new contract and tariff idea

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
Forum Member
✭✭
Would this work?
Would you sign up to it.?

Basically you sign a rolling 24 month contract and receive the iphone 5 for example, after 6 months the iphone 6 is released sovyou send you iphone 5 back and recieve the iphone 6 and stay on the same contract. You are basically renting the phones.

Maybe the 6 months you had the first phone would be added to the iphone 6 phone contract.

What do you think?

Im not sure how o2 refresh works so sorry if its the same

Comments

• Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that not similar to Vodafone Red Hot where you rent the phones and you have to give it back after 12 months to get the next one?
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know, here am I thinking im the next Zuckerberg or branson and all ive done is rip of Vodafone
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new phone every 6 months wouldn't work unless you were paying ridiculous amounts of money each month.
    It costs around £30/month to get one top-of-the-range handset for free across 24 months, along with a reasonable service. To get 4 handsets for free across two years, even taking into account the trade-in value of the handsets at the end of the 6 months, would cost significantly more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    A new phone every 6 months wouldn't work unless you were paying ridiculous amounts of money each month.
    It costs around £30/month to get one top-of-the-range handset for free across 24 months, along with a reasonable service. To get 4 handsets for free across two years, even taking into account the trade-in value of the handsets at the end of the 6 months, would cost significantly more.

The extra costs would be worth it as you get tp change your phone when the latest model is released
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can be as much as £59 per month to get 16GB iPhone 5 on that tariff on vodafone http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/vodafone-red-hot/index.htm
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can be as much as £59 per month to get 16GB iPhone 5 on that tariff on vodafone http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/vodafone-red-hot/index.htm

That doesn't work out much cheaper than buying over two years and at least then the monthly payments are less and the phone is yours to keep.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    O2 refresh is a much better idea. It's flawed, but it's better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    O2 refresh is a much better idea. It's flawed, but it's better.

Perhaps just at moment you will be lucky get 3G and crap speeds at that on it. Perhaps when network is up to scratch I will consider it.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Perhaps just at moment you will be lucky get 3G and crap speeds at that on it. Perhaps when network is up to scratch I will consider it.

I'm talking about the idea. not the network haha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I'm talking about the idea. not the network haha.

Oh okay my bad sorry.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The extra costs would be worth it as you get tp change your phone when the latest model is released
    You'd be better off buying the handsets yourself and going SIM-only.
    Far more flexibility than what you're proposing.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assume £35 per month for a decent handset and tariff over 24 months.

Based on a SIM-only deal we'll assume £15 is the actual contract and £20 is the phone. That means over two years the network claw back £480 for the phone. The network is not going to give you a handset for much less than that because they wouldn't make any money, meaning your tariff for a new phone every six months is going to cost you about £90 a month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    You'd be better off buying the handsets yourself and going SIM-only.
    Far more flexibility than what you're proposing.

that would be an idea. do you see anything similar working?
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    id love it but never going to be cheap like vodafone do now and the jump contract on p4u u end up paying a fortune