Working out how many miles per gallon my car does

Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I want to work out how many miles per gallon my car does, but it all feels a bit difficult cos of getting petrol in litres, and my being rubbish at any sort of conversions.

Is there any sort of forumula or online calculator thingy which I could use to help me?

Many thanks and apologies for stupid question.

Miss P

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duno but there is 4.54 L in a gallon so I work it out that way.

lets say 6 litres gives me 130 miles

130/6 = 21.66miles per litre
    21.66*4.54 =98.33 miles per gallon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duplicate
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,588
    Forum Member
    lostsworld wrote: »
    6 litres gives me 130 miles

130/6 = 21.66miles per litre
    21.66*4.54 =98.33 miles per gallon

98.33 mpg :eek: :eek: :eek: what do you drive, a lawnmower?
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a milometer you can clock on your car? If so, set it to zero, then drive until it's time to fill up again.

Then take the number of miles showing, ie 250 and divide it by the number of litres you have just put into the car ie 30 litres

So 250/30 = 8.33. That's the number of miles you get to the litre.

To find out per gallon, multiply the 8.33 x 4.54 = 37.83 mpg. :)
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AmjidS wrote: »

Wow! I could only dream of that! I'm averaging less than 20 at the moment ;(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AmjidS wrote: »

Pretty close lol

A 125cc motorcycle, i'll get 98 if I ride like miss daisy.
  • Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is v good but then I want to work out how much each mile costs me for fuel, how do I do that?

I am stupid with sums, so sorry!

Miss P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,588
    Forum Member

Mine is not much better...around 23mpg..luckily my car works it for me...have two counters, one that I have not reset since I got the car, so that gives me the mpg since new..the other counter I reset every now and again just to see what the mpg was for a particular trip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss Poppy wrote: »
    this is v good but then I want to work out how much each mile costs me for fuel, how do I do that?

Miss P

working on my fuel consumption

i'm getting 21.66mile per litre

Petrol near me is £1.03 per litre

1.03 / 21.66 = 0.047 so you could say it costs me 5p per mile if i ride slow.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Miss P
    It's quite simple.

Like above zero your mileometer when you fill up. Fill the tank to the brim then drive around a bit and note down the milage you've covered.

Then fill the tank to the brim again and note how much you spent. Divide the cost of fuel by the number of miles.

For instance. If you do 300 miles and spend 30 quid refilling the tank then you have spent

30/300 = 10p per mile (I wish :D ) on fuel

No need to convert litres into gallons or any of that nonesense if you just want to work out cost per mile.
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Miss P

Or you can work out your MPG as described above, then just type it into this website: http://car.choozer.co.uk/tripcalc.php

I try not to do these kinds of sums, because I never like the answers! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Wait till your petrol warning comes on,
    reset the odometer to zero,
    put 18 litres of petrol in.
    wait till the petrol warning comes on.
    read the odometer.
    the mileage is for 18 litres (4 gallons) of petrol.
    For instance if you travelled 200 miles, then 200 divided by 4 gives m/gallon.
    Or 200 divided by 18 gives M/Litre.
    Take the price you paid for the fuel, ie £20.
    divide the distance by the price, ie 200miles/£20 gives 10 miles per pound.
  • systemcvsystemcv Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Useful website for converting things to other things

http://www.onlineconversion.com/
  • Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I thought fiddling with the odometer thingy was something you weren't meant to do - don't you lose the true mileage if you do that? I thought fiddling with the clock was something dodgy used car salesmen did.

Sorry again to be dim!
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just so you know.. it really depends on your speed and whether it's stop-start (Urban) or motorway driving.

Just in-case your trying to work it out, to bill someone (ie. an employer) for cost of you using your car, the recommended charge is 40p a mile (average cost-per mile of running a car, from the AA, with everything taken into consideration)

Thing is, I'm imagining your driving either a sports car or a Land Rover.. either way, show-off self inflictedness ;)

I get 48mpg (Urban) and it's higher motorway :)
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google has a conversion facility.

For example, just type in 40 litres in Imperial Gallons and it'll give you the answer. It's necessary to specify Imperial gallons because the US gallon is smaller.

Typing 40 litres in UK Gallons also does the job.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I thought fiddling with the odometer thingy was something you weren't meant to do - don't you lose the true mileage if you do that? I thought fiddling with the clock was something dodgy used car salesmen did.

Sorry again to be dim!

I didn't mean the milometer! There is normally a little button underneath with a separate reading, to enable you to do just what you need :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member