Why is my phone, nearly all smartphones better than my TV?

My TV has 1 advantage.... 3D

My phone

is immersible in water

Has a quicker processor

Access to ALL catchup players

Has cameras

Full HD

Apples TV when announced will blow the Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG... Etc out the water.

Lack of functions on the TV's we have in our homes is staggeringly under used and not enough is embedded to give a better experience as standard.

If I were Sony I'd integrate a PS Eye and PS4 compatibility into the infrastructure of the devices.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

My phone

is immersible in water

Has a quicker processor

Access to ALL catchup players

Has cameras

Full HD

Apples TV when announced will blow the Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG... Etc out the water.

Lack of functions on the TV's we have in our homes is staggeringly under used and not enough is embedded to give a better experience as standard.

If I were Sony I'd integrate a PS Eye and PS4 compatibility into the infrastructure of the devices.

What an utter load of crap :p

A TV isn't a phone - why would you expect it to have phone features?.

Most modern sets are Full HD (and it makes VERY little, or no difference) - and a phone has a pathetically small screen anyway. Catchup TV services are dependent on what the manufacturers and the broadcasters want - and what they arrange between each other.

I've no idea what the actual situation is, but presumably money has to change hands to make it happen - and if they can't negotiate an agreement, then it won't be supported.

Many sets also have cameras in them - although you're hardly carrying your 60 inch TV down the street snapping shots :p But ideal for Skype.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an utter load of crap :p

nothing more needs to be said :D
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have yet to see a phone with a 32in screen or half decent sound.

The thought of controlling my tv with my HTC phone fills me with dread too, the touch screen is terrible. A regular remote is way better.

Cant get freeview cable freesat or sky chs on my phone either. Need a decoder box and aerial or dish.

Does anyone actually playback a film on their phone? On such a small screen, really, + battery wont last, hope your data allowance lets u stream/download that much
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'd like to see Dansky+HD immerse his phone in water.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    i'd like to see Dansky+HD immerse his phone in water.
    Or more fun, try to use it after doing so :D
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

Well you should have bought a decent TV :D

My Tv can acces the internet + cloud, can stop pause rewind fast forward iplayers, i can use Skype on it, its got DLNA http://www.dlna.org/ its HD, i can Game on it, better sound than my phone, better picture than my phone, i can connect a keyboard to it and also a external HD or memory stick etc etc.

You may want to re think youre OP , or was it just a just meant to provoke!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine the circumstances where being able to immerse a TV in water would be a desirable feature.

Nor would I like to see those of us who are happy without Features We Would Never Use being asked to buy TVs beyond the specs we'd need if our add-ons (BD Players, Freeview+ PVRs) give us all the connectivity our little hearts desire.
  • MartinteaMartintea Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    I can't imagine the circumstances where being able to immerse a TV in water would be a desirable feature.
    Well,there was the time we had a pipe burst :D
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many people can watch the phone at once compared with the tv?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Has to be one of the more obvious trolling posts.........The mystery is, why people are feeding the idiot???????????
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Has to be one of the more obvious trolling posts.........The mystery is, why people are feeding the idiot???????????

People are aware of that, hence the tongue in cheek and smiley faces replies
    EG
    Martintea wrote: »
    Well,there was the time we had a pipe burst :D

We are not feeding the Troll we are taking the .... :D
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    People are aware of that, hence the tongue in cheek and smiley faces replies
    EG

We are not feeding the Troll we are taking the .... :D

Not everyone......:;):D:):rolleyes:
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seems a good time to ask this....

With all the Smart functions inbuilt on many new tv's, if you mostly use a box such as Sky, freesat, Cable, freeview, is there any advantage in those built in functions......eg,

Built in Youtube (or other feed)....if your using an external box 99% of the time i guess you wont be able to use such Apps without first switching out of HDMI.

Gesture control....if your using an external box, then you could still use this feature to adjust vol, picture settings etc, but not to change channel - as that would require the decoder box remote. Switching channel using gesture control would simply switch out of HDMI and back to inbuilt freeview.