perfumes of the past 60's 70's 80's

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,327
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was thinking of the perfumes I remember from being a little girl and the perfumes my mother and sister used to wear, also perfumes my gran and aunts used to wear. I have fond recollections of some perfumes and bubble bath type things.

I recall a perfume cosmetic line called Aqua Manda (?) in the 70's, it came in a dark brown bottle and I always love the lid which was a flat disc embossed with flowers and fruit.

I also remember a perfume with a name associated with the sea and/or winds or breeze - something along those lines, it came in a glass bottle with a tourquoisy blue lid, I think there was a picture of a horse on it or similar and I think it was made by Avon. It was a little girl scent, very fresh and sea shore kind of smell, I loved getting it for christmas, also used to get perfume that smelled of parma violets (Devon Violets) ooh it was yummy! I remember something called Moonwind as well.

I remember knicking in to my sister's room, (she's 8 years older than me) and looking at all her Mary Quant and Biba make up, she had this gorgeous Mary Quant perfume oil in a little brown bottle with yellow flowers printed on it, I adored the smell of it as it reminded me of floral gums - oh I'd love to get my hands on a bottle of that again.

Of course the 70's was the height of male scents like Brut, Old Spice, Tabac! and who could forget the busty woman getting all het up about the smell of Hi Karate? I used to buy my dad Old Spice at christmas (poor guy) - not forgetting the soap on a rope, I was always chuffed when I found something special like soap on a rope LOL! :D

Anyone remember that unisex musk perfume? Wasn't it by 'jovan' or someone like, it came in a glass cylindrical bottle with a dabber.

My bf has just reminded me of 'Tramp' :eek: I remember wearing that! Along with my hair stuck to my roll on lip gloss coated lips :o

My first ever grown up perfume was Missoni, bought for me by my first proper bf. I felt so grown up and sophisticated wearing it, proper, posh, designer perfume! :D

Anyone have fond recollections of perfumes and buying your poor Dad gift sets of Hi Karate? :o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Denim. For Men. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie Red!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when it was just 'Charlie'... had some of that too:o :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the Yardley Perfumes being about:
    English Lavender
    Lily of the Valley
    April Violets
    Sandalwood.

Then there were all the Avon perfumes. Some of them could knock you out.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tweed!! :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved Aqua Manda ( oranges) and Aqua Citra ( lemons)

My personal favourite was Coty wild musk oil. You can still get it online, but its not the same :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old spice!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not perfumes, however, can you remember High Karate, Brut and Old spice?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kizzie wrote:
    I loved Aqua Manda ( oranges) and Aqua Citra ( lemons)

My personal favourite was Coty wild musk oil. You can still get it online, but its not the same :(

Yes, oranges! A bit choclatey as well I recall... by Goya! Loved it when I was little.

aliasjones I remember the Yardley Perfumes being about:

English Lavender
    Lily of the Valley
    April Violets
    Sandalwood.

You can still get those, my local pharmacy sells the complete range. They also sell 4711, anyone recall that one?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote:
    Not perfumes, however, can you remember High Karate, Brut and Old spice?

Hai Karate had a very sweet smell immediately recognisable when anyone wearing it, walked by. I don't think it's around anymore, but if it were, it would probably be thought of as common and chavvy.

I remember the ad for Brut with Henry Cooper "splashing it on all over" :D

Old Spice has been around for as lkong as I can ever remember.

Anyone remember the perfume "4711" ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4711 is that the stuff from Cologne?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote:

I remember the ad for Brut with Henry Cooper "splashing it on all over" :D

.........was that the homo-erotic one with Our 'Enery sharing the shower with Kevin Keegan.................. :o
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Andron For Men -by Jovan (very sexy stuff).
    1980's
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Old Spice used to have the Carmen Burana Surfing ads.........strange I can remember the ads, but not how things smelled............
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P.Nut wrote:

I also remember a perfume with a name associated with the sea and/or winds or breeze - something along those lines, it came in a glass bottle with a tourquoisy blue lid, I think there was a picture of a horse on it or similar and I think it was made by Avon.

It wasn't Sea Jade by Yardley was it? It had a sea horse on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 80s was the era of heavy, overpowering smells that stayed in the room 2 days after the wearer had left.

Opium and Poison are the most memorable for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allinuse wrote:
    It wasn't Sea Jade by Yardley was it? It had a sea horse on it.

Yes, I think it was, sounds very familiar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newwoman wrote:
    The 80s was the era of heavy, overpowering smells that stayed in the room 2 days after the wearer had left.

Yes I remember. You'd walk into a pub or a club and your eyes would water as you were hit with the combination of Poison, Giorgio, Farenheit and if you were into a bit of acid house, all the girls smelled of body shop dewberry and the boys smelled of tiger balm.

Farenheit would occasionally trigger migraines, there were a few times i'd finish up throwing up or retiring to bed with a bilious headache 'cause of Farenheit :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/QUOTE]You can still get those, my local pharmacy sells the complete range. They also sell 4711, anyone recall that one?[/QUOTE]

Sure do.
    My mother thought it "suitable" for little girls.
    I bought it for my girls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newwoman wrote:

Had both, but agree they were overpowering however sparingly you put them on.
    I feel like that about most perfumes. Love them for the first few hours then they get too cloying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aliasjones wrote:
    You can still get those, my local pharmacy sells the complete range. They also sell 4711, anyone recall that one?[/QUOTE]

Sure do.
    My mother thought it "suitable" for little girls.
    I bought it for my girls.[/QUOTE]

mmmmmmm bergamont! :)
  • ricky77ricky77 Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Spice is a very 'dad' smelling aftershave I remember.

The first one I started wearing was Eternity (CK) in the mid nineties, then Issey Mayake for ages before it got mainstream.

I wear Ultraviolet now...the ladies love it ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was more 90s but can anyone remember Tribe perfume? God it was so heady that it made me feel quite sick. Still, I couldn't be the only girl in the school who didn't wear it! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P.Nut wrote:
    Yes I remember. You'd walk into a pub or a club and your eyes would water as you were hit with the combination of Poison, Giorgio, Farenheit and if you were into a bit of acid house, all the girls smelled of body shop dewberry and the boys smelled of tiger balm.

Farenheit would occasionally trigger migraines, there were a few times i'd finish up throwing up or retiring to bed with a bilious headache 'cause of Farenheit :(

Never quite had that reaction but certainly felt sick.
    The ladies toilets in a club was the worst followed by Boots Saturday afternoon with all that spray wafting in the air.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aliasjones wrote:
    Never quite had that reaction but certainly felt sick.
    The ladies toilets in a club was the worst followed by Boots Saturday afternoon with all that spray wafting in the air.

I think it was around then that men discovered perfume (in it's expensive designer form) - hence being asphyxiated by Farenheit - a pub full of men wearing Farenheit, made me turn green! (*_')