Online Trophy question

1ncognito1ncognito Posts: 654
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi folks, probably a stupid question but I'm an old fashioned player that doesn't really play online.

If a game has trophies for the online bit, do you need to collect them to get the platinum trophy? I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be yes but thought I'd check.

I have a PS3 if that makes a difference.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    1ncognito wrote: »
    Hi folks, probably a stupid question but I'm an old fashioned player that doesn't really play online.

If a game has trophies for the online bit, do you need to collect them to get the platinum trophy? I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be yes but thought I'd check.

I have a PS3 if that makes a difference.

Depends

Some do and some don't as some are off DLC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are on the main list with online trophies then in most cases yes, if they are grouped in the DLC folders when you go into the trophy list then no

The best place to look for trophy advice or info is (for me at least) http://www.ps3trophies.org/ this site, you just search for the game you want and then it'll usually have a trophy guide that'll tell you how to get the trophies and whether there are online or missable ones

But personal view on online trophies is that once the severs are shutdown any one who has played the online even once should be given them all automatically, doesn't seem fair you can be locked out of a platinum because a company doesn't want to buy the bills anymore, especially with the online pass system
    Forum Member
    It is also possible to play a game for hundreds of hours and still not get them all!
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a completest and mainly single player gamer online trophies really bug the hell out of me.

If you're not playing from day one then there is a very good chance you will miss out on been able to achieve them because you will end up with one of a few problems. 1) The online server have been taken down 2) Nobody plays the game any more and 3) If there are people still playing its often a bunch of hardcores who have stuck it out and so achieving what's required for the trophies becomes all that much harder.

I do like online trophies though but wish they were classed as DLC packages which would mean they are not part of the main requirement for Platinum.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it's just me, but I still don't "get" trophies / achievements. I find it impossible to give a ****, i just wanna play the game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's just me, but I still don't "get" trophies / achievements. I find it impossible to give a ****, i just wanna play the game.

Its an added incentive, how many play a game and then sell it

With trophies/achievements i see it as kind of the new getting 100% on a game

While in the old days you just got a well done or an item (like the t shirt in vice city) nowadays you get a platinum or the 1000Gs

Sure they have no real meaning but its fun to have earned at least something for all the hardwork
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    With trophies/achievements i see it as kind of the new getting 100% on a game

This... I am the type of gamer who got all 120 stars in Mario 64 and unlocked all the cheats in Goldeneye.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    This... I am the type of gamer who got all 120 stars in Mario 64 and unlocked all the cheats in Goldeneye.

No, that was the game.

Trophies are, very often, tacky, pointless, added rubbish, stemming from Microsoft's cynical attempt at tying gamers to their platform.

Some are well implemented, granted, but some are ridiculous and make a fool of the poor sod who spends their life trying to get them all.

As a result, I don't bother with any if them.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take a sensible approach to trophies/achievements...

Assess which are achievable and those that aren't (i.e take to long, to much hassle or online) then settle for the ones I can realistically achieve.

They do add to the game for me, I enjoy completing tasks just to get a trophy, pans the game out sometimes and they can be fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trophies are, very often, tacky, pointless, added rubbish, stemming from Microsoft's cynical attempt at tying gamers to their platform.

Equally trophies are often fun, an encouragement to try certain things in a game, something to extend the life of a game, an incentive to complete on a harder setting or just something to collect during your play-through.

The most ridiculous trophy I have ever achieved was the GTA Platinum, two trophies mainly which were the 'Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic' and 'Wanted'. I totally ignored these for a long time and then basically for a laugh with my friend we tried to get the AWP trophy and had a load of fun doing it and racing each other. Then after pursuing the co-op trophies we realised we had got quite a way towards the Wanted trophy so pushed on further. We ended up with a grind on the Hangmans Noose mission which was actually really good fun trying to put in times, trying to find new routes and methods to finish that mission and TBH it was only really the last few hours we played that ever felt like a chore. The trophies gave us incentive to play more and we got a lot of enjoyment from what we played.

But I am not going to do something I am not enjoying to earn a trophy. I played Driver a few weeks again and earned most of the trophies in that but one required playing a lot of the CTF mode online and I just didn't enjoy that mode so gave up very quickly and just enjoyed the racing.
    Forum Member
    Some online are easy

Play an online match

Why not?
  • sheep88sheep88 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Online ones bug me but often once i get into it i find i quite enjoy playing online modes especially if it's co-op if you work as a team there's less idiots in my experience. I'll only really go for all the trophies if i enjoy the game enough if i don't i don't bother.
  • Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've given up on trophies, they rather spoilt my experience. Back in the day I was really into it, but recently I stopped collecting. At the moment I have about 5000 trophies (76 plats). My friend has about 200+ plats though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    There only needs to a % of 100% based on whether you got conned into shoddy DLC or not. That's all that's needed!
  • 1ncognito1ncognito Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I'll check that website out mentioned above.

I recently got my first platinum (Lego Batman 2, I'm so cool! ;) ) so had a look through my trophy list at other games I've got and could be bothered replaying to go for more plats but most of them have online trophies. I'll just have to settle for platinum-ing all the Lego games :p