Films that you found unexpectedly emotional? *Possible spoilers*

SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are there any times you watched a movie expecting (or not expecting, perhaps) a certain type of film, but ended up finding it much more emotionally involving than you predicted?

For me, it's Mama. I watched it to kill some time, as I like ghost movies. I just thought it would be a run-of-the-mill horror. Evil ghost kills people, the end.

However, I came away from it feeling totally different to how I thought I would. I found the whole story of the titular Mama really very upsetting and tragic, and the ending where
she and Lily depart
together took me by surprise. I actually found this film to be more of a supernatural drama than a straight-up-horror, and I appreciate it all the more for that. Not many "horror" movies manage to pull the heartstrings.

:)

Comments

• Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Black Swan. Thought it was going to be a drama about ballet and then I got... that. Had no idea of the real premise of the film - although to be fair no one really does until the last 5 minutes. Loved it and was left very affected by it.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Perks of being a wallflower. Never read the book and watched it on whim. Very emotional when what is revealed at the end.

and i agree with Black swan as well
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy Budd & A High Wind In Jamaica
    I didnt expect Billy & the pirates to die at the end
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Sylvain Chomet's animation "The Illusionist", based on a Jacques Tati script, was going to be a comedy, possibly on the bitter-sweet side.
    In the event, I thought it was suicidally depressing

Looks wonderful, though
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    50 first dates :o
  • FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Shallow Hal.......it was deeper than the generic romcom shyt that I expected just to pass a bit of time
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About Time, the most recent Richard Curtis one. It looked like a light rom-com and became something quite beautiful about fathers and sons.

Definitely cried.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Warrior.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It mostly happened when I was a kid:

King Kong (Jessica Lange)
    Thought it was going to be a fun monster film, but ended up feeling desperately sorry for King Kong.

Q: the Winged Serpent
    Same thing. Thought it'd be a fun monster film, but ended up feeling upset when it fell to its death.

Frankenstein (Boris Karloff)
    Yup. Thought it'd be just a monster film, but ended up feeling sorry for the Creature.

Jaws
    Again, thought it would be a fun sea monster film and again, ended up crying over the shark's demise. My reasoning was stupid: I thought it was "very unfair" that humans had limbs and the shark didn't. My childhood brain, it moved in mysterious ways.

Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
    I was more cautious this time, but enjoyed it until the giant got in a fight with a Siberian tiger. His death left me feeling raw.

Now as an adult, I've improved quite a lot, but still feel somewhat sorry for certain 'monsters' (including the one in Alien). Ridiculous, really.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turner and Hooch. Upset the dog got shot, not Tom Hanks.
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Fly - the Cronenberg version. I was expecting the body horror but not the really desperate tone near the end.

Hugo - I didn't really know what this was about before I saw it so the shift to the early cinema stuff in the second half caught me by surprise but it was pretty moving.

Lake Mungo - Expected a found footage horror but got a really tragic and melancholy film that left me feeling pretty awful.

i'm a proper softie when it comes to films though, to be fair.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The shawshank redemption. When brooklyn kills himself it made me raw
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far From The Madding Crowd when Frank gets shot & Bathsheba is trying to wake him up, I knew what was coming but it still cut me up :cry: It was the same when I watched Tess of The D'urbervilles, Thomas Hardy wrote some miserable books:(
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Into Darkness, both the Pike and Kirk you know what scenes.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The shawshank redemption. When brooklyn kills himself it made me raw

Me too.
    For years people told me to have tissues ready for The Green Mile but I never thought it would hit me as hard.

Terminator 2 always used to kill me at the end too.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expected Champions to be emotional at points, but nowhere near what it was.