Sony CMT-MX 750NI

Help please!!!!

Does anyone else have a Sony CMT-MX750NI hifi? If so could anyone help with a problem I have with mine (and have had since it was near new)?

The unit hangs at "Please Wait" in Home Network and Music Services modes. I've tried various methods (powering down and disconnecting from mains and doing a reset) but with no success ...any other suggestions???

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    There's no technical bulletins or software updates listed for that model.
  • AJ007AJ007 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    There's no technical bulletins or software updates listed for that model.

I know that, Nigel.

That's not what I was asking.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How have you got the Sony connected to your router? WiFi or Wired? Is it actually connecting properly?

You may be able to check this by looking at the network settings on the Sony and see if there is an IP address etc being assigned (assuming you are using "Auto" in Network set-up). It may also be possible to go into the set-up of your router and seeing what devices are connected. May not be immediately obvious which is the Sony though.

But if you only have your computer running and only see one connection listed on the router when the Sony should be connected then that implies the Sony isn't seeing your router properly.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    How have you got the Sony connected to your router? WiFi or Wired? Is it actually connecting properly?

You may be able to check this by looking at the network settings on the Sony and see if there is an IP address etc being assigned (assuming you are using "Auto" in Network set-up). It may also be possible to go into the set-up of your router and seeing what devices are connected. May not be immediately obvious which is the Sony though.

But if you only have your computer running and only see one connection listed on the router when the Sony should be connected then that implies the Sony isn't seeing your router properly.

Hi Chris,

I've tried connecting the unit both wirelessly and wired but get the same issue either way. I was using the "Auto" option in "Home Network" set-up.

I've went into the set-up of the router but can't see the Sony hifi, although there are two "Unknowns" on the network.

BTW, after my wife accidently switched the unit off at the wall, it's now flashing "Initialize"..

Any other thoughts, Chris?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If or when it stops flashing at you (dirty b****er :D) then go back into the router set up and see if one of the "unknown" connections disappears if you turn the Sony off and re-appears when you turn it back on.

If it does then chances are the router is at least seeing the Sony. The router will probably show you what IP address it assigns to connected devices. Might be worth checking that the router is correctly assigning different addresses to each device. If you get two devices with the same address that can stop them working properly.

That is assuming those two unknown devices are actually yours and not someone leaching off your connection (I assume you've got WPA security turned on on the WiFi?)
    Forum Member
    If or when it stops flashing at you (dirty b****er :D) then go back into the router set up and see if one of the "unknown" connections disappears if you turn the Sony off and re-appears when you turn it back on.

If it does then chances are the router is at least seeing the Sony. The router will probably show you what IP address it assigns to connected devices. Might be worth checking that the router is correctly assigning different addresses to each device. If you get two devices with the same address that can stop them working properly.

That is assuming those two unknown devices are actually yours and not someone leaching off your connection (I assume you've got WPA security turned on on the WiFi?)

It's now flashing "Initialize"...I've tried pressing various buttons on both the unit and the remote but no change. Is it looking for me to select/press a button or is it actually (trying to) initialize?

Yes I have WPA security turned on.

PS do you want to (or would you prefer to) continue this via pm, email or mob?
    Forum Member
    Don't desert me now, Chris! ;)
    Forum Member
    AJ007 wrote: »
    I know that, Nigel.

Sorry, I wasn't aware you were a Sony service agent?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try switching off at the mains and switching back on (old trick but sometimes works). If it doesn't come back on normally then it's either bricked or it needs some sort of control system reset. Which is outside my knowledge.

If you can get it back and can identify whether it is connecting to the router the only checks I can suggest are the IP address as above and checking to see if the router is blocking access to the internet.

The manual that I read online suggests that it can also play media files from a PC or other network storage. It might be worth trying to set up something like that if possible. If that works but internet based services don't then it suggests the Sony is connected to your home network but is not getting out onto the wider interweb. Which could be the router blocking it. If it doesn't work then you have the problem of figuring out if it's you or the Sony cocking up :)

But not a lot else really that I can think of.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I wasn't aware you were a Sony service agent?.

I'm not but it's one of the first things I checked on their site :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Try switching off at the mains and switching back on (old trick but sometimes works). If it doesn't come back on normally then it's either bricked or it needs some sort of control system reset. Which is outside my knowledge.

If you can get it back and can identify whether it is connecting to the router the only checks I can suggest are the IP address as above and checking to see if the router is blocking access to the internet.

The manual that I read online suggests that it can also play media files from a PC or other network storage. It might be worth trying to set up something like that if possible. If that works but internet based services don't then it suggests the Sony is connected to your home network but is not getting out onto the wider interweb. Which could be the router blocking it. If it doesn't work then you have the problem of figuring out if it's you or the Sony cocking up :)

But not a lot else really that I can think of.

I switched off at mains and switched on again and it's now returned to flashing "Please Wait" instead of "Initialize". Whilst it was switched off, the router still showed two "Unknown" therefore neither is the Sony unit.

Yes the unit can play files etc from other storage units under the "Music Services" mode but both the "Home Network" and "Music Services" are suffering from this problem :(

BTW the router isn't displaying individual IP addresses just what's connected
    Forum Member
    Just a thought...is the unit 802.11n compatible?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought...is the unit 802.11n compatible?:confused:
    Presumably your router is?

It shouldn't matter if the router is set to "auto" mode (sometimes shown in the router config as 802.11b/g/n) as it will automatically set itself to G standard if that is all the Sony can handle. However if you have manually locked the router to N standard then that might be a different matter.
    Forum Member
    I'm not but it's one of the first things I checked on their site :rolleyes:

Checking the customer website and checking the Assist service engineer application are two very different things ;)

You only get software updates on the customer site, and only some of those, but not any technical bulletins.
    Forum Member
    Checking the customer website and checking the Assist service engineer application are two very different things ;)

You only get software updates on the customer site, and only some of those, but not any technical bulletins.

I stand corrected, Nigel but I believe there's been no available updates since early this year, even on there.
    Forum Member
    Presumably your router is?

It shouldn't matter if the router is set to "auto" mode (sometimes shown in the router config as 802.11b/g/n) as it will automatically set itself to G standard if that is all the Sony can handle. However if you have manually locked the router to N standard then that might be a different matter.

Yes Chris, my new router is 802.11n and, from what I can see, it is set to "Auto" mode. I've changed the router to a clearer channel bot no luck :cry:

Would trying the WPS router function make any difference?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WPS is the easy way to set up a WiFi link if both router and the device you are connecting support it (which as far as I can tell the Sony does). That would ensure the WiFi is set up correctly, eg you didn't enter the password incorrectly when doing it manually.

Worth a punt anyway.
    Forum Member
    Tried the WPS option but, as the unit is stilling flashing "Please Wait", no luck :(
    Forum Member
    I stand corrected, Nigel but I believe there's been no available updates since early this year, even on there.

As I said earlier, there's been no updates or technical bulletins at all, of any kind, at any time.
    Forum Member
    As I said earlier, there's been no updates or technical bulletins at all, of any kind, at any time.

And this helps how, Nigel :confused:
    Forum Member
    And this helps how, Nigel :confused:

By confirming that it's not a software update or a known problem, so most likely either a 'fault' or a connection problem.
    Forum Member
    By confirming that it's not a software update or a known problem, so most likely either a 'fault' or a connection problem.

I think we've figued out it's a software fault, Nigel :rolleyes:

Any suggestions?

PS Thanks to ChrisJr for your help ;)