kids (and adults) cheerfully download lots and lots of illegal stuff, films, games, warez, you name it, a lot of people do it.

One of the reasons I gave up on PC servicing was the constant losing battle of mostly teens downloading tons of shite without a care for what they were downloading or any legal or virus implications. Probably because when they trashed the PC poor old mum or dad paid me to fix it. :D
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,010
    Forum Member
    To be fair though, many kids (and adults) cheerfully download lots and lots of illegal stuff, films, games, warez, you name it, a lot of people do it.

One of the reasons I gave up on PC servicing was the constant losing battle of mostly teens downloading tons of shite without a care for what they were downloading or any legal or virus implications. Probably because when they trashed the PC poor old mum or dad paid me to fix it. :D

I agree but it's wrong to assume. I uploaded 60GB of data last month - none of it was seeding torrents.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Where ?, I didn't spot them.

You can argue all day long about the rights and wrongs of downloading/streaming things that you are not supposed to, for me that is a personal choice ... I don't (apart from the football :)) but the 2 'kids' left in the house will stream an odd movie ... they are not kids any more 17 and 22 so I will let them decide what they want to do on the internet @ my IP address, foolish maybe but I'm not too bothered.
    I also used to be concerned about internet usage when I was restricted to limits, little point or cost saving these days not to be unlimited.

You completely miss the point I'm afraid. No matter how old I was, when my parents were alive I would never have run up any bill they were responsible for without first asking their permission - it's called respect.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

Judgemental much?

No where did the OP say they were illegal downloads. that says more about you.

this is a computing forum. so i assumed that the advice the OP was after related to computers. he didn't ask for parenting advice, had we been posting on mumsnet then my interpretation may have been different.
    Forum Member
    It's not just illegal downloads that eat up any allowance.

I don't download illegally, but I can easily use between 20Gb and 100Gb a month, depending on what I am doing such as Iplayer, 4OD, music streaming, YouTube, updates for the PS3 and it's games, online gaming and such like.

Jeez-a-lou, I don't think I use that much in a year. There is life outside your front door you know. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    Judgemental much?

No where did the OP say they were illegal downloads. that says more about you.

this is a computing forum. so i assumed that the advice the OP was after related to computers. he didn't ask for parenting advice, had we been posting on mumsnet then my interpretation may have been different.

Your response explains a great deal - UK 2013!!!!!
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    My father in law had a 10GB package for himself, which worked out fine as he only did his bills and a bit of surfing. The Grandchildren (2) used it all up plus a load more in a weekend of Xbox games and Minecraft with a couple of films thrown in. He's now on an unlimited package with Plusnet for about half of what he was paying for the BT package...Crazy really, as BT own them...But, it worked out better than restricting the kids and happiness reigns all around...:)

Whatever happened to going to the Zoo, the local park, museums, playing board games walks, etc. etc. Just a thought.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Whatever happened to going to the Zoo, the local park, museums, playing board games walks, etc. etc. Just a thought.

do all of that and still use a min of 50GB a month :)
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    You completely miss the point I'm afraid. No matter how old I was, when my parents were alive I would never have run up any bill they were responsible for without first asking their permission - it's called respect.

How are they supose to know when they have reach a limit?

Wow talk about on youre high hourse.
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    do all of that and still use a min of 50GB a month :)

Well with all the reports about overweight unfit children, the amount of time they spend in front of a screen and the dire warnings about their future health then maybe that allowance needs a further trim?

Seriously if I had young kids today I would be alarmed. When I was growing up my parents couldn't keep me in.
This discussion has been closed.