New Freeview box chops off around 1/3 of image

Hi. Is anyone familiar with this Freeview box issue? I got a new box today after my DVD recorder broke. Problem is, most channels have approximately 1/3 of the image cut off the left and right sides (BBC1 and Ch4 only cut around 1/20 off). The image that remains is slightly pixelated, as though it's being zoomed in on. When I use the box's remote to zoom out, it reveals the whole correct image, so I know that it is there (when using zoom, though, the image is surrounded by black on all sides, two zoom 'graphics' are visible and all other remote functions are disabled, so it's not really a practical alternative for watching TV with). The TV 'screen toggle' option doesn't correct things either, it only allows me to zoom in further or switch between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios (the 4:3 ratio doesn't incorporate the missing portion of the image).

The images aren't altered when watching films through the box's USB port.

So, does anyone know if there's any way of overcoming this problem? Is it a common thing with Freeview boxes? I may just return the box, but I wondered if there was a corrective I'd just not considered.

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Can you please tell us the make and model so that other people who've had the same box can share their experiences? It might also be helpful to know where you bought the box and what type of features you'd want in any replacement box, e.g. HD, IPTV, etc. Thanks.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it a widescreen 16:9 TV?

You used to get these mismatches viewing Freeview on old 4:3 sets, but you shouldn't with a widescreen.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    It sounds like you have the box set to the wrong aspect ratio in it's setup menus - what did you select when you installed it?, and what is your TV type?.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does your TV have the facility to change the aspect ratio?

I sometimes have to change it from "auto" to other settings when watching some recordings on my Humax PVR
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you please tell us the make and model so that other people who've had the same box can share their experiences? It might also be helpful to know where you bought the box and what type of features you'd want in any replacement box, e.g. HD, IPTV, etc. Thanks.
    Here it is: http://www.maplin.co.uk/digital-freeview-receiver-222772
    All I was after was a box to watch TV with, since my old Freeview box/DVD recorder blew up a few days ago. My TV, despite supposedly being HD ready and digital, stopped being able to receive a few years ago, but that's another issue.
    emptybox wrote: »
    Is it a widescreen 16:9 TV?

You used to get these mismatches viewing Freeview on old 4:3 sets, but you shouldn't with a widescreen.
    Yep. And it showed the images fine when played through the previous Freeview box.
    It sounds like you have the box set to the wrong aspect ratio in it's setup menus - what did you select when you installed it?, and what is your TV type?.
    It's a very basic set-up. You turn it on and the TV switches to Scart, then the only option is to select language and the press 'okay' to tune. There doesn't seem to be any further option on the remote.
    Does your TV have the facility to change the aspect ratio?

I sometimes have to change it from "auto" to other settings when watching some recordings on my Humax PVR
    Yes, but when I change it on the TV it retains the cropped image shown through the box.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lombard wrote: »

It's a very basic set-up. You turn it on and the TV switches to Scart, then the only option is to select language and the press 'okay' to tune. There doesn't seem to be any further option on the remote.

Yes, but when I change it on the TV it retains the cropped image shown through the box.

Aspect ratio output of the box can be changed
    See page E-18 here
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/pdfs/A75HQ%20Instruction%20manual.pdf

"• Aspect Ratio (Change between; 16:9 “Widescreen”, 4:3 Panscan, 4:3 LetterBox) "

The menu options available seem fairly comprehensive for such an inexpensive box
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member

The setup options, as with all boxes, are on the setup or install menu - and will be explained in the instructions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The setup options, as with all boxes, are on the setup or install menu - and will be explained in the instructions.

Has the OP actually bothered to RTFM:D:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Has the OP actually bothered to RTFM:D:rolleyes:

Since there's NFM, that would be a no. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since there's NFM, that would be a no. :rolleyes:

There is a link (under Downloads) on the Maplin site(which you gave) for a manual which I posted in post 7
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you manage to sort it?