Progress

David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I signed up we had Carlton Kids, Select and World, the (very) occasional programme on First ONdigital and a wonderful channel called ONdigital (Channel 40) which broadcast nothing at all. There was no teletext of any description, no MTV, no ONsports 1 or 2, no games, no Discovery Kids or Wings and no Sky Sports 2. Does the fact that we all now have most of these (and Philips/Pace people have them all) represent progress? I think it does. To cap that, it seems that ONmail launched today for people with Philips boxes (doesn't that have a familiar ring?). Having a PC with a much faster modem than my set top box, I can't see myself making much use of that - but at least it is coming on stream.
This year will be a pivotal one for the platform. Subscribers can not be expected to wait forever, so ONd must deliver. To some extent they have already done so in that the channel line up is stronger now than it was at launch. The promised new channels and services will strengthen it further. Stuart Prebble has also gone on record as stating that there are further developments in the pipeline, although he would not be drawn on what they were. Could it be that ONdigital has come through its traumatic first year and is now achieving a degree of maturity as a major broadcaster in its own right? My subscription comes up for renewal in three weeks time and I intend to renew - at least so that I can find out if they really do intend to keep their promises. After all, I can always cancel at thirty days' notice if they don't.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I'm pleased that you are happy enough to renew your subscription. I wish I was! I am in a Menu E area and I can get no useful information from OnDigital as to when this situation will improve. I would really prefer to stay with OnDig but the service is just a bit substandard. I will give them until my renewal date and then tnink long and hard before I renew. I don't really want Sky but if I have to....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Waine:
    When I signed up we had Carlton Kids, Select and World, the (very) occasional programme on First ONdigital and a wonderful channel called ONdigital (Channel 40) which broadcast nothing at all. There was no teletext of any description, no MTV, no ONsports 1 or 2, no games, no Discovery Kids or Wings and no Sky Sports 2. Does the fact that we all now have most of these (and Philips/Pace people have them all) represent progress? I think it does. To cap that, it seems that ONmail launched today for people with Philips boxes (doesn't that have a familiar ring?). Having a PC with a much faster modem than my set top box, I can't see myself making much use of that - but at least it is coming on stream.
    This year will be a pivotal one for the platform. Subscribers can not be expected to wait forever, so ONd must deliver. To some extent they have already done so in that the channel line up is stronger now than it was at launch. The promised new channels and services will strengthen it further. Stuart Prebble has also gone on record as stating that there are further developments in the pipeline, although he would not be drawn on what they were. Could it be that ONdigital has come through its traumatic first year and is now achieving a degree of maturity as a major broadcaster in its own right? My subscription comes up for renewal in three weeks time and I intend to renew - at least so that I can find out if they really do intend to keep their promises. After all, I can always cancel at thirty days' notice if they don't.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    you say onmail was released on the 7th march for philips, i have a philips and there is no onmail, could somebody explain this or tell me that he is wrong?
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Philips too. It isn't a channel. You have to send to ONdigital for the keyboard and they do the rest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    OD cant possibly know when your reception menu will change as it is nothing to do with them at all!
    Its all down to the transmission authorities and the government policies on digital transmissions. The digital transmissions are at a lower power output than the analog, as soon as:
    1. there are enough people who are receiving digital transmissions - via OD or otherwise
    2. or within a certain time frame
    - then the situation will be reversed causing a national outcry from all those who cant be bothered to get their aerials seen to who will then be in the position that you are in now :)
    This will result in two things:
    1. You will probably no longer be menu E
    2. There will be a rash of newsgroups slagging off the government, ONdigital, Sky and anyone else they can think of for turning their TVs off :D
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham:
    I'm pleased that you are happy enough to renew your subscription. I wish I was! I am in a Menu E area and I can get no useful information from OnDigital as to when this situation will improve. I would really prefer to stay with OnDig but the service is just a bit substandard. I will give them until my renewal date and then tnink long and hard before I renew. I don't really want Sky but if I have to....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I have to admit ONdigital have made alot of progress over the last few months....

Except the games we were supposed to have had in September!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I haven't heard anyone say this yet so I will.

The new games are featured in the April edition of the ON magazine. They look OK. The article seemed to suggest that they would lauch on either 1st of April or 3rd of April.

These are both dates given as rumours as when ONrequest will lauch.

Perhaps we are close to something at last.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    How come I always seem to be the last one to get the mag!
  • MartinMartin Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YOU'RE KIDDING. GAMES NEWS IN THE GUIDE AND NO ONE HAS SAID!!!!!!

Well I still haven't got mine. How do they distribute the guide? I seem to get mine about 4-5 days before the month end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    For the first 3 months I didn't even get my mag!!

I used to get my mag on the first of the month or a day before. But this month I got it last Thurday! I don't know why

PS I live in London, if that's anything
  • antisocialbeefantisocialbeef Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    If OnDigital was still in existance today, I bet that the latest generation boxes would probably support catch up TV services, but OnDigital would probably be very slow at making progress in enabling all of the terrestrial broadcaster's catch up services on it's boxes! :rolleyes: We would probably get BBC iPlayer available on OnDigital boxes one year, ITV Player two years afterwards, and it would probably be 6 or 7 years after that before we then got 4oD and Demand 5 available on the OnDigital boxes! :rolleyes:
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for digging up a 13 year old thread to share that thought with us... :rolleyes:
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a real eye opener to see my name quoted as the originator of a thread I started thirteen years ago, and have long since forgotten about.

I think long dead platforms should be left to lie, don't you?
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone with authority, PLEASE, PLEASE close this thread. I was a teenager when this was opened in 2000. Now i'm almost 30. This thread needs to be taken off, or deleated.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If OnDigital was still in existance today, I bet that the latest generation boxes would probably support catch up TV services, but OnDigital would probably be very slow at making progress in enabling all of the terrestrial broadcaster's catch up services on it's boxes! :rolleyes: We would probably get BBC iPlayer available on OnDigital boxes one year, ITV Player two years afterwards, and it would probably be 6 or 7 years after that before we then got 4oD and Demand 5 available on the OnDigital boxes! :rolleyes:

God! What is the bleedin' point in replying to this? :mad: Haven't you got anything better to do, rather than suddenly, 13 years later, reply to a thread that no-one has replied to in years? Just let it lie, and have done with it. :mad:
  • Nick_WNick_W Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    God! What is the bleedin' point in replying to this? :mad: Haven't you got anything better to do, rather than suddenly, 13 years later, reply to a thread that no-one has replied to in years? Just let it lie, and have done with it. :mad:

Er, why not stop replying to it then (like I just have) ;)