Gardener's World

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GW usually starts around the first/second week in March.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    devastated Toby article in the Express today, never particularly liked him on Gardener's World but you have got to feel sorry for him at the way the BBC have dropped him in favour of Monty

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/221848/TV-Toby-Buckland-let-down-over-Gardeners-World-axing-
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    devastated Toby article in the Express today, never particularly liked him on Gardener's World but you have got to feel sorry for him at the way the BBC have dropped him in favour of Monty

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/221848/TV-Toby-Buckland-let-down-over-Gardeners-World-axing-

I personally, didn't like the new "Blue Peter" approach to gardening.
    I'd suggest that the original reason for the changes were probably to try to "engage" a wider audience and all sorts of promises would have been made.
    The decision for change, will have likely been made by a "suit" who knew naff-all about gardening and such uninformed decisions are not uncommon.

But it's always the case with the BBC that, "ratings are the one true god."

There's no loyalty, it's "just business."
    So heads had to roll, no doubt the decision makers would be unaffected by the U-turn.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone see the Cottage Garden Programme with Carol Klein?

I thought it was a lovely programme, just right for getting you looking forward to spring. :)

Why can't Carol present GW? Of course, she may not want to, but I wonder if she was even asked.

(Sorry, just seen there is a seperate thread for the programme)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The revamped GW (Top Gear-style) was not Toby or Alys' fault. Blame the men in suits who decided that, after over 30 years of being successful, it had to change.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The revamped GW (Top Gear-style) was not Toby or Alys' fault. Blame the men in suits who decided that, after over 30 years of being successful, it had to change.

Exactly!

How else can these "suits" justify their no doubt "big bucks" employment?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great to see Monty back
  • JellyKateJellyKate Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay, good to see the old team back. I had stopped watching the Toby and Alys format, it was uninteresting - didn't like the Greenacres garden, which wasn't a proper garden, hated the "now I'll plant up a window box in 30 seconds for the bargain price of £50" segments, and couldn't STAND Alys, she was so annoying. Thrilled that she has been given the boot.

Monty's garden looks great. Love the chickens and the dog! :)
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delighted to see Monty back , watching Toby B was painful ., And half an hour is good for me I found the hour a little long and was in danger of dozing off !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Montys garden was amazing even in winter and what about his shed:eek: did you see all those secateurs? my god.

Cannot agree about Carol I think she talks as though shes speaking to a class of 6 year olds all gushing eugh

nice to see Rachel though what a woman looks like shes a devil in the bedroom then would go out and cut the lawn:D
  • HeadancerHeadancer Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    we need at least 1 hour please !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really care who the presenter is as long as they get rid of the froth and stupid segments about 'look at me, I'm a millionaire and my 100 acre garden is great'.

You're going to be disappointed then. Monty's garden whilst not 100 acres is much larger than the gardens of most tv viewers.
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    You're going to be disappointed then. Monty's garden whilst not 100 acres is much larger than the gardens of most tv viewers.

They would be the peasants then ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Thank God we seem to have "proper" Gardeners World back.

Can we have less wandering around though looking at things and saying "how nice it is".
    More practical hands on tips and advice paritcularly with regards to vegetables. If 70% of all seeds sold are veg seeds then let's have more time devoted to vegetables. :)
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "Blue Peter" approach is seemingly working for countryfile.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JellyKate wrote: »
    Monty's garden looks great. Love the chickens and the dog! :)
    And rather touching when he pointed out the stones where two of his dogs were buried. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JellyKate wrote: »
    Yay, good to see the old team back. I had stopped watching the Toby and Alys format, it was uninteresting - didn't like the Greenacres garden, which wasn't a proper garden, hated the "now I'll plant up a window box in 30 seconds for the bargain price of £50" segments, and couldn't STAND Alys, she was so annoying. Thrilled that she has been given the boot.

You're 'thrilled' that someone has lost their job? But, I suppose it is ok 'cos she'll get another one........:rolleyes:
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying GW again quite sad Alys wasn't in it though I think I read somewhere she may get her own show.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a refreshing change to see the presenter in his own garden, tending to it himself without any other presenters. just as Alan Titchmarsh did and The Gun'nor, Geoff Hamilton did before him.
  • ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that people think Rachel de Thame is a good replacement for Alys.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss Alys. She was crazy in exactly the same way as a friend of mine.
  • ricinusricinus Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Well, I've been bored rigid by the first two episodes.
    I agree that the first year with Toby was poor but last year was much better.
    I find Mony really dull. I don't get the impression we are going to see anything new being developed unlike Geoff Hamilton's different gardens and AT's new sections. He's being paid to just do his own garden like he's always done it.
    Carol's pretty good to show us around interesting gardens but I prefer it when she's showing us how to do something practical. And the Joe and Rachel roadshow ?!!? I know they are doing it for our benefit but it looks ridiculous showing an expert gardener how to layer a rose or prune a clematis.
  • eculandereculander Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    I think they should have got rid of Joe Swift and Carol Klein. What a couple of chancers. Useless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ricinus wrote: »
    Well, I've been bored rigid by the first two episodes.
    I agree that the first year with Toby was poor but last year was much better.
    I find Mony really dull. I don't get the impression we are going to see anything new being developed unlike Geoff Hamilton's different gardens and AT's new sections. He's being paid to just do his own garden like he's always done it.
    Carol's pretty good to show us around interesting gardens but I prefer it when she's showing us how to do something practical. And the Joe and Rachel roadshow ?!!? I know they are doing it for our benefit but it looks ridiculous showing an expert gardener how to layer a rose or prune a clematis.

no one is as dull as Toby surely!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This series has been woeful so far.

I much prefer Toby's style.