Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wasn't shot, his pacemaker blew up.

Ahhhh. Thank you, that explains that... sorry for being so thick lol
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    There is actually going to be a Simpsons Movie reference in one of the early episodes

Brilliant :D. Looking forward to that :D. Thanks. :cool:
  • who-mewho-me Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the show. Was expecting the 'piolot' to be a double 90 min episode for some reason. The book is my fave King novel I've read it twice so am really curious how they've adapted it for the screen. Must say I thought Ms Shumway would be older. But it was a great start.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    I suppose it will screen on c5 when it's over on CBS- don't see why CBS can't do us a favour and screen it here:(
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    I'd say hold off reading the book and avoid any "but in the book wah wah wah" posts which will no doubt follow every ep.

Can't say I have ever personally posted a 'wah wah wah' post but might read the book as it goes along.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say I have ever personally posted a 'wah wah wah' post but might read the book as it goes along.

:D

But if you do that don't you run the risk of having stuff spoiled if the show-makers have mixed up the order of things.

btw: I admit there ARE many-many nice book readers :), it's just the ones who don't hide their book revelations behind the
    thing, well they're more memorable. :mad:
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    moonlily wrote: »
    ...don't see why CBS can't do us a favour and screen it here:(

Because CBS wouldn't make nearly as much money airing it on a little channel in the UK as it made selling it to a big UK channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, any theories as to what the hell the Dome is and where it came from?

Could a solar flare have anything to do with the Dome?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    So, any theories as to what the hell the Dome is and where it came from?

Could a solar flare have anything to do with the Dome?

First of all, as stated in the opening post of this thread.. "BOOK SPOILERS ARE NOT ALLOWED AT ALL"

^^
    Just a heads up for anyone who will reply and say "well its not.." "lets just say its.." etc etc..

Hmm, Government will be involved somehow, surely ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    First of all, as stated in the opening post of this thread.. "BOOK SPOILERS ARE NOT ALLOWED AT ALL"

^^
    Just a heads up for anyone who will reply and say "well its not.." "lets just say its.." etc etc..

Hmm, Government will be involved somehow, surely ?

Yeah, that's what the Nerdy Farm Kid said. But Barbie dismissed it with a good, simple reply:

Barbie: Can't be the government.
    Nerdy Farm Kid: Why not?
    Barbie: 'Cause it works.
    :D

Seems like a hint to me from the writers that the secret behind the Dome is beyond the government's grasp. Maybe something from outer space.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thinking:

The trucks bringing in all that... was it oil, or petrol... well whatever they SAID it was I thinking it's some kinda toxic waste. It's being badly stored and the place will explode and devastate the country. Aliens who can see the future, know this will happen and have thus (rather than send them a little warning message) put up this impenetrable dome over the area which will contain the soon-to-becoming explosion. Methinks in the next ep they'll find out the dome has as its centre the storage place. QED. :)

The thing with the dome going thru the cow and that lady's arm points to the specific dimensions of it being important
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked this. I haven't read the book, but I've been planning on buying some Stephen King books for a while now. :)

Poor cow. :eek: :(:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    I'm thinking:

The trucks bringing in all that... was it oil, or petrol... well whatever they SAID it was I thinking it's some kinda toxic waste. It's being badly stored and the place will explode and devastate the country. Aliens who can see the future, know this will happen and have thus (rather than send them a little warning message) put up this impenetrable dome over the area which will contain the soon-to-becoming explosion. Methinks in the next ep they'll find out the dome has as its centre the storage place. QED. :)

The thing with the dome going thru the cow and that lady's arm points to the specific dimensions of it being important

Yeah, they said it was propane if I remember correctly.

Interesting theory that the Dome is there to avert a future disaster. I like it :cool:. I can certainly see aliens being involved, especially if the Dome originated from space as I believe it to be.

Also, separate point, but if this show does go on for multiple seasons... could more Domes appear across the globe? Would be a good way to extend the story I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More Domes ?! .......... :scratcheschin: interesting. :) - or howzabout a shrinking dome or expanding dome.

Guess the question we should be asking is: is the dome there to keep badness IN or to keep badness OUT :eek: - also, is the dome impervious, cos if not won't the air run out eventually - maybe if the series gets cancelled then the last ep will give us a time jump to X years in the future where everyone inside has died of suffocation. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, yes, an expanding dome did cross my mind too :D. I can see an expanding dome coming into effect in Season 3 and then more Domes appearing around Season 5. This should keep things interesting and keep viewers on their toes.
    I'm sure the writers have considered all of this if their intention really is to create multiple seasons.

Yes, that's a very good question, zwixxx. The great thing is - it could be written either way. Going back to your theory, maybe the aliens or whoever sent the dome down predicted that the world would be destroyed by some future catastrophe and realising that they have no chance of stopping this apocalypse - they decided to preserve a small piece of land on earth in order to preserve humanity. Maybe the disaster will happen OUTSIDE of the Dome rather than INSIDE of the Dome as your original theory explained. So essentially, the Dome is like a protective forcefield.

You know, I can imagine the ending of the series being that everybody dies of suffocation inside the Dome :D. Stephen King does like his bleak endings after all :D.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Yes, that's a very good question, zwixxx. The great thing is - it could be written either way. Going back to your theory, maybe the aliens or whoever sent the dome down predicted that the world would be destroyed by some future catastrophe and realising that they have no chance of stopping this apocalypse - they decided to preserve a small piece of land on earth in order to preserve humanity. Maybe the disaster will happen OUTSIDE of the Dome rather than INSIDE of the Dome as your original theory explained. So essentially, the Dome is like a protective forcefield.

You know, I can imagine the ending of the series being that everybody dies of suffocation inside the Dome :D. Stephen King does like his bleak endings after all :D.

I'm hoping this is what happens, that aliens are saving as much of the earth as they can from a disaster they know is going to happen. But sadly they can only create the dome the size it is now.

I'm also hoping someone realises they are in a self contained dome and will need to be self sustainable in air, food and water. As long as they have enough plants to replenish the oxygen, they should be alright.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Dome is a "preservation" thing, then maybe it's been made by someone/something INSIDE the dome, so one of the people we've ALREADY seen is actually an Alien in disguise. Would need to rewatch the ep, but maybe it isn't a dome... it's a sphere - with the creator being at the centre.

OR (edging my bets here) the sphere has something to do with time travel - it being a prelim to a future arrival of a traveller. Problem with time travel (well one of them) being you might end up rematerialising inside a brick wall or mountain. So first send a sphere, empty the sphere of its contents, then set off on your time travelling journey. Granted this theory has a couple of flaws. :D
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked this. I haven't read the book, but I've been planning on buying some Stephen King books for a while now. :)

Poor cow. :eek: :(:o

Obviously can't get involved with speculation, thats going on around here, because I've read the book, but I'll comment here.

Don't buy this book (good though it is), buy The Shining or The Stand, two of the best books I've ever read:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping this is what happens, that aliens are saving as much of the earth as they can from a disaster they know is going to happen. But sadly they can only create the dome the size it is now.

I'm also hoping someone realises they are in a self contained dome and will need to be self sustainable in air, food and water. As long as they have enough plants to replenish the oxygen, they should be alright.

Or another way of looking at it... maybe the aliens are trying to terraform Earth using the Dome? It could be that they want to INVADE earth rather than save it from a disaster. We still know next to nothing about the Dome - but maybe it has terraforming properties?
    That's of course if aliens really are involved :D. Look at us getting carried away :D.

The thing I really like about the concept of the show is that it's basically a post-apocalyptic story set in a self-contained world, which is pretty cool. The people under the dome are sort of living in their own little "pocket universe".

Whatever the answers are behind the Dome, it's sure fun speculating about it :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of the sphere, saves them digging deep and getting out, unless it can just grow downwards regardless.

Funny how everyone mentions about the oxygen, weird how the first thought that goes through your head is they are going to run out of it :)

Love the post about the Simpsons reference.

One question, to save me rewatching what is it they say after they have a bit of a seizure? Something about stars falling?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One question, to save me rewatching what is it they say after they have a bit of a seizure? Something about stars falling?

The Pink Stars are falling in Lines (may not be exact).

Edit
    It's "The Pink Stars are falling. The Pink Stars are falling in lines".

Though Joe may have missed out the first Pink when he said it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    The Pink Stars are falling in Lines (may not be exact).

Thank you!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Obviously can't get involved with speculation, thats going on around here, because I've read the book, but I'll comment here.

Don't buy this book (good though it is), buy The Shining or The Stand, two of the best books I've ever read:)

Agree with the above, any of his early stiff is worth a read, but I was totally engrossed in 22/11/63. Brilliant, hoping that book gets picked up. Read Under The Dome on holiday a few summers ago but 22/11 far better.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    griolfc wrote: »
    Agree with the above, any of his early stiff is worth a read, but I was totally engrossed in 22/11/63. Brilliant, hoping that book gets picked up. Read Under The Dome on holiday a few summers ago but 22/11 far better.

Not sure if you know or not but JJ Abrams Bad Robot were/are in talks to adapt 11/22/63 to TV.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    griolfc wrote: »

It's 11/22/63, not 22/11/63. :D And I checked amazon.co.uk to verify that the book wasn't released in the UK with the title altered to conform to UK way of representing dates. It wasn't. :)

As for that book being turned into a TV series, JJ Abrams' company Bad Robot got the rights to it and they were supposedly shopping the project around to different TV channels. We'll see if anything comes of that.