Is "D'ya think I'm sexy" Rod Stewart's biggest selling single?

Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm curious.

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in the UK that would be Sailing.

Elsewhere and overall no idea.
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have guessed at "Sailing" as it was #1 approximately forever. :D
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious.

I don't know about best selling single but definitely his worst one (imo).
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has 2 platinum singles in the USA

do ya Think im sexy and the awful all for one
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And he was so good in the early 70s. A case of fame going to someone's head explains drivel such as this.
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about best selling single but definitely his worst one (imo).

I agree ... I used to like Rod until he released that single .. so crass imo.

I liked You Wear It Well and The First Cut Is The Deepest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQqNUwNNkTo
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised Rod Stewart of all people would release a single titled "D'Ya Think I'm Sexy?" Are there really people around who think Rod Stewart's sexy? :eek: He's about as sexy as the Blue Screen of Death. I think some people need to visit Specsavers :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised Rod Stewart of all people would release a single titled "D'Ya Think I'm Sexy?" Are there really people around who think Rod Stewart's sexy? :eek: He's about as sexy as the Blue Screen of Death. I think some people need to visit Specsavers :D

Yes he is a bit long in the tooth now but when he was younger a lot of women found him sexy. I went to see him in concert when he was younger and he was wearing a tight leotard (it sounds naff now lol) which he ripped to expose a pair of women's silk panties. I was quite surprised because I didn't know he wore women's underwear :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Baz O wrote: »
    I agree ... I used to like Rod until he released that single .. so crass imo.

I liked You Wear It Well and The First Cut Is The Deepest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQqNUwNNkTo

Handbags and Gladrags and Maggie May were fine tracks too :)
    Also I Don't Want to Talk About It is a beautiful song :cry:
    D'Ya Think I'm Sexy is just :eek: Its just so cheesy, I know it was the 70's but did anyone find him sexy even then? :o:)
    Forum Member
    Yes he is a bit long in the tooth now but when he was younger a lot of women found him sexy. I went to see him in concert when he was younger and he was wearing a tight leotard (it sounds naff now lol) which he ripped to expose a pair of women's silk panties. I was quite surprised because I didn't know he wore women's underwear :D

Well I never knew that! :p My mum's in her 60s and she's a fan but I don't think she finds him sexy. I don't think she ever did or if she did she's not saying anything :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    D'Ya Think I'm Sexy is just :eek: Its just so cheesy, I know it was the 70's but did anyone find him sexy even then? :o:)

As I said a lot of women did (not me btw) & he always had an attractive girlfriend on his arm and they were always blonde.

I quite liked Hot Legs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHcjjxYbgNM
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »
    I would have guessed at "Sailing" as it was #1 approximately forever. :D

It was number one in Britain for 4 weeks in 1975 but came back a year later when it was used as the theme tune for a BBC series and went to number 3 iirc. That kind of reissue was quite rare back then.

As for DYTIS there is a body of opinion that Rods foray into Disco set his career back a bit. Never mind though, Rod has had an astonishing career of worldwide chart success and burned the candle at both ends for most of that time( 7 marriages/relationships 8 children) -a true global superstar. Quite a life.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of prominent artists active before and beyond the era had a foray into disco/dancey/electrically uptempo music, Rod's hardly unique on that count.

The late 90s N-Trance cover I guess didn't add to the sales, although no doubt he had a healthy cheque from it.

My favourite of his is Every Beat Of My Heart, but it doesn't seem to be many other else's :o
  • mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Sailing is his biggest seller. No.1 in 1975 and top 10 again in 1976.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another of my favorite songs was "I Don't Want To Talk About It"
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

but the song is a story. It's not Rod literally asking 'Do ya think I'm sexy?' - it's about a guy and girl meeting and spending the night together.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Another of my favorite songs was "I Don't Want To Talk About It"

Thats a lovely song :)
    Didnt he also feature on the theme for the 3 Musketeers film in the 90's 'All For Love', I think, I quite liked that one :o
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maggie May and The Killing of Georgie for me:)
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And he was so good in the early 70s. A case of fame going to someone's head explains drivel such as this.

Yes, there was The Faces stuff and then his early solo works, 'Every Picture..', 'Mandolin Wind', 'Reason to Believe', 'You Wear it Well', 'Gasoline Alley'...I'm not sure exactly where it went wrong but it did.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    )

HATED his version.... it was so weak and lacking soul compared to chris farlowes definitive version. sorry. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3yN0JvG5co
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my fav rod track would be when he was performing as rod!

python lee jackson 'in a broken dream'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyEsgO75bMI

and as rod... 'reason to believe'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJylcQ7CGfI
  • mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Maggie May and The Killing of Georgie for me:)

Maggie May is overplayed these days on the oldies stations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike_dunn wrote: »
    Maggie May is overplayed these days on the oldies stations.

Older woman young boy .... yawn! :yawn:
    Forum Member
    mike_dunn wrote: »
    Sailing is his biggest seller. No.1 in 1975 and top 10 again in 1976.

That song is one of my mum's favourite songs :cool: