samsung galaxy note 2

yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any good?

I can't find any thread about this phone so don't bite me.

It's almost time for my upgrade.

Comments

• andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    very very good if you can adjust to the size. I would probably S4 over it though
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Excellent phone very little to moan about screen great, battery excellent, fast I love it and would not go back to a smaller phone again. Wait till s4 is out though as it is still pricey so may drop more then.
  • hassanhassan Posts: 3,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the phone and I love it. Imagine a smartphone where you don't have to worry about the battery life? After an abysmal battery life on the desire HD, it was such a breath of fresh air when I got the note 2. I play games and movies on there, and still have more than enough juice at the end of the day.

There is no lag, at least that I've found, when browsing through menus, etc.
    Forum Member
    Yep first phone I have never had to worry about battery life with.

took off charge at 8.00 today browsed all day say about two hours, downloaded several app updates, watched whole football match on it, played couple of games for about half hour and still at 51% right now.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Yep first phone I have never had to worry about battery life with.

took off charge at 8.00 today browsed all day say about two hours, downloaded several app updates, watched whole football match on it, played couple of games for about half hour and still at 51% right now.

Sounds really good. All the reviews say it has a good battery life too. Not sure about the shape though, think I prefer the shape of my original galaxy note better. How is the muti tasking windows on it?

I'm after a bit of new tech:o but am undecided on what to get. I thought I would have made my mind up by this weekend but I haven't.

On the short list are: upgrading the storage on my iPad mini, galaxy note 2 or the galaxy note 10.1 I think the price of the note 2 puts me off though. I mean its been out nearly a year already and the note 3 is around the corner. I could get the galaxy tab 10.1 for less and I'd be getting a 10 inch tablet. As I already have the note 1 I wonder if its worth the update.
  • karma mechanickarma mechanic Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    I've got a Note 1, and my wife has just gone from an old Sony to a Note 2. The Note 2 is brilliant, and the battery life is certainly better than the first one. The 2 was bought sim-free from Expansys for £455.

The Note 2 came with Jelly Bean, I liked it so much that I've just flashed my own one with JB to narrow the gap a bit and get some of the newer features.

I do find that the slightly more oblong screen on the 2 isn't quite as useful to me as the Note 1 shape but it probably fits in more pockets.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds really good. All the reviews say it has a good battery life too. Not sure about the shape though, think I prefer the shape of my original galaxy note better. How is the muti tasking windows on it?

I'm after a bit of new tech:o but am undecided on what to get. I thought I would have made my mind up by this weekend but I haven't.

On the short list are: upgrading the storage on my iPad mini, galaxy note 2 or the galaxy note 10.1 I think the price of the note 2 puts me off though. I mean its been out nearly a year already and the note 3 is around the corner. I could get the galaxy tab 10.1 for less and I'd be getting a 10 inch tablet. As I already have the note 1 I wonder if its worth the update.

I think you'll kick yourself if you go for the Note 2, when N3 is likely to debut around September. Like you, still awaiting JB which will bridge the gap somewhat. Note 2 loses S Memo app on the home screen, and only has S Memo lite, which is annoying. Plus, form factor/style of Note 1 is far better IMO. If you have to get some tech now, there are discounts to be had on on the 10.1.
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it but could not adjust to the size difference from a iphone 4. it's huge! and doesn't fit in the hand as nicely. I sold it on ebay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    I think you'll kick yourself if you go for the Note 2, when N3 is likely to debut around September. Like you, still awaiting JB which will bridge the gap somewhat. Note 2 loses S Memo app on the home screen, and only has S Memo lite, which is annoying. Plus, form factor/style of Note 1 is far better IMO. If you have to get some tech now, there are discounts to be had on on the 10.1.

You are probably right. This time next year I'd be in the same position as I am now with the note 2. I agree I've never been on the note 2's form, I much prefer the original notes shape and design. I don't have to get any new tech I just thought I might get a new device.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are probably right. This time next year I'd be in the same position as I am now with the note 2. I agree I've never been on the note 2's form, I much prefer the original notes shape and design. I don't have to get any new tech I just thought I might get a new device.

If you fancy something new, why not try a Nexus 4 - it's relatively cheap and will give you the updated OS. Or maybe try one of the cheap Windows Phone devices, just for something different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm hoping that the Note 3, will also take onboard a more conservative form, than that of the Note 2. As the N2 was heavily inspired by the S3 and its curves / glossiness, I hope it will follow that Note 3 will draw more from the S4, which appears a bit more square and looks to have a textured print on the back. If I can get about £150 for my Note, to put towards the Note 3 later this or early next year, I'll be happy. And I insist on the Exynos octo-core processor!
    Forum Member

The n3 is not going to offer anything in respect of the note 2 though is it just not comparable. If you take that attitude of waiting you will forever be, don't get the n3 the note 3 is out soon ...........
    Forum Member

upgrading the storage on your mini? what do you mean buy another?

I really like the samsung add ons and use them often but the multi window is only useful if you use the apps that support it such as chrome as your browser etc.

The note 2 was up until very recently still quite expensive I have however seen a few deals floating about that are pretty good now.

As for form factor pros and cons to it no so much room for apps on screen but better for media playing, also the note 2 screen is better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    upgrading the storage on your mini? what do you mean buy another?

I really like the samsung add ons and use them often but the multi window is only useful if you use the apps that support it such as chrome as your browser etc.

The note 2 was up until very recently still quite expensive I have however seen a few deals floating about that are pretty good now.

As for form factor pros and cons to it no so much room for apps on screen but better for media playing, also the note 2 screen is better.

Well media is one of the things I use my devices for the most. I haven't spent a lot of time with the note 2, I've only played with it a few times in the shops. As far as I'm aware the resolution of the n2 is slightly lower than the note 1 (1280 x 768 vs 1280 x 800) and the pixel density is a bit lower. Is the display different? N2 using a non pen tile display? Would have thought the n1 has a better screen going off the specs alone. Haven't spent enough time with one to do a proper comparison. The software on samsungs phones is always good I agree.

Yea I meant buy another mini with larger storage capacity. Should have made it clearer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping that the Note 3, will also take onboard a more conservative form, than that of the Note 2. As the N2 was heavily inspired by the S3 and its curves / glossiness, I hope it will follow that Note 3 will draw more from the S4, which appears a bit more square and looks to have a textured print on the back. If I can get about £150 for my Note, to put towards the Note 3 later this or early next year, I'll be happy. And I insist on the Exynos octo-core processor!

I don't really like the s3 form factor either. I find it awkward, the OH has one and I've never liked it to look at. My contract expires in April next year so by the time the note 3 comes out (oct/nov) probably wouldn't be worth buying another handset. Although the HTC one and s4 look nice I can only seem to see myself getting another note!

I think a quad core should be enough. With JB I think even the dual core on our notes would be fast enough. My laptop is only a dual core and its snappy. But octa- core would be insane.
    Forum Member
    Well media is one of the things I use my devices for the most. I haven't spent a lot of time with the note 2, I've only played with it a few times in the shops. As far as I'm aware the resolution of the n2 is slightly lower than the note 1 (1280 x 768 vs 1280 x 800) and the pixel density is a bit lower. Is the display different? N2 using a non pen tile display? Would have thought the n1 has a better screen going off the specs alone. Haven't spent enough time with one to do a proper comparison. The software on samsungs phones is always good I agree.

Yea I meant buy another mini with larger storage capacity. Should have made it clearer.

Because of the dimensions of the phone yes the res is slightly lower 16:9 v 16:10 however the note 2 uses newer tech and not the pentile of the note 1, still bothe very good screens but the extra bit of size does seem to make a difference with media.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »

If it's like that in real life and with those specs, 'avin it! That doesn't look too shabby at all. 5.9" is big, but manageable I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's like that in real life and with those specs, 'avin it! That doesn't look too shabby at all. 5.9" is big, but manageable I think.

It sounds amazing. If those are the real specs I know I'll be upgrading earlier than April. Hopefully it has a 1080 p screen too.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Note 3 3GB RAm, octa core, damn so powerful for a phone
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I initially baulked at getting this phone because I didn't get the point of it.

I was of the school of thought that said it was too big to be a mobile phone, but too small to be a tablet PC, but reading some of the posts on here are beginning to change my mind.

The points about the battery being excellent are selling it to me.

Is the battery different to that in the S3 etc?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I seldom used the internet on my old phone. My GN2 has revolutionised things greatly. If I want a recipe for something that I saw at home and can't be bothered to write a list for the supermarket, I can now use my phone in the supermarket to look up the recipe and then find the ingredients.

I also love feedly and flipbook for reading on the bus. They have some lovely articles.

I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
    Forum Member
    3100 v 2100 so a third bigger and if battery life is important to you it does make a big difference - my kid had s3 which lasted a day if he was sensible but now he has note 2 he does comment he can't use the battery in a day.

I find that as well I would really have to hammer the phone to use it all in one day.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Note II, had it for about 5 months.

I have to admit that i get a little twitchy when new phones come out and as the Xperia Z, HTC One and S4 are out (almost out for the S4) im getting that twitchy feeling again to get a new phone.

The Note II is a big phone, there is no doubt about that BUT, the S-Pen can be usefull and the battery life is stella. As I work outside a lot, the phone is in a defender case so that does make it HUGE. Consider the case you would be using if you had the phone.