Royal Baby Birth News Coverage Thread (Tuesday 23rd July 2013 - onwards)

Comments

• BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Dexter DVDs :D The only way. It's borderline creepy just how obsessed people are with seeing every aspect of this kid's life and its only a day old. It really is the Truman Show. How did rabid monarchists cope a hundred years ago when the royals led private lives and could even keep 'undesirable' kids a secret from the public?

FB made me laugh last night. All the people who could not wait for the birth were then moaning because their favourite TV show had been cancelled :D
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, I hoped DS would be a haven of Republicanism and apathetic disinterest in the royal sprogette but a few simpering Royalists must have gained entry to the DS Citadel.

Oh do shut up - what an arrogant thing to say. I'm not excited but like much of the world am following it on the news. I think it's awful how people have turned on the poster of this thread. If you don't want to watch it then fine but no need for the attitude at all.
  • solace2008solace2008 Posts: 1,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh that Nicholas Whitchell knows how to fill the gaps on BBC News.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    FB made me laugh last night. All the people who could not wait for the birth were then moaning because their favourite TV show had been cancelled :D

Always the same folk - it's like those fairweather football fans who update constantly when 'their' team is winning, then whine about football clogging up the channels the rest of the time. I wonder if the blanket coverage will do the royals more harm than good - I mean surely only a relative minority can enjoy a barrage of simpering royal correspondents giving blow by blow accounts of a baby's development. I mean, he's only a day old and already we're being treated to such delights as 'when Carole Middleton got out of a car' and 'when Charles walked into the hospital to privately see his grandson'!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh great. As if a picture of a door on the ITV news wasn't bad enough, now there's a thread.

Must rush and get a copy of the Daily Mail so I can stock up on definitely not tacky commemorative mugs and coins, etc. Maybe a tea towel with a picture of that door on it.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    solace2008 wrote: »
    At least Kensington Palace have put us out of our misery and announced they'll be leaving St Mary's tonight - before 7pm the BBC seem to think. Just in time to catch Emmerdale and EastEnders afterwards me thinks :D

I would not hold your breathe on that as they will need to repeat all that most people have already seen today :D

I hope you get your soaps to watch tho :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh do shut up - what an arrogant thing to say. I'm not excited but like much of the world am following it on the news. I think it's awful how people have turned on the poster of this thread. If you don't want to watch it then fine but no need for the attitude at all.

Thanks for sticking up for me dear poster. I couldn't understand the backlash. I knew there may be people who wouldn't care but didn't expect quite the comments I got on a harmless little thread such as this.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh great. As if a picture of a door on the ITV news wasn't bad enough, now there's a thread.

Must rush and get a copy of the Daily Mail so I can stock up on definitely not tacky commemorative mugs and coins, etc. Maybe a tea towel with a picture of that door on it.

FFS - why come into the thread then if you're so irritated by it? People are acting as if they're being forced to read this thread. Just get out of it and do yourself a favour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I would not hold your breathe on that as they will need to repeat all that most people have already seen today :D

I hope you get your soaps to watch tho :)

No, I guess not. When Prince Charles and Camilla re-emerged after their hospital visit earlier today a few journos took Charles literally when he said "in a minute" :)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for sticking up for me dear poster. I couldn't understand the backlash. I knew there may be people who wouldn't care but didn't expect quite the comments I got on a harmless little thread such as this.

Well, it is a discussion forum, and people can air their views....

I don't think any unfavourable comments were aimed at you personally (well maybe one), but at the royals and the media circus.

I was a bit annoyed earlier when I tried to watch the news and there was none, seemingly. Just Simon McCoy stood outside a hospital talking about who may or may not arrive at some future time.

But, they better not cancel Luther for some view of a couple of grinning rich twits and their child getting in a taxi at one end and getting out at the other!

If they do I'll be back on here to say what I really think, and it won't be pretty!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS - why come into the thread then if you're so irritated by it? People are acting as if they're being forced to read this thread. Just get out of it and do yourself a favour.

You're right, obviously. I hate when other people do it. Having said that, the thread isn't called "The Hospital Door Appreciation Thread" or "Royalty Appreciation Thread", so I feel my contribution is as valid as anyones.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    ITV news at 6.30 . What news...there hasn;t been one item of news apart from watching some hospital doors for 40 minutes !
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right, obviously. I hate when other people do it. Having said that, the thread isn't called "The Hospital Door Appreciation Thread" or "Royalty Appreciation Thread", so I feel my contribution is as valid as anyones.

Agreed. I thought it was just to comment on the coverage, which has mildly annoyed me, so I posted to say so.

Is this thread just for royal lovers, then? I fear it's too late to specify.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    They're Here! They're Here Omg, I'm So Excited, This Is The Best Thing That's Ever Happened Ever In History!!!!!!!!! Oxygen! Oxygen! Give Me Oxygen! And A Paper Bag! Wheeze Wheeze
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I guess not. When Prince Charles and Camilla re-emerged after their hospital visit earlier today a few journos took Charles literally when he said "in a minute" :)

So the horse- faced , marriage wrecker and the unfaithful husband visit the latest fully paid up member of blood sports society . Big deal.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night Just after the official announcement was delivered to the palace there was a funny moment. The palace official was handed the announcement and before he entered the palace he paused and half turned to the camera then thought better and turned away. The poor man looked so awkward but it was so funny.
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    So the horse- faced , marriage wrecker and the unfaithful husband visit the latest fully paid up member of blood sports society . Big deal.

OK so if that is your rather silly and childish opinion - why bother wasting your time coming on here with your inane comments? :confused:

Maybe some history lessons would improve your ignorance!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    OK so if that is your rather silly and childish opinion - why bother wasting your time coming on here with your inane comments? :confused:

Maybe some history lessons would improve your ignorance!

Oh dear. There's no need to be offensive just because you disagree with someone's opinions.
  • rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    youve summed up my feelings entirely,especially the blood sports bit...... sadists!!!:mad::mad::mad:
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. There's no need to be offensive just because you disagree with someone's opinions.

Some people take criticism of the monarchy as a personal attack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Some people on here need to wind their necks in. What is missing from your television schedule that is being taken up by the coverage? There is a life off the telly, you know.

I've only caught bits of news because I'm strong enough to switch off.

Was there any other news? Apart from the dreadful murder and bombings of mosques, I tried in vain to hear any other national or international news. I admit to being a republican but I don't begrudge any young couple their happiness and I know I have to settle for the fact that I seem to be in a minority but even my royalist friends say enough is enough. As for the US news frenzy..WoT!!!!! Though I am not surprised a a friend's family who live there noted that some American ladies bought hats and had Royal wedding parties for the Cambridges.:confused:
    PS I gather Oliver is not on a prefered lists of names.;);)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I see the Middletons I am reminded of this clip from 'Coming To America'...https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AynM9HCJ9SE
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OffTheCuff wrote: »
    Whenever I see the Middletons I am reminded of this clip from 'Coming To America'...https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AynM9HCJ9SE

I thought you'd post the scene with 'the royal penis is clean your highness' lol.

As for the clip you posted, I doubt the middletons think they struck it rich, they were/are already multi millionaires thanks to their upper middle class roots and the party planning business
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The coverage has been ridiculously over the top. By all means announce Kate toes in the hospital then 'it's a boy'. Picture released later. That's it.
    Next news.
    What's with the gathering of press and general public outside Buckiingham palace? Are they expecting the Royals to come out on the balcony and reenact scenes from The Lion King and sing Circle of Life? ;)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Some people take criticism of the monarchy as a personal attack.

It is quite possible to criticise the Monarchy without being offensive like the original comment. I don't like Camilla but would try to avoid comments like those.