When a stranger callls

mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
Forum Member
Anyone see the remake on channel five earlier this week. Another remake which wasn't a patch on the original. As i remember the original dealt with a babysitter receiving threatening phone calls and ended up with the killer disguising himself as part of the house. He blended in with the wallpaper. Clever thriller. Must get it on dvd.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Anyone see the remake on channel five earlier this week. Another remake which wasn't a patch on the original. As i remember the original dealt with a babysitter receiving threatening phone calls and ended up with the killer disguising himself as part of the house. He blended in with the wallpaper. Clever thriller. Must get it on dvd.

well its £6 on amazon..i think i gonna record it if its on in the week
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    well its £6 on amazon..i think i gonna record it if its on in the week

Reviews of the original say great first 20 minutes but rest is rubbish.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah you're thinking of the sequel when a stranger calls back, the original
    ends with him in her bed
    Forum Member
    PJ68 wrote: »
    ah you're thinking of the sequel when a stranger calls back, the original
    ends with him in her bed

Ah theres a sequel..didnt realise..thanks
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    The remake was absolutely pitiful - one of the worst so-called horror films I've seen in ages. Nothing happens!

I'd like to check out the original, but it looks like it's out of print as it's going for silly money on Amazon.
    Forum Member
    when a stranger calls back is only available from abroad. Pretty expensive. Loved the bit where he hid in the wallpaper,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Good idea of a film but the remake came across as meh.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I liked it but then I've not seen the original.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when a stranger calls back is only available from abroad. Pretty expensive.

It is on Youtube, i watched it last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Vxl6iAMZs

The middle gets slated on the net but i do not think there was anything wrong with it. Good film, i would be lying if i said i did not get the shivers a couple of times especially at 0:20:43 but one question i have, when the couple were in the restaurant at about 1:20:00 how did he know they were there?.
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand the criticism of the original. The beginning is great and it would make a brilliant short film but it feels like a completely different film after that - it's all a bit laboured and the ending feels tacked on. I haven't seen the remake though.
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    when a stranger calls back is only available from abroad. Pretty expensive. Loved the bit where he hid in the wallpaper,

No its not:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-A-Stranger-Calls-DVD/dp/B00004T11L/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1367923402&sr=8-3&keywords=when+a+stranger+calls
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,308
    Forum Member

Actually this is a remake which I thought was good. Okay the house and gardens are a bit OTT. The scene where the police take the killer away in the car, that long stare, waxy look about him is creepy.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister has this film on DVD. I think it's quite scary and Im not really a fan of these films.