BT may acquire Top Up TV?

tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.a516digital.com/2013/03/snippets-digital-tv-reports-in-brief.html
There are rumours circulating that BT may acquire Top Up TV and its subscriber base ahead of the launch of its new sports service in the summer, retaining a 3-channel pay TV sports service on digital terrestrial TV.

Interesting if it happens.

Comments

• VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »

It would make sense actually. As they are both IPTV services. And with the offer of a shiney new YouView HD box, not many TUTV users would say no. So if it does happen it wouldn't be a surprise.
  • Neville_BreakspNeville_Breaksp Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    looks like good news to safeguard jobs at top up tv top up tv looks like it is owned by channel 5 and access industries i thought there sports channels controlled by bt were under threat but it looks like things have possibly changed and bt will continue to supply ss1 and ss2 on dtt
  • DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be sensible for BT to buy Premier Sports / Setanta, now they have no Premier League football - they would be dirt cheap, and have a loyal subscriber base.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delenn wrote: »
    I think it would be sensible for BT to buy Premier Sports / Setanta, now they have no Premier League football - they would be dirt cheap, and have a loyal subscriber base.

Or a carriage deal. And BT have also been talking to Box Nation, too.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    If the article/rumour is true, it looks like BT is being extremely serious about making a significant impact on the market. All these purchases etc are just laying down the foundations for something big in the future. I honestly think Sky should be concerned about the prospect of BT becoming a true competitor some time in the near future.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good on BT it's about time Sky had some real competition :)
    Forum Member

I know for the foreseeable future, it's going probably going to drive prices up as they outbid each other and try and recover their lost profits, plus it's going to mean having two providers for sport, but in the long term competition is a good thing and it can only force the prices down as they compete for custom.
    For too long Sky has been having all the cake and charging viewers what they like for them to eat it!

Just look at the broadband market etc; they're some amazing deals to be had, if there wasn't competition, then would be held to ransom. Monopoly on things are never a good thing.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know for the foreseeable future, it's going probably going to drive prices up as they outbid each other and try and recover their lost profits, plus it's going to mean having two providers for sport, but in the long term competition is a good thing and it can only force the prices down as they compete for custom.
    For too long Sky has been having all the cake and charging viewers what they like for them to eat it!

Just look at the broadband market etc; they're some amazing deals to be had, if there wasn't competition, then would be held to ransom. Monopoly on things are never a good thing.:)

I know what you mean for example BT for the first time I can remember actually has competitive pricing for unlimited broadband and as soon as BT Infinity comes to my area I will seriously consider my broadband switch from Virgin to them.
  • notorious tysonnotorious tyson Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean for example BT for the first time I can remember actually has competitive pricing for unlimited broadband and as soon as BT Infinity comes to my area I will seriously consider my broadband switch from Virgin to them.
    Since BT are going to be offering FTTP on demand where even if you live in a FTTC enabled area, you can pay BT run a fibre line into your house even if you don't live in a FTTP enabled area, would you get the full FTTP service?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since BT are going to be offering FTTP on demand where even if you live in a FTTC enabled area, you can pay BT run a fibre line into your house even if you don't live in a FTTP enabled area, would you get the full FTTP service?

It really depends on the speed of the FTTC service but I reckon Infinity 1 package will be fast enough for me.
    Forum Member

Yeah exactly, their February packages changes are the most competitive the have ever been. They've had to be.
    BT for too long has been about "We're more expensive, because we offer a better service and other benefits" Fact is, the majority of people care about price, especially in this economic climate. But you can only lose so many customers to cheaper providers...
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agrre someone needs to try and take on Sky.

Darren
  • peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the article/rumour is true, it looks like BT is being extremely serious about making a significant impact on the market. All these purchases etc are just laying down the foundations for something big in the future. I honestly think Sky should be concerned about the prospect of BT becoming a true competitor some time in the near future.

I think BT have something up there sleeve, that they are keeping very much to there selfs for the moment
    Forum Member
    peter05 wrote: »
    I think BT have something up there sleeve, that they are keeping very much to there selfs for the moment

It's the best way to be in that industry. Don't show the competition the hands you have to play, as Sky have history being ruthless. They will do anything to get their way. They're an amazing business to be honest. VM tried to acquire ITV, so Sky bought a substantial stake and stopped VM's deal dead in the water.

BT are being very clever, secretly bidding for pl rights without the knowledge of anyone. Completely caught Sky by surprise.
    Making important acquisitions. Signing up the right names. Securing the Olympic park as their base. They're doing all the right things and it's just a waiting game.

They're certainly not doing things by halves!:)
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT are being very clever, secretly bidding for pl rights without the knowledge of anyone. Completely caught Sky by surprise.
    Making important acquisitions. Signing up the right names. Securing the Olympic park as their base. They're doing all the right things and it's just a waiting game.

Yet they've only got 38 EPL matches and many in the low rating Saturday lunchtime slot.

If they had come away with a majority of matches and the lucrative Sunday afternoon slots, it would be a different story.
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Yet they've only got 38 EPL matches and many in the low rating Saturday lunchtime slot.

If they had come away with a majority of matches and the lucrative Sunday afternoon slots, it would be a different story.

If there hadn't been two bidding rounds, then BT would have been the new home of the PL now.
    They still have 18 first picks. They may have less matches than the likes of what Setanta had but thy're of much better quality. Plus they have espn's FA cup rights (Not sure when these end though) plus Rugby. There's rumours about them getting some darts rights as well but this is yet tbc. They ae doing well considering they have only just started, I feel over time, it's going to be a real rival to Sky. The most realistic competition Sky has ever had. If BT can't pull this off, then I don't see who can to be honest.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus they have espn's FA cup rights (Not sure when these end though)

The 2013-14 season.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    It's perfectly understandable for a media organisation to review all of its options in order to maximise potential subscribers/reach for a certain service. Whether it actually happens is another thing. We're not going to be party to costings, etc which will ultimately influence matters.

It's difficult to judge when or if a rumour should be published. I was given a tip-off of something, but didn't publish anything. A week later it happened. Sometimes you get it right, sometimes wrong. Time will tell if the sources are right or sort-of right or completely wrong or whether it was right at the time, but not now.

Don't get too excited about a rumour though. We don't have much longer to wait to find out what will actually happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter05 wrote: »
    It's the best way to be in that industry. Don't show the competition the hands you have to play, as Sky have history being ruthless. They will do anything to get their way. They're an amazing business to be honest. VM tried to acquire ITV, so Sky bought a substantial stake and stopped VM's deal dead in the water.

Thats not actually what peter05 meant. ;)

He means with the future announcements... that there may be a few surprises around the corner.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Thats not actually what peter05 meant. ;)

He means with the future announcements... that there may be a few surprises around the corner.
    You mean the purchase of EE? Actually, that's a move I could envisage in the longer term. ;)

Anyway, I think in interviews BT has sensibly said it would not disclose its hand in advance or their competitors would prepare accordingly. If I were BT I would like to be able to launch with an Apple and Android app allowing live streaming of most channels, certainly BT Sport, from the start of the EPL. I don't how that fits in with any proposed YouView offerings.

If BT does acquire TopUp then the other loose ends to be cleared up are around BoxNation, perhaps incorporating it into a sports pack but not acquiring it outright. New funding for BoxNation was meant to be unveiled this week but nothing has surfaced yet apart from an agreement with a company to provide the channel with its own brand gaming platform.
  • Neville_BreakspNeville_Breaksp Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    nomora has upgraded BT shares to a buy target price 360p just shows what the city thinks of BT getting involved in BT SPORT.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomora has upgraded BT shares to a buy target price 360p just shows what the city thinks of BT getting involved in BT SPORT.
    That plus more importantly, cost-cutting set to be announced in BT Global and EU regulators look unlikely to intervene in broadband pricing.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's notable how strong the share prices of BT, Sky and VM have all been over the last 6-9 months.

I know the market as a whole is up significantly but even allowing for that all 3 have been pretty strong performers.

VM is slightly different in that it obviously reflects the Liberty takeover but the fact Liberty is willing to pay that price implies underlying confidence in the strength of the business.

Also remember the initial reaction to the PL auction was surprise at how much Sky and BT are paying which initially was expected to put downward pressure on their share prices.

I watch all the quarterly results presentations of all these companies and the impression I get from all 3 MDs is that they are all pretty confident of being able to push through significant price rises over the medium term.

It's interesting because on DS quite a few posters talk about increased competition pushing down prices. I am NOT interested here in kicking off another DS debate about the rights and wrongs of competition etc - I have seen those arguments 1,000 times on DS and I know them. But what I am interested in is what Livingston, Darroch and Berkett think is actually going to happen as far as their businesses are concerned and they are all pretty bullish.

That's not to say there won't be offers and discounts etc - of course there will be. But what Livingston, Darroch and Berkett are interested in is what the average customer pays and the resulting total revenue generated. (Plus of course customer growth and minimising costs etc).

NB. I know Berkett is leaving post the Liberty acquisition.
  • ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If BT add Premier Sports and Racing UK (hopefully both will be able to launch a HD channel soon), maintain extensive US sports rights and charge £15pm or less then they have my custom. The current offering would see me stretch to £10pm but only for CFB season/MLB pennant races and playoffs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @mlt11

What I don't understand is the reason for the optimism, as where Sky is concerned, its TV numbers have now plateaued, and Virgin Media have been suffering network contention for quite some time on its already over-burdened cable network.

Yet this is a new area for BT. A chance for expansion. The new YouView venture, the purchase of sports rights, the switch from being just a third party content platform to being both a content provider and platform too. And now they've started offering discounts across the board.

Whether they succeed or fail, who knows? But it is a chance for success and expansion. But as for the other two platforms? I just don't see where they're opportunity for expansion and increased profits are, in the scheme of things.