With no Flash on an iPad, how is video quality on YouTube?

Just wanted to ask about this in here as it seems everyone in the world has a tablet, but I never have, yet.

I was wondering what the playback quality was like for say, a 720p video on YouTube or any other (mainly) flash based site, I ask because I know there is no flash on an iPad, but I understand that there are "apps" for YT, in which case I guess they grab a different (html5?) version of the video?

Perhaps someone could explain, and yes, i know there are many Android tablets that do have 'full flash' installed, but I am specifically curious about how the iPad manages to playback.

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Video quality is perfectly fine on the iPad without Flash. That goes for YouTube and also iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand Five, Sky Go, TVCatchup...

iPlayer and YouTube have apps and also work via the web browser.

TVCatchup has an app, and I think it also works via the web browser.

4oD, Demand Five, Sky Go have apps.

HTML5 (and/or apps) has been taking over from Flash for some time now, hence Adobe killing mobile Flash - it is rarely needed anymore unless you play Flash games or browse sites that have (for some awful reason) been built in Flash.
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to ask about this in here as it seems everyone in the world has a tablet, but I never have, yet.

I was wondering what the playback quality was like for say, a 720p video on YouTube or any other (mainly) flash based site, I ask because I know there is no flash on an iPad, but I understand that there are "apps" for YT, in which case I guess they grab a different (html5?) version of the video?

Perhaps someone could explain, and yes, i know there are many Android tablets that do have 'full flash' installed, but I am specifically curious about how the iPad manages to playback.

No difference in quality. The official YouTube iPad app unfortunately doesn't allow for selection of video quality but third party YouTube apps do. The official app feeds you the highest quality video it senses your connection can handle. Not always ideal or necessary.

I use a third party YouTube app that has no ads and serves up exactly the same videos and searches as the official app and allows for selection of quality up to 1080p, which looks gorgeous on the iPad withRetina screens.