Wall mounting a LCD over a radiator??

Is it ok to put a LCD over a radiator or not? As I presume that the heat would distort or damage the TV?

Also the wife moaning about having wires all over the place, don't blame her as we have 2 young children. Is there a feasible way round it? As well as hiding the dvd recorder (guess have to put that on a unit or summat, though the whole point of LCD is to reduce the space)

Any help/advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have much knowledge of LCD sets, but I'd be disinclined to mount anything electronic above a radiator - it might seem fine short term, but I'd bet it would force premature component failure. As for your cabling problem, the only suggestion I can make is to look at using conduit which I'd run from the middle bottom of the screen right down to floor level before then running them horizontally to their destination. You can still see conduit, but its tidy and you can paint over it to match the wall. Perhaps the lure of a colour change (colour choice by your missus) might make your other half a bit more accepting of your new purchase.

Good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that.

Sorry for appearing naive - I presume that a conduit is a plastic tube and buy them from any diy store?
  • DinoDino Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The large-format LCD panels I've seen run fairly warm. Provided that you don't mount the TV directly above the radiator, I can't see you having any problems.

To give you some inidication how warm large screens run, esp. plasmas, I'm working in a room with a single 63" plasma and about 20 LCD screens of varying sizes, along with about 10 PC's. The radiator is broken in the room; the room is heated solely from the heat coming off the screens, output from the PC's! We're currently at 22.1 degrees celcius in here at the moment!

If you are worried, use a thermometer to measure the temperature. If it's only a few degrees above room temperature at the point where the base of the TV is going to be mounted, you won't have any problems.

Conduits can be bought in various sizes from any hardware store; you can get self-adhesive ones as well that are a doddle to use. My wife's uncle did something quite clever and covered his in matching wallpaper before mounting them; looks suprisingly good, though I guess that depends upon your wallpaper.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Pardsme wrote:
    Is it ok to put a LCD over a radiator or not? As I presume that the heat would distort or damage the TV?

Also the wife moaning about having wires all over the place, don't blame her as we have 2 young children. Is there a feasible way round it? As well as hiding the dvd recorder (guess have to put that on a unit or summat, though the whole point of LCD is to reduce the space)

Any help/advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

You've been posting this query elsewhere, haven't you?? LOL say no more - nudge nudge.
    ;)
    Forum Member
    Well it best to get a wider perspective :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCD TVs do, indeed, run quite warm. My 40" Samsung gets hotter than my 36" CRT Toshiba did. Power consumption is 275W.

If you want to mount the TV above a radiator, how about fitting a narrow shelf above the rad., to deflect the heat?

Conduit is, as you guessed, plastic tubing, normally used for burying mains wiring beneath the plaster, or thicker plastic/metal tubing for exposed wiring.

You can also buy trunking, which has a removable cover. A "U" shaped plastic channel is screwed to the wall, the wires laid in, and a plastic cover snapped over the top.

Wall mounting only really looks good if the cables are buried in the wall. If the wall is stud and plasterboard, this is very simple. A couple of holes, and you thread the wires inside the wall.
    For solid walls, you need to cut a channel, fit a metal box top and bottom, run a piece of large conduit (or waste pipe) between the two, then plaster over the top.

Since you need a stand for your DVD, hifi, etc, you might as well put your telly on top of that.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that.

I picked up the Panasonic TX32LXD52 on Sunday and have to say very pleased with it. Excellent picture quality.

Though what is the viewing distance that you should be seated to watch a 32" widescreen lcd? As while watching TV last night, had a headache but already kinda had one and was trying to sort out the correct TV aspects as well and hope it was from that and not the TV!?
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for not getting back to you before, I've been otherwise engaged at work. I looked at your new TV over the weekend - lovely picture and quite a nice looking set too (even Mrs Controller liked it!).

As far as your question about viewing distance, I would only say that you should sit where it feels comfortable to watch. Your headache may simply be due to your eyes adjusting to the brightness and good contrast of a brand new TV. I remember when the Sony WEGA CRT sets were first launched we had a few people ask if they could return them as they were giving them headaches - took us a while to latch on, but we advised turning the contrast down a wee fraction for the first few days and gradually upping it to the preferred level. Might not be this, but worth a try.

Hope you enjoy your new TV. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Pardsme wrote:

Would it be possible to put a radiator shelf over the top of the radiator?
    This would deflect most of the heat forward and away from the LCD screen.