New to gaming? What brought you in?

boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
Forum Member
As an oldie who's been gaming since the Aquarius, gaming's in my blood, corny as it sounds, I crave the challenge when I'm working away and mobile gaming is frankly pathetic in comparison to PC/consoles. Mulling over strategies, cursing adversaries, planning racing lines. I'm sure I'm not alone in chomping at the bit when it's been a week since my brain's been pushed in that unique way. Tie up any loose ends, do the social thing, then phone off, headphones on and crack on. Maybe fire BF up and hope that player is online cos the way you had to leave it the other night was just painful. Or stick yourself in whatever universe you want to explore, or hunt that achievement down if you're into that sort of thing.

It's obvious to me what gaming offers that you can't get anywhere else, and now it's becoming more mainstream (still incredibly slooowly) more people are being brought into gaming. With kids it's easy, I'm sure it's all over the playground for the really young ones, especially with mobile, and having a parent who works at a college, I know that game releases mysteriously tie in with mass absences of teenage lads :D It's more the middle aged, new gamers that I'm interested in. So, fire in :)

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boxx wrote: »
    As an oldie who's been gaming since the Aquarius...

Well, I never realised anyone had one of those in the UK! My equivalent was the Commodore Vic20 but even that was my 3rd gaming machine... Anyway, this thread isn't aimed at folk like me so I'll move along, the Aquarius reference just surprised me :D
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I use gaming as a social aspect in my life. I don't "like" real people with their real problems and real lives. If i idnt have xbox I'd probably be implicated in a mass shooting or be sitting in my own faeces surrounded by Michael buble albums and calendars.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mistakenly thought that being able to complete Metal Gear Solid 2 would have gorgeous supermodels fighting with each other to grant me sexual favours.

I think it was having to play as Raiden which scuppered it for me!

(or it could be playing Manic Miner round a friend's....yes...I am that old).
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playing Kung Fu Master and Hyper Sports in my local arcade and chippy. That's were my life started to become frivolous.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I been playing games since a child, which is many many moons ago :o What started it was my babysitter used to let me play on her Astro Wars game and it escalated from there. :D
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Well, I never realised anyone had one of those in the UK! My equivalent was the Commodore Vic20 but even that was my 3rd gaming machine... Anyway, this thread isn't aimed at folk like me so I'll move along, the Aquarius reference just surprised me :D

Yeah my introduction to gaming was Macho Man. Still one of the most frustrating games I've played. Right up there with Blood Money on the Amiga:D
    Not sure how we ended up with it, I'll have to ask my mum at weekend:)
    Well I use gaming as a social aspect in my life. I don't "like" real people with their real problems and real lives. If i idnt have xbox I'd probably be implicated in a mass shooting or be sitting in my own faeces surrounded by Michael buble albums and calendars.
    I only felt concerned when I got to the Michael Buble bit:D:p

jcafcw wrote: »
    I mistakenly thought that being able to complete Metal Gear Solid 2 would have gorgeous supermodels fighting with each other to grant me sexual favours.

I think it was having to play as Raiden which scuppered it for me!

(or it could be playing Manic Miner round a friend's....yes...I am that old).

None of my Half Life speed runs, Diddy Kong time trial results or cool shit I modded into Carmageddon 2 did it for the ladies :/
    Playing Kung Fu Master and Hyper Sports in my local arcade and chippy. That's were my life started to become frivolous.

Lots of trips to Morecambe as a nipper meant lots of 20p pieces fed to one Stun Runner machine, oh, how it loved my 20p's. That, G-LOC, Operation Wolf, TMNT and loads more:D It was awful to play these amazing looking games and go back to home console. The difference at the time was incredible lol
  • GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I use gaming as a social aspect in my life. I don't "like" real people with their real problems and real lives.<snip>.

I have the same views (apart from Michael Buble :eek: ). Real people want you to listen to all sorts of rubbish and then expect you to remember it for future updates. So exhausting :sleep:

I use gaming (PC for me) to be a member of a community with similar tastes, also it's a way for to escape into adventure, excitement, and different worlds. It relaxes me :)
    I only started this addiction with the discovery of Thief: The Dark Project in 1999. That game led to another......and another......
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my comments controversial
    i'm full of wine, so i'm going to whine. lol

I got into gaming
    i'm a veteran... commodore 64 to present day

I've always seen it as a hobby.... entertainment
    something to do in spare time

today, people get millions of views / followers

simply, staying in their bedrooms... streaming themselves playing games (generally sucking at it)

millions of gb, bandwidth being used by streamer plus all watching

Then they ask for money, and say it's what they do for a living

I used to think train spotter's were sad bastard's

I can't believe it

Check some of the streams on Twitch.tv

eg - all the guy's with beard's
    eg
    http://www.twitch.tv/malik_fett/videos

Any one get the sense some of these dudes, struggle to get a girlfriend
    like.... as in real world.... beyond their closed curtains