Channel 5: Why is it the least watched main channel?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
Forum Member
✭✭
looking into reasons at why channel 5 is the least watched main channel out of the 5 main ones with an average audience share of 3.8-5%. Why do u think it is?:sleep:

What's your favourite Channel 5 programme? 0 votes

Home & Away
0% 0 votes
Ice Road Truckers
0% 0 votes
Neighbours
0% 0 votes
The Wright Stuff
0% 0 votes
The Hotel Inspector
0% 0 votes
CSI Series
0% 0 votes
Big Brother
0% 0 votes
Eddie Stobart Series
0% 0 votes
Other:
0% 0 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um.

Look at it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch all the CSIs and other US shows. Stopped watching when they started with those horrid Neighbours/Jumping Kangaroo strap ads spoiling my viewing. Never went back. If they are going to spoil shows like the Americans do, then may as well watch at US pace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think CSI takes up too much of the Channel's scheduling.

- Have a new talent show maybe or bring back Family Affairs or a primetime cooking show like Masterchef?
    Any other ideas please give them:)
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    • Because it's newest
    • Because it doesn't have universal coverage
    • Because it's sh!t

;)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My budgie loves Channel 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should this be in the Broadcasting Forum?
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because when it launched, for many, it was just another channel.

Unlike C4, which launched when everyone just had three channels.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't have one outstanding show that can draw millions to it( it seems to be like a dumping ground for shows well past their best like Big Brother). BBC One has Eastenders and Doctor Who as guaranteed hits, Channel 5 seems to go more for cult shows like NCIS. This explains why ratings are rarely higher than 5 per cent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol whoops im new to this
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eterry21 wrote: »
    looking into reasons at why channel 5 is the least watched main channel out of the 5 main ones with an average audience share of 3.8-5%. Why do u think it is?:sleep:
    Because it's rubbish?

I can't remember the last time there was anything on Channel 5 that I wanted to watch. It seems to be nothing but indistinguishable US crime shows.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    Because it doesn't have the heritage of the other terrestrial channels, and because it has a lower programming budget.
    Forum Member
    Mickey S wrote: »
    Because it's rubbish?

I can't remember the last time there was anything on Channel 5 that I wanted to watch. It seems to be nothing but indistinguishable US crime shows.

Does that explain why Neighbours shed a couple of million viewers when it moved from BBC1? Does it explain why a major terrestrial film premiere might only get 2.5m on C5, when a similar title would get 6m on ITV1?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 now have rights to BIG brother, can somebody give an estimate of how many viewers this will rake in?:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol whoops im new to this

If you use the red alert button on the left you can ask the mods to move it into the correct Forum. You will probably get better answers in that one. Up to you really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that explain why Neighbours shed a couple of million viewers when it moved from BBC1? Does it explain why a major terrestrial film premiere might only get 2.5m on C5, when a similar title would get 6m on ITV1?

Possibly, though Neighbours ratings were in a big decline on BBC One anyway. However, except for the Daily Express which owns Channel 5, the television pages of the papers pay little attention to Channel 5 and also it came to the party late as Sky was well established when it opened.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

They have a DOG, IPPs, credit squeezes and they split films with the news.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IIRC it didn't have Nationwide reach when it first started. Has it now got 100% coverage with all the various means of reception. Maybe that had some effect on viewer numbers? Just a thought.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Channel 5 now have rights to BIG brother, can somebody give an estimate of how many viewers this will rake in?:rolleyes:

250,000 viewers. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have a DOG, IPPs, credit squeezes and they split films with the news.

That's why I stopped watching the channel. Not because of the programmes on it. I don't know what it's like now because I've never been back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    250,000 viewers. :rolleyes:

I see you are a half full kind of guy;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    250k? No way im thinking more like 2.2-3.2 million
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Possibly, though Neighbours ratings were in a big decline on BBC One anyway. However, except for the Daily Express which owns Channel 5, the television pages of the papers pay little attention to Channel 5 and also it came to the party late as Sky was well established when it opened.

Yes, in part. But this lack of press attention is symptomatic of something larger - people just pay more attention to the biggest channels. It's not purely about a dearth of quality content, and anybody who claims that it is is massively oversimplifying the issue, either because they can't grasp the complexities or because they're trying to be funny on an internet message board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, in part. But this lack of press attention is symptomatic of something larger - people just pay more attention to the biggest channels. It's not purely about a dearth of quality content, and anybody who claims that it is is massively oversimplifying the issue, either because they can't grasp the complexities or because they're trying to be funny on an internet message board.

It's not that Channel 5 is any worse than the big two stations, their imports and films are quite good, but they came to the party late and have never had a major ratings grabbing show. Many people just see it as another digital channel, while something like ITV1 has a long heritage and still has a large core audience.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 has a high number of excellent quality documentaries, films and drama, I can't understand why the ratings are so low. Many people are snobs I guess. :confused:
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It's not that Channel 5 is any worse than the big two stations, their imports and films are quite good, but they came to the party late and have never had a major ratings grabbing show. Many people just see it as another digital channel, while something like ITV1 has a long heritage and still has a large core audience.

I absolutely agree. But you take a look at the majority of responses on this thread, and people are blaming the quality of the content. And they're either doing that through naivety or to try and be funny.