The BBC Has A Demographic Crisis...

TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It does you know, even BBC1 controller Danny Cohen knows it.

That is just another way of saying (whisper it) ratings crisis of course.

The BBC have a surfeit of older viewers though, this gives the impression of reasonable ratings.

The BBC not only are required to provide for everyone they need to provide for everyone to stay in business, ITV just need to make money so who cares they only obsess about mums.

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These "Crisis" threads are getting ridiculous.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Much more eloquently put than TOPIDO_1's

"THEIR IZ A CRYSIS KOZ I SAY SO SO THERE NAH NAH NAH AND THEIR IS NUFFINK ENI OF YOUZ LOT KAN DO ABOWT IT!!!11!1!!1!"
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    I wish posters would stop posting crisis and anti BBC v Sky threads.:mad::mad::mad:
    Ian.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I wish posters would stop posting crisis and anti BBC v Sky threads.:mad::mad::mad:
    Ian.

Agree....:)

Key stats

- BBC Three was the most watched digital channel in the hours it broadcasts in 2012 (achieving a 2.9% share)
    - Among the target 16-34 audience, BBC Three was the number one channel in 2012 – with a 6% share, up from 5.5% last year, an increase of 0.5 share points or a 9% y-o-y increase
    - BBC Three has the second highest AI of all the BBC Services across TV and Radio in 2012
    - Live +7 numbers for Cuckoo and Bad Ed 3.5m, Russell Howard 2.9m, Sun Sex 2.68m, Junior Docs 2.32m
    - On average, BBC Three reaches over 13.3 million people each week (23% of individuals), and reaches 30% of the target 16-34 audience - 4.37m
    - Successful original series, 21 eps got over 1m viewers
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Surely it would be good for ITV if BBC hoovered up the old fogies, giving ITV a chance to aim at the demos that advertisers want?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Agree....:)

Key stats

- BBC Three was the most watched digital channel in the hours it broadcasts in 2012 (achieving a 2.9% share)
    - Among the target 16-34 audience, BBC Three was the number one channel in 2012 – with a 6% share, up from 5.5% last year, an increase of 0.5 share points or a 9% y-o-y increase
    - BBC Three has the second highest AI of all the BBC Services across TV and Radio in 2012
    - Live +7 numbers for Cuckoo and Bad Ed 3.5m, Russell Howard 2.9m, Sun Sex 2.68m, Junior Docs 2.32m
    - On average, BBC Three reaches over 13.3 million people each week (23% of individuals), and reaches 30% of the target 16-34 audience - 4.37m
    - Successful original series, 21 eps got over 1m viewers

Yes... And what do the public think?

I only ask because these "stats" are a creation of the industry, used to mislead not inform.

Politicians do the same thing, everything is great they say. Look at these stats that prove it!
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

I only ask because these "stats" are a creation of the industry, used to mislead not inform.

Politicians do the same thing, everything is great they say. Look at these stats that prove it!
    So if you dismiss the actual evidence of the BBC's reach, what is your source for the claimed demographic crisis?
  • msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you dismiss the actual evidence of the BBC's reach, what is your source for the claimed demographic crisis?

Oh come on. You should know by now not to ask for such things like evidence on here!
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

What the public think is irrelevant really.

A lot of BBC TV and Radio does very well in terms of young demigraphics.

So, it has a crisis, only if you IGNORE the shows that prove the statement wrong!
  • dynamicsdynamics Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OMG, your assertions are proven wrong so you claim the information is just made up.

The stats are created out of the behaviour of the public

The lengths some people go to just cracks me up. LMAO:D
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So "stats" that look bad for the BBC are believed 100% but "stats" that look good for the BBC are "made up"? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC have a surfeit of older viewers though, this gives the impression of reasonable ratings.

This suggests a neat solution to the licence fee problem.

Allow the BBC to carry adverts, but only for Marks & Spencers, which also has a demographic crisis, the Daily Telegraph and Werthers.
  • HenryVIIIHenryVIII Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep, you can say that again
    Among the target 16-34 audience, BBC Three was the number one channel in 2012 – with a 6% share

so 94% preferred to watch something else... and that is when they are watching TV, which is something its target audience do less of anyway
    On average, BBC Three reaches over 13.3 million people each week (23% of individuals), and reaches 30% of the target 16-34 audience - 4.37m

So 68% of its audience isn't its target audience...
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HenryVIII wrote: »
    Yep, you can say that again

so 94% preferred to watch something else... and that is when they are watching TV, which is something its target audience do less of anyway

So 68% of its audience isn't its target audience...
    It's not surprising that you dismiss the stats when you completely misunderstand them. Using your reverse logic, every single channel in the UK is a dismal failure.
  • HenryVIIIHenryVIII Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not surprising that you dismiss the stats when you completely misunderstand them. Using your reverse logic, every single channel in the UK is a dismal failure.

exactly, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.
    That's what I was pointing out.

Proclaiming that a channel gets 6% audience ignores the fact that 94% are not watching it.
    Whilst 100% are paying for it.

It is just as much a spin to say it is a success as it is to say it is a dismal failure.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Surely it would be good for ITV if BBC hoovered up the old fogies, giving ITV a chance to aim at the demos that advertisers want?

There is something in this. The commercial channels do target specific demos so that is bound to make the BBC's share of these smaller - if you have channels paid for by shoppers then that is what you get.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's a crisis!

No there isn't. Here are the figures to show that its not a crisis.

The figure's are made up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Proclaiming that a channel gets 6% audience ignores the fact that 94% are not watching it.

It is just as much a spin to say it is a success as it is to say it is a dismal failure.

It won't be the same 6% always watching it, and the same 94% never watching it though.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick straw poll around my office showed that hardly anyone under the age of 30 watches BBC apart from odd programmes here and there. The rugby and Question Time appear to be the only programmes which are routinely watched.

Apart from those who watch live sport, mostly on Sky, most of the others under 30 have stopped buying a TV licence and watch all their stuff on catch-up services. If this is typical, then the BBC will have problems in a few years time.

Also in our gym at work, we voted for the 4 channels that would be displayed on the tellies - barely anyone wanted BBC - we have Al-Jazeera, Bloomberg, Eurosport and some music channel selected. Just 12 out of 175 people wanted BBC1, and 7 wanted BBC news. These are mostly young professional people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in a straw poll people don't watch the BBC, apart from the stuff they watch on the BBC.

But it sounds strange to me that people at a gym didn't want to watch something like Sky Movies.

Wonder why that was.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except that 100% (of viewers) don't pay for it.

Only householders pay the TVL,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not surprising that you dismiss the stats when you completely misunderstand them.

Using your reverse logic, every single channel in the UK is a dismal failure

It won't be the same 6% always watching it, and the same 94% never watching it though

Funniest misunderstanding Ive seen on here in a while:D

yes, a peverse logic failure. There are many, many channels that do an awful lot worse than that.

So, yes again, it astounds me the lengths some go to. Just cracks me up.:D

Next we'll have the "BARB figures are rubbish" argument.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »

Also in our gym at work, we voted for the 4 channels that would be displayed on the tellies - barely anyone wanted BBC - we have Al-Jazeera, Bloomberg, Eurosport and some music channel selected. Just 12 out of 175 people wanted BBC1, and 7 wanted BBC news. These are mostly young professional people.

Are you somehow suggesting that 175 people at a gym are somehow a representative sample of opinion?

Just out of curiosity how many wanted ITV?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Proclaiming that a channel gets 6% audience ignores the fact that 94% are not watching it..
    By that statement are you saying that only 6% of the population EVER watch the channel? Which an audience share of 6% does not mean in the slightest.

If you measure audience share at say 7:30PM and again at 9:30PM you may find the channel gets 6% each time. But it is entirely feasible that not one single person who was watching at 7:30 is also watching at 9:30.

So taken over a longer time frame, eg a year, it is quite possible for a channel with 6% share to be watched by 100% of the population.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Except that 100% (of viewers) don't pay for it.

Only householders pay the TVL,

I'm a bit lost with HenryVIIIs point, is he suggesting that the BBC should only make populist content? That if it doesnt maximise audience it is somehow wrong? ;)