Youtube + Twitter

dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is success now measured in YouTube views and how many follow an artist on twitter?

I see it written so many times that X has been viewed 25million times and has 3 million followers, but is success not measured on whether people would actually shell out money for your products?

I mean i could watch an advert a million times and not buy the item so to me that isn't a successful ad.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think teens of today think Views & "Followers" or "Likes" mean success (i`m sure you may know which fans i`m referring to) :D
    Although Billboard has started counting YT views to their chart.

tbh I`m same as you i can watch most adverts over & over and i still won`t buy that product
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're pretty much stats for people to wield out when they're out of their depth...

Example:

"Eric Clapton is one of the greatest guitarists of all time..."

"Yeah... but (insert name here) has twenty million twitter followers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly people are more likely to watch something if it has a lot of views. I think it is terrible that it has been added to the charts because it's an even worse representation of what is popular than counting downloads because a person is less likely to buy a song more than once to help boost their favorite artist, but it is simple to just hit replay and watch a video over and over and over. You don't even have to listen to it, just keep refreshing, mute, and press play.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phew, thought i was gonna ripped to shreds with this one.

I mean i once watched a sheep baaing on youtube but i wouldn't buy it, although with a bit of autotune........:D

Think i meant bleating and not baaing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    My husband has a you tube channel.! And I have twitter.
    I think people with differences can go on you tube and help advice and meet up with people they have there things in common with.
    As for twitter I just follow celebrities.! And buddy randoms
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsbadger wrote: »
    My husband has a you tube channel.! And I have twitter.
    I think people with differences can go on you tube and help advice and meet up with people they have there things in common with.
    As for twitter I just follow celebrities.! And buddy randoms

I was slagging either thing off Mrsbadger, i was saying do they measure musical success off those two mediums
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i meant i 'wasn't' slagging off, where is the edit button
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Doh sorry.!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would say that you now have to accept Youtube and Twitter as ways of producing self promotion. It is now acknowledged that people will use these resources of discovering or recognizing an artist. It is similar with Wikipedia and studying. Students are going to use this resource but it is there to be used. I suppose it is called moving on with the times.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the above - it is certainly possible for a video to have lots of views, but whether people would pay to listen to it or go to see it live is a different question; and as said, videos with a lot of views are often more likely to be watched anyway.

I think it has its uses though, and it can be a positive sign, especially for bands who are just starting out. My brother was quite a lot of views on some of his YouTube videos recognised in a shop by someone who follows him on YouTube, and whilst it does not mean 'success' (they are still very new and aren't paid for gigs yet), it is a nice thing to happen!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand it has it uses, i watch videos on youtube too, but certain acts and the media use the 'Hits' as a baromoter of success