Ideas for band themed nights for BBC4?

Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As BBC 4 is running an ELO theme night soon, I thought I would ask what other 60s/70s/80s bands folk would like to see getting the same treatment.

I would like to see a Be-Bop Deluxe/Bill Nelson night.

Comments

• ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Object Z wrote: »

I would like to see a Be-Bop Deluxe/Bill Nelson night.

:D

Bill Nelson ?

Only serious suggestions please, how about The Who or The Kinks, The Small Faces ?
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

Bill Nelson ?

Only serious suggestions please, how about The Who or The Kinks, The Small Faces ?

Er, yes, Bill Nelson, in particuar in the early years after Be-Bop deluxe broke up, Red Noise, Sound on Sound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joy Division, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Tubeway Army/Gary Numan for starters. Plenty of performances and live footage available, plus the inevitable discussions of Ian Curtis' suicide and Dave Gahan's self destruction in 1996.

Also, along the lines of the Stiff records documentary, perhaps labels like Cherry Red, Mute and 4AD could be covered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    10cc(its their 40th anniversary this year!)
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Object Z wrote: »
    Er, yes, Bill Nelson, in particuar in the early years after Be-Bop deluxe broke up, Red Noise, Sound on Sound.

I must say, I haven't a bally clue who you're on about.
    That said it might come to me later, I'm not going to google though, see if the brain kicks in.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I've just googled Bill Nelson and I'm none the wiser
  • Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    I've just googled Bill Nelson and I'm none the wiser

Sailor, one arm, one eye, got a statue somewhere in London
  • Ned HuntumNed Huntum Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I'd be happy with any of: Cabaret Voltaire, David Sylvian, Echo & The Bunnymen, John Foxx, Dead Can Dance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ned Huntum wrote: »
    I'd be happy with any of: Cabaret Voltaire, David Sylvian, Echo & The Bunnymen, John Foxx, Dead Can Dance.

Excellent tastes-I'd be just as happy! :)
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ned Huntum wrote: »

Any No 1 albums or singles between them ?
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbh I would expect the likes of ELO to be about the very limit of what I would expect, commercially (as in one band, as opposed to a documentary on a record label or a group of bands or scenes)

Apart from the likes of Mr Blue Sky you don't hear that many people going on about them these days.
  • lovedayloveday Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I remember reading on another forum the other week that a Slade night was planned for transmission at some point on BBC4.
    Friday nights on BBC4 are always booked into my sky+ but never enough hours in the day to watch everything so I have to copy all my music docs to disc and one day will get round to watching them all.
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sailor, one arm, one eye, got a statue somewhere in London

Horatio could have been a ancestor of Bill, who knows.;)

Check my links for Bill Nelson.

Seems he is not main stream enough for the `poptastic` types on here. :D
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    The Cheeky Girls
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Motown story
    Forum Member
    Tbh I would expect the likes of ELO to be about the very limit of what I would expect, commercially (as in one band, as opposed to a documentary on a record label or a group of bands or scenes)

Apart from the likes of Mr Blue Sky you don't hear that many people going on about them these days.

Not that I know anything about ELO, but would their story and off shoots, work of band members, etc be illuminating to non fans?
    That's kinda the point of BBC4 docs/strands re-appraise/remind people of their influence or lesser known but quality work.
    Forum Member
    loveday wrote: »
    I remember reading on another forum the other week that a Slade night was planned for transmission at some point on BBC4.
    Friday nights on BBC4 are always booked into my sky+ but never enough hours in the day to watch everything so I have to copy all my music docs to disc and one day will get round to watching them all.

OOh Slade, loved them as a child, saw their film about 10 times.
    Probably wouldn't stand up today though.

Good luck with getting round to all the stuff you plan to watch, I've got no chance.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Purple/Whitesnake/Rainbow/Dio highlighting the links between the bands (they could also bring in a bit of Sabbath as well)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jean Michel-Jarre Night (concentrating on the early stuff preferably). Plenty of live concerts they could air alongside a doco.

Japanese Electronica/Technopop Night - YMO, Takahashi, Ken Ishii, Sakamoto etc..

Detroit Techno Night - Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Cybotron, Metroplex etc.

Tangerine Dream Night - Including Edgar Froese’s solo work (could screen Risky Business or The Keep alongside a doco).

Giorgio “God” Moroder Night - Long overdue a career retrospective and proper recognition of his pivotal role in electronic music. Could screen Midnight Express alongside a doco.

Electronic Pioneers Night - Stockhausen, Louis & Bebe Baron, Gil Mellé, Robert Moog, Walter/Wendy Carlos etc..

Anne Dudley Night - A wealth of work to be covered from Art of Noise to soundtracks and collaborations with Bill Bailey. Respect and recognition is long overdue.

ZTT Night - Frankie, Propaganda, Trevor Horn etc

Cold Wave/Minimal Wave Night - A light needs to be shone on all those bedroom-synth artists from the late 70s and 80s. Band names would be unfamiliar to all but the cognoscenti but the futuristic quality of the music would be clear for all to hear.

Les Disques du Crépuscule Night - Paul Haig etc..

I’d also go along with Dead Can Dance, John Foxx, Gary Numan, Bill Nelson and 4AD.
    Forum Member
    Giorgio Moroder and his various projects, yes
    Electronic Pioneers yes.
    Everything else mentioned above, not for me and I'm not informed enough to make a decision about 'worthiness', unlikely I'd watch them anyway.

Oh label nights, that would interest me.
    Blue Note, take in the revival and later artists if you want.

Chess and Cadet Concept off shoot label, excuse to air some Rotary Connection crew, Minnie Riperton, Charles Stepney.
    I think there's a Chess label based bio pic, probably cheap to air too.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Already had Fleetwood Mac, The Who, Pink Floyd nights hoping for a Led Zepellin night soon to coincide with the release of there new concert film "Celebration Day"
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depeche Mode night wasn't that far back - with 101 being aired... twice.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Tangerine Dream Night - Including Edgar Froese’s solo work (could screen Risky Business or The Keep alongside a doco).
    Good call - they could also include Peter Bauman's solo efforts as well, plus live concert footage (they always sounded so much better live).

Electronic Pioneers Night - Stockhausen, Louis & Bebe Baron, Gil Mellé, Robert Moog, Walter/Wendy Carlos etc..
    Yesss!! Plenty of material with Walter/Wendy Carol. Follow it up with Clockwork Orange.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones, but rather than simply concentrate on the music and the band members scandals, how about a special featuring Anita Pallenberg and Marianne Faithful, the band's partners who are a very big part of the Stones legend and in the case of Anita Pallenberg became as big a junkie as Keef. Anyone interested?