A little survey on how you use google

totalwisetotalwise Posts: 1,418
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'd like to get an understanding of how other users use google. I have a website and I'm fascinated by the bizzare and complex way that a lot of people search for stuff to land on my website.

I want to get a feel as to how others search for stuff. I'll play a scenario and I'd like you to respond to the thread with a few ways that you might want to find the solution for this online.

Please.. do not read other people's answers at all. Just read the sceario below and respond with your answer at the bottom of the thread. make your mind up BEFORE scrolling down so your responses aren;t affect by other people.s

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Scenario^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You own a laptop model Samsung DL5a.

You noticed the battery life on your laptop
has gone shorter. You had the laptop for 2
years. In the past you could get 5 hours
on your battery. Now you only get 2 hours
on your battery, which doesn't leave you
which much time to do any work.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Respond with your google search query below with answers as to how you will search for the solution.

Thanks

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd try a deep discharge and recharge. If that didn't fix the problem then I'd assume that the battery has reached its end of life, see if the part number was marked on the battery, if not then go to Samsung's web site and try to discover the battery's part number, and if successful then try various online retailers to see if anyone sells a replacement cheaper than Samsung. If none of the well-known retailers listed it, then I'd try a search in Google for the words Samsung and battery followed by the part number. I wouldn't include a filter for .co.uk because many uk companies now use a TLD of .com.

I'm not claiming that's the best approach, merely how I'd do it.

HTH
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    samsung dla5 poor battery life

If I thought the problem was specific to that exact model, I'd use:
    samsung +dla5 poor battery life

I tend to start with a simple query and if that doesn't yield appropriate results, I'd get more specific.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, I'd go for
    Samsung DL5a battery

Given the solution will be to buy a new battery, you might as well look at Google Shopping results
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    replacement battery Samsung DL5a
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is the natural life progression of typical Laptop batteries. Quality batteries should last longer than cheapo ones, and different types of batteries vary. Whatever the case capacity decreases over time to varying degrees.
    There are some measures you can take to possibly improve the failing capacity depending on their type of contruction. There are a lot of variables.

Should anyone Google for an answer results can be very misleading because in many cases the Google results are coming from people who also Googled not from their personal knowledge or expertise.

Thus most Googled for answers are flawed and sorting the wheat from the chaff is not easy. You really need to know the answer in the first place to set up your Google search with the 'right' significant words.

Websites also 'tag' themselves in order to catch Googlers and other measures to bias search engine results to their particular website. Is that what you are trying to do....

Thus my first Google search would be rather general until finding significant more important words to put in a subsequent Google search to get hopefully more relevent results.

Because I know your scenario in the first place I would not do the first Google search, moving to on to stage 2 and possibly stage 3 with much more relevent words.

That should result in good relevent answers, not a plethora of dross.

Thus Google searching words would be something like "Laptop + battery + quality + capacity + decrease + life"

Or if Samsung model specific battery you wanted to buy you would use very different significant words.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would of course try plenty because asking on the web for PC advice will cause a huge amount of rubbish from people who know zilch and people who deliberately try to muck others up. With expereience it becomes fairly easy to dump the dross.

First search would be laptop battery life
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Battery life Samsung DL5a

I like to keep it simple :)
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP your sample is highly biased.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Battery life Samsung DL5a

I like to keep it simple :)

yep, me too and then add stuff on if I need to.

I would also not be using Google.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    yep, me too and then add stuff on if I need to.

I would also not be using Google.

Why not google noise...you got that tin foil hat on again you naughty boy.
  • tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google used to be my best friend. The only way to get a relatively high scoring result for your site these days I reckon is to pay for adwords

I really am starting to dislike google and its lack of "normal" websites in their results
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I'd look in Amazon but if I was using Google I'd put exactly the same in, which is: samsung dl5a battery.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Why not google noise...you got that tin foil hat on again you naughty boy.

I just prefer duck duck go, it give me the results I want. if I was wearing a tin foil hat as you like to make out I am, then why the hell would I get a Android phone which is a Os produced by Google?